Tom and Kaye Assenmacher
P.O. Box 32 Kinsale, VA 22488
 (Please Remove 'nospam' Before Sending)

Posted 9/22/2011
Hit Counter Visits Since 9/22/2011


VOL 21, NO. 4 (FALL-2011)                                                                            22 September, 2011

The 19th Annual


Was Held Saturday/Sunday, September 17-18, 2011

Click Here for Previous Rendezvous Write-ups and Photos

The 19th Annual Alberg 37 Fall Rendezvous was held at the Assenmacher home  near Kinsale , VA on Saturday/Sunday, September 17-18, 2011.  Unfortunately, due to the recent Hurricane IRENE,  Tom and Kaye Assenmacher's 1975 MK-II Yawl, SHEARWATER was the only Alberg 37 in attendance for the Rendezvous.  

Also arriving (drive-ins) were Henk and Wendy DeVries of Cobourg, Ontario (PAWBEE); Wayne and Sherrill Bower of Bowie, MD (TEELOK); Lou and Jean Wayne of Rochester, NY (PIKA); Joran and Lin Gendell of Williamsburg, VA (ELIXIR); Ron and Cindy Strahm of Independence, MO (ENVY); and Wayne and Cindy Milroy of Oshawa, Ontario (LEEWAY II); Kip and Linda Newbould of Coles Point, VA (MISCHIEF); and Wil Hewett of Charleston, SC (FLORENCE GRAY). 

Others attending the Rendezvous were friends/neighbors/A-37 Wannabees Becky and Jerry Knop of Reisterstown, MD; Don and Judy Polifka of Kinsale, VA along with friends Jim and Susan Poole of Charlottesville, VARod and Polly Mercker of Lottsburg, VA; and Al and Rachel Zmurchak of Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

Those arriving on Friday enjoyed a pot luck dinner on Friday evening along with a lot of 'sea stories', renewed acquaintances and a good time was had by all!  Saturday dawned with drizzle/rain and cool weather, which persisted the entire weekend, eliminating congregating on the dock!   Saturday's events included 'crab picking' where a bushel of steamed local Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs were consumed (in the garage due to the rain).  Later on Saturday, a hot dog and hamburger BBQ was held, along with Becky's (Knop) famous Crab Soup!

Sunday's weather was a repeat of Saturday's, and most folks left by mid-day on Sunday.  A great time was had by all in spite of the weather!! 

Click Here For Rendezvous Photo Slideshow


Hurricane IRENE And Its Effect On Cruisers
By Tom and Kaye Assenmacher
, VA

So far, this has been quite an active hurricane season here on the East Coast of the US and Canada.  We were ‘hit’ with  Hurricane IRENE in late August, but received very little damage (tree limbs and debris – neighbors lost a few trees with minor damage).  Unfortunately, the New England area, along with parts of New York State, received major damage due to flooding.  Several canal systems connecting the Hudson River with the Great Lakes have been damaged, and some areas closed down, requiring ‘Snow Birds’ to devise alternate routes in order to ‘Head South’ for the winter.  Kaye and I are planning to ‘head south’ via the ICW in mid-October aboard our 1975 MK-II Yawl SHEARWATER.  This pre-supposes the hurricane season has quieted down considerably by departure time.  For a short web based article on our experience with IRENE, check out the following: SHEARWATER SURVIVES HURRICANE IRENE!

New Members

Welcome aboard to Ricky and Sophia Pantaleo of Marathon, FL, the owners of the 1971 MK-II Sloop (# 70) LITTLE WING (formerly the EMMA ROSE).  LITTLE WING is berthed in Marathon, FL.

Welcome aboard to Louise Becker of Darwin, Australia, the owner of the 1976 MK-II Yawl (#164) BOUSSOLE, which is berthed in Darwin.

Welcome aboard to Greg and Dara Darlington of Snohomish, WA, the owners of the 1967 MK-I Sloop (# 15) TIMESPINNER (formerly owned by Mike Carlson).  TIMESPINNER is berthed in Everett, WA.  (Ed. Note:  Years ago we received a note from a previous owner of TIMESPINNER (Peter Garnett who owned the boat during the period 1978-1984), that he had once sailed the boat to New Zealand and back.)


Potential Fire Hazard

Submitted by John Rilett

MOLLIKET - Alberg 37 MK-II Sloop (Hull # 218)
Hilton Beach, Ontario

I want to alert Alberg owners about a potential fire hazard. All the AC wiring on my Alberg 37 was non marine wire and was showing its age.  My ground fault interrupter kept popping off when I tried to use the several of the AC outlets.  So I decided it was time to replace all old wire with marine grade wire.  When I was removing the wire from the shore power inlet I noticed a bare wire.  This was not apparent on casual inspection because the cable had electrical tape wrapped around it.  The tape was old and friable and easily fell apart exposing the bare wire.  My first thought this was the ground, but I quickly dismissed that idea.  It was apparent that the insulation had burned off the black or positive wire and melted some of the inlet receptacle and scorched the bulkhead.  The shore power was still working so I'm unsure how long the problem had existed.  If you haven't inspected your shore power connection, it might be a good idea to do so. 

Back Side of Shore Power Receptacle
(Ed. Note: This article has been ‘archived’ in the SAFETY FIRST section of the Alberg 37 website.)

MOLLIKETT is slowly getting ready for a trip south -  long held dream of her owner.  If things work out they hope to get to the Bahamas for part of the winter.) 

THEN - We also recently (9/22/2011) received the following email from John and Fleur:

“Hi Tom,  We are trying to head south but not having good luck with the Weather.  We almost made it to Port Huron when we learned the Erie Canal was closed because of damage caused by Hurricane Irene and was not expected to open again this year.  Therefore, we decided to head south via Chicago to Mobile Alabama route and are presently weather bound in Pentwater, Michigan.  We hit bottom coming in so we are waiting for wind and waves to settle before sticking our nose out again.  We've been about 3 weeks on Lakes Huron and Michigan and have not had a decent sailing day yet.  Wind has either been on our nose or no wind.  We've been held up in Lexington, MI, and Mackinaw City for 4 days each and now Pentwater.  Weather is supposed to be better tomorrow so we will be pushing on to Calumet Harbor to get our mast un-stepped.  We hope to see you in the Bahamas but not likely for Christmas.

John and Fleur aboard MOLLIKETT”



Courtesy of Sue Hyett of Ellingham, Chathill, Northumberland UK

Sue  kindly  shared the shop manual, (PDF format) with us. This manual has been archived in the Project Database section of the Alberg 37 Web Site and can be viewed or downloaded in its entirety.

News From Members

Jack Vanderloo, the owner of SOUTHERN CROSS (1977 MK-II Cutter-rig), reported in late August that they had survived Hurricane Irene quite well in Manhasset Bay, NY and were then moored in New York City (79th St. Boat Basin), and were getting the first indications of the devastation of upstate New York and the Erie Canal.  From word we received, the New York and Erie Canal Systems were heavily damaged, and numerous boats have been stranded.


Back in July, we received the following in an email from Robin Phillips, of Gillies Bay, BC, who owns the 1967 MK-I Sloop (Hull #1)  KATYDID (ex-COYOTE ANGEL): ‘Just a short note to update the website on my current location.  The boat, KATYDID, is in Bahia del Sol in El Salvador.  After a year of travel I am back in Canada to work for a few months while Katydid waits out the East Pacific hurricane season on a mooring in the estuary at Bahia del Sol.  When I return in October my plans are to move south through Central America and on to the Galapagos.  From there, in March or thereabouts, I am heading into the south Pacific.  KATYDID continues to exceed all of my expectations.  


One day I promise, I will get to that long story of rebuilding her and sailing her south.  Right now I seem to be caught up in life.  Which I think is where one should be.  



Robin Phillips”


Mike Rostron, of Bellingham, WA, the owner of the 1970 MK-I Sloop GALENA sent the following:

“I attended the annual Alberg Rendezvous June 18th in lovely Ganges, British Columbia.


West Coast Alberg Rendezvous


I had no idea until recently such an active Alberg group existed here in the Pacific Northwest -- a great group of sailors, with a shared appreciation of Alberg designs in common. This was their sixteenth year.  Appropriately  sixteen boats attended, including three Alberg 37s (all MK-Is: BRANDELARA II, GINGER TEA, and my GALENA). Other boats included a number of Alberg 30s, two Alberg 22s, and some Cape Dorys, including a rare Cape Dory 40 that everyone was salivating over.   I was pleasantly surprised to find our boat, previously named "SABRE II," has one of the best racing records in the Northwest --something I never suspected.  I regret I have never met the previous owner, Tom Ellison, who by all accounts is a legendary regional racing captain (A health issue finally stopped his racing career).   Big shoes to fill should I ever decide to race her!


I have attached a few photos of the rendezvous.  There is a shot of BRANDELARA II looking very fine.





  A-37 GINGER TEA is just as nice, but I didn't get a photo of her.  There is a photo of yours truly and GINGER TEA owner Jelle  Duyf  with our guitars in hand.  We were the dock entertainment that evening, and we performed to a very kind, lively, and appreciative audience.  


Mike Is The Guitarist On The Left With ‘No Beard’ – Jelle Is The Guitarist On The Right Of The Photo.


I can also tell you there are some fine chefs in the Alberg group.  The potluck was outstanding!  I hope to get up there again next year with my wife, who was unable to make it this year.  I urge all west coast Alberg design owners of both U.S. and Canadian extraction (especially A-37s) to make the trip to Ganges harbor (or "harbour" if you're Canadian) next year.  The 2012 rendezvous is scheduled for the weekend of June 23rd. The voyage from Washington can be excellent, often with great sailing across the Strait of Georgia, or up Haro Strait (depending on your route and departure point), and up Swanson Channel.  The Canadian Gulf Islands are not to be missed -- every bit the equal or superior to the more well-known San Juan Islands.  Just be sure your papers are in order (passports preferred)! 


Mike Rostron

GALENA   1970 A-37 #59”

Voyaging Aboard JOINT VENTURE
Off The Coast of
By Ken and Anita Tillotson

1975 MK-II Yawl, #147

Part 1- Los Roques

We left for Los Roques, Venezuela on the 13th of July- about 9,30 am.  There wasn't much wind and what there was, was on the nose from the north.  So we motored with the main awning still up.  I was expecting more wind from the northeast before nightfall, but it was slow in coming. Eventually it did, but not until nearly midnight.  The jib was pulling us nicely along as we motor sailed past the huge island of Tortuga, in its' lee for 3 or 4 hours. By 3 am we had 15 to 17 knots from the NE. Our course was WNW more or less, and so we were on a broad reach. The Autohelm did not do a very good job maintaining course, as the boat was rolling somewhat, resulting in massive overcorrection. So I was forced to hand steer or continually adjust the Autohelm accordingly.  Anita spelled me off a few times but she had trouble with the Autohelm setting and continual adjustment and the cat (Ebonera) continually wanted her attention. I finally laid down for some intended sleep whereupon it was noticed that the GPS had stopped functioning.  I immediately tried some of our rechargeable batteries in the unit, but to no avail.  I tried batteries in both of our spare GPS's and none worked - all the batteries were dead and we couldn't immediately find the battery charger.  The main GPS had a wire break and so in the end, I bypassed it with a new wire to get the unit functioning again.  Needless to say, I was quite exhausted as we neared the island/reef conglomeration known as Los Roques. We were approaching the SE corner of Los Roques and wanted to arrive around noon with the sun overhead. This time of day offers the best visibility for reef/coral hazards necessary to make a safe entrance.  By the time we got to the entrance, it was nearly 3 pm and past peak visibility.  I deemed that we could manage even though the GPS chartplotter charts, as well as the paper chart we have, did not pinpoint our position as accurately as we were used to. Anita was on the bow pointing directions to help us avoid the shallows/reefs.  We made it through the entrance and then headed north up a channel between 2 reef systems about a mile or so to an area that was safe to anchor.  We did so, in about 30 feet of water.  Our paper chart does have a disclaimer, indicating that GPS positions must be adjusted 0.1 minutes N and 0.13 minutes E. That simply is not good have to be able to see what is in/under the water.  Half a mile further to the north lies the prominent wreck of a 70 ft vessel that's probably been there for 30 or 40 years. We were comfortably at anchor with the sounds of waves crashing on the reefs interspersed with the squawks of local seabirds.  As tired as we were, we decided to forgo dinner, but indulged in a bottle of wine and retired with the sun.  It was a peaceful night, and we awoke to a beautiful sunny morning.  We weren't anxious to move along and in fact we stayed put for 2 days before pulling the hook and making the 10 or so mile northerly passage along and between the reefs to the main island El Gran Roque.  This is where all visiting yachts are required to check in. As long as your boat has already checked into Venezuela, you are permitted to remain in Los Roques for 15 days as long as you pay the appropriate and nominal fees and register with the various authorities.  It was a Saturday, when we arrived at Gran Roque and checked in with the Guardacosta (Coastguard) - but the parks department and the Authority where the fees are to be paid, were closed.  So we had to wait till Monday to complete the process.  Sunday had the wind come up and it backed to a southeasterly direction making the anchorage uncomfortable.  We decided to move a few miles to the lee of another island where some mega powerboats were anchored.  We found better shelter there, after which 2 other sailboats anchored right behind us, seeking similar shelter.  Early the next morning we returned to Gran Roque and completed our check in.  We also checked out the slim pickings in the small grocery stores. Fresh fruit and veggies was all that we really wanted, but the quality and selection were not stellar, to say the least. We had a pizza and some beer at a local patio cafe and then dinghied back to the boat in the dark. When anchoring in most places in Venezuela it is generally advisable to lift and lock your dinghy, or be without it in the morning.  We've traditionally hauled the outboard motor off the dinghy using our mizzen halyard and mounting it on the stern pulpit for the night.  No one seems to bother doing this in Los Roques, and so we haven't either...although one of the first things I check for in the morning is our dinghy.  Tuesday morning, we pulled anchor and headed to the nearby (4 miles) anchorage of Noronqui, a gorgeous array of 3 islands all joined by reef/sandbars and mostly 50 ft plus deep. We found a shallow spot about 1/2 a mile from any of the islands. We anchored there by our lonesome in 16 ft of turquoise crystal clear water. I put the ladder down, and we went swimming. I snorkeled and cleaned some growths off the waterline and dove down with some emery cloth to clean the propeller.  Numerous other sailboats came and went over the ensuing days, and many local powerboats with tourists would arrive in the morning to drop people on the beach for the day and retrieving them later in the afternoon.  Evidently, a very popular spot.  There was one guy kite surfing in our vicinity, but he definitely wasn't an expert - like we've seen in Bonaire.  The wind came up to 20 knots plus and we dragged a little, so I decided to move in closer to shore early the next morning to seek better protection and peace of mind.  The next morning, we decided to head back to Gran Roque that in 20 knots was a 2 hour beat even in these relatively sheltered waters.  And so here we are, back for another Pizza.    

Part 2 - Los Roques - Forestay

We are planning on leaving Los Roques to head in an easterly direction towards Margarita.  And since the prevailing wind, and the prevailing current will both be against us it is all the more important to consider the weather /wind/wave conditions.  We expected a good weather window for Monday July 25th. And so we motored southward from El Gran Roque, still within the confines of Los Roques, between the inner and outer reef systems, returning to the southern most anchorage which we enjoyed shortly after entering some 10 days prior.  We anchored there on Sunday afternoon anticipating our departure for the following morning.  Early Monday morning, we lifted the dinghy out of the water using the main halyard, and scraped the bottom of it to dislodge the slime.  The dinghy was deflated and tied down on the foredeck.  As we were doing this, another sailboat was approaching the anchorage.  It appeared to be an American boat that we'd met weeks earlier in Puerto la Cruz.  Looking through the binoculars, as it approached, I could clearly see a French flag flying.  As the boat neared, the name became clearly visible, and we exchanged mutual waves of acknowledgement. By the time they were finished anchoring or even before, the French flag was gone.  The three other boats in the anchorage were in fact French - evidently the American boat deemed it to be safer to fly a French flag enroute without other boats as companions.  In fact, this is the ONLY American boat that we've seen this year, in our travels.  The vast majority are French.  When we first came to Venezuela in 2008, there were more American boats as well as more Canadian boats than there are presently. 

   Shortly after 10 am we pulled anchor and proceeded to the exit point to the open ocean just over a mile south. The wind was a moderate 15 knots from the ESE, but there were steep waves to pass through as we went, making only 2 knots under power in 20 feet of water.  Anita wasn't too impressed at this point. As soon as I could, I pulled a small amount of jib out via the roller furler. This helped immensely and doubled our speed.  Within a matter of minutes, a loud bang echoed. Shortly after that the wind generator blades were hitting the backstay, and the forestay looked looser than normal. I tightened the backstay as it appeared very loose as well.  This seemed to help for a while.  And then another loud bang echoed.  The forestay and jib were sagged even more, and then one of the wind generator blades snapped off after impact with the backstay.  The jib was furled and it became clearly evident that the forestay was broken somewhere higher up as there was no apparent problem at deck level. The whole forestay was thrashing around held up only by the halyard holding the sail.  We had only gone about 2.5 miles, but I had to turn back, hardening both sheets to minimize the thrashing.  We had to return to the anchorage from which we'd just left.  I was hoping that a fitting at the top of the mast had broken and that I'd be able to fix that with another.  But somehow I thought that it would not be that easy.  We motored back in and anchored.  I had to go up the mast, and I needed my top climber.  The top climber allows me to pull myself up a 5/8 line to wherever the line leads. So I set the top climber up for my ascent, and we emptied a cockpit locker to find the extra forestay that I feared we would need.  I brought the extra forestay forward of the spreaders and told Anita that I would be dropping a line down to her from the top of the mast if  I needed her to attach the forestay for me, so that I could haul it up.  And so armed with tools, fittings, cotter pins, lines and a bottle of water, I climbed up.  I had waited until later in the day, because of the heat of the day, and the fact that there should be fewer power boats come by to throw a wake that would make me hold on for dear life.  Near the top I could plainly see that the forestay had broken right at the swage.  There was no possibility of repair.  The goal was clear. I had to undo the cotter pin holding the remnants of the old forestay, take the pin out, without dropping it.  Because I couldn't quite reach, I had to lash a line from the top of the mast with a loop for my foot to go in, to get an extra 15 inches closer to the top.  Once there, I could reach (although precariously) the fitting, and with needle nose pliers, alternating between hands and holding on to the mast with the other, I managed to get the old cotter pin out, and subsequently the pin.  I then lowered a line with an anchor shackle attached (for weight) to Anita waiting below to attach the extra forestay.  I hauled the forestay up and lashed it to the furled sail so that I couldn't inadvertently drop it.  At this point Anita indicated that a power boat was coming.  We were anchored furthest back in the anchorage, and thankfully the power boat must have seen me, because he slowed down to a crawl.  Any wake he gave was absolutely minimal.  I managed to get the new forestay attached and cotter pin installed, exclaiming “I got it ".  And then my hat blew off my head and landed in the water never to be seen again.  I made my descent, but when I got to the spreaders I installed the line for a new flag halyard that had broken previously.  Once back on deck, I began to contemplate how I would bring the old rig down without incurring further damage.  Stay tuned.... 

Part 3 - Los Roques - Roller Furl Down

As it was, 15 to 20 knots at anchor does not compel one to unfurl a large genoa(jib) with only the halyard holding the whole rig aloft.  And so it was essential to lower the rig via the halyard.  But first, the furler/lower halyard connection to the deck had to be disconnected to allow the furler drum to go forward as the halyard was lowered. Otherwise, the six foot sections of aluminum running the full length of the halyard would be in danger of bending or otherwise causing damage.  The drum and furled sail were progressively maneuvered forward over the pulpit as the halyard was slowly eased, necessitating that the drum enter the water. In this manner we managed to lower the rig, with only the top 6 ft aluminum section folding at the joint to the next section. Ultimately we had the furled sail at deck level running lengthwise and lashed to the lifeline with the drum extending forward from the pulpit about 4 ft.  We still couldn't unfurl the sail at this point.  And it wouldn't be a good idea to try another exit from here. So, we headed north the 10 or so miles back to El Gran Roque, where I hoped we could get the rig ashore to dismantle it and fold up the sail.  The sail would be no good to us at this point, since it does not have hanks with which to attach it to the new forestay,  and since it was way too large to use without the ability to furl.  We anchored near the Guardacosta(Coastguard) station and I dinghied in to explain our plight and that I needed the assistance of a larger vessel than our dinghy to bring the furled rig ashore.  The Capitan explained that his Vessel was under repair and that we'd have to seek the services of a local.  The Capitan offered the use of the large concrete pad, where we could unfurl and fold the sail etc. I dinghied over to the nearest local, explaining my plight (all in Spanish of course) and within 15 seconds he followed me to Joint Venture.  We promptly unlashed the rig, and it was aboard his 25 ft Pirogue in less than 2 minutes. Minutes later we had the furled sail on site at the concrete pad offered by the Capitan.  Minutes after that, the local on the Pirogue had me back to the boat where Anita was waiting, and we dinghied into shore to perform the tasks necessary.  I gave the friendly Pirogue driver a 50 Bolivar note (6 dollars equivalent) with which he was pleased.  He offered to come to pick us up, but of course after dismantling the    rig and compacting it all, we wouldn't need that help. No necessito ! Muchas gracias. It took about an hour and a half to compact the rig and fold the sail so we could transport it all in the dinghy back to the boat. In the meantime, our American friends had shown up, anchoring just behind us.  They had cleared out of Venezuela before they left Puerto la Cruz, and they had no intention of signing in at the Guardacosta etc. since they would only be allowed 1 day to stay in Los Roques.  They wanted to top up their water and diesel before departing El Gran Roque. And so I indicated where they could obtain both, for free.  They were headed west towards Bonaire.  We also wanted to top up our water and diesel before making another attempted departure. So in the morning, I started to dinghy towards the desalination plant. But the Americans (Larry and Deb), intercepted me, and told me that there was no water because there was no power with which to pump.  There is a hose that leads to the beachfront near the plant that allows dinghies and other shallow drafted vessels to approach with Jerry Cans that can then be filled with desalinated potable water.  So I figured not going if the power was down.  Larry also told me that the local dive shop sold diesel for $7 US per 20 liter container (which they were happy with since $20 per container was what they were used to in the States.  I asked if that included the container, Of course it did not.  I pointed towards the plant that there was a large vessel offloading cargo and fuel and that in my experience, it was free.  Larry said he'd check it out.  Off he went, but apparently came back empty handed as the line up of local boats holding multiple barrels was too daunting. In the afternoon I decided to try my luck with water and diesel.  The pumps for water were still down, but I found a local who took me to a faucet about 100 meters inland where there was some water availability.  He told me that water is stored in massive reservoirs high up on the hills and that it feeds a smaller reservoir all via gravity, from which we were tapped into. All I had to do was lug my two 30 liter (30 KG) containers back to the dinghy.  Meanwhile the line up for diesel did not seem to have abated. So from shore side I walked to the back of the cargo ship and held up my 2 measly diesel cans and shrugged my shoulders.  I was promptly waved to come aboard, and they filled them up. 50 liters of diesel for free. Coming back to the boat, Larry could see that I was loaded down with water and diesel. I explained what I did and so they went and did the same and were similarly successful. The next morning, Larry and Deb headed off west, and we decided to leave as well, but exiting from the north this time, similarly as we had done a year earlier.  There were large 2.5 to 3 meter waves as we moved out of the lee of El Gran Roque under sail and power. The water is only 100 ft deep here and so rollers coming in from deeper ocean get magnified in shallower water. With Anita at the helm as I raised an old #3 hank on working jib, screams of discouragement prompted me to turn around.  To be continued...

Part 4 - Los Roques - Exhaust Elbow

Our latest attempt to depart Los Roques has been thwarted in a big way.  One of the several large waves that we encountered in the first minutes  north out of the lee of El Gran Roque inflicted major damage to the exhaust elbow exiting the engine.  While I was at the helm, Anita indicated that a high pitched alarm was was the bilge pump alarm ..I immediately went below to check the bilge and to my horror found the water  just 3 inches below the floorboards. I had just recently installed a new bilge pump and had switched it on immediately. The engine had been shut down minutes earlier when I thought it was overheating from the smell and smoke that were billowing from the broken exhaust elbow along with the associated sea water. I had not yet diagnosed the problem.  While the bilge was being rapidly emptied by my new 2000 gph bilge pump, I was running around looking for a reason for such a rapid intake of water. I checked the head (toilet) first and then other thru hulls. No problem and the bilge was purged. I now knew the exhaust system was compromised in a big way.  We sailed downwind toward the small island group of Noronqui where we spent several days anchored about a week prior. I  also happened to mention the anchor location of Noronqui del Medio as a good one for privacy and comfort to the Americans (Larry and Deb). And so as we came into the lee of Noronqui from the north, we could see a boat anchored just where we were planning to.  We had to make 4 or 5 tacks to get ourselves to the point where we'd drop the hook. Sure enough, it was the American boat that had departed about 2 hours before us. But they were nowhere to be seen. And no response on the radio. It was only about 11 am.  Oh well.  I was most interested in looking closer at the exhaust problem. I quickly found the exhaust sagging but had to wait a little  for things to cool down. First, I had to remove the wrapping of insulation covering the exhaust piping that eventually connects with the exhaust hose. Now I could clearly see that the pipe exiting the engine had broken in a jagged fashion right in half. I knew right away that I could not make a good enough repair to be permanent.  In any case, the exhaust piping had to be unbolted from the engine at one end and from the intermediary piece that connects to the exhaust hose at the other end. It was very awkward and took nearly two hours not including swearing and grimacing.  To get a decent repair done I would have to make it to the mainland Venezuela or Margarita...or go west to Bonaire or Curacao.  So.. I started to take an inventory of my repair materials and spare parts.  I settled on epoxy steel, a double wide hose clamp, steel wire, fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin. A few more hours had the repair work waiting to set and cure. I rested for a few hours and then decided that the repair was dry enough that I could re-bolt everything.  What I hadn't accounted for was the fact that I'd made the whole thing a little bigger in the process of repair. As a result, I had to invent innovative ways to use the wrenches in what turned out to be a very tedious procedure to complete the connections.  What a Joint Venture !

   Early the next morning, we would try to depart Los Roques if my repair worked.  I started the engine and had exhaust water coming out from the exhaust where it should and everything appeared to be functioning as it should. So we pulled the anchor and set off under power. Once we were out of the lee of Noronqui and had wind and no obstructions, I stopped the engine not knowing how long my repair would last. We had an east wind of about 10 knots. We were able to sail a course of 040 magnetic making about 3.5 knots.  After a few hours we had only averaged a course made good of due north. The westerly current of about 1.5 knots, played havoc with our intentions, especially with so little wind and only a #3 jib. I decided to try the engine again, but after about half an hour it was clear that my repair had failed. So the engine was stopped and we tacked. In short order it became apparent that under these conditions we weren't going to get very far. We weren't making much easterly headway, and so we tacked back heading north again.  We needed a favorable wind shift before we could hope to avoid the reefs of Los Roques to the south.  We headed north for 6 more hours before getting knocked down, which meant time to tack.  Now we could make some easterly progress which was somewhat heartening, because it looked for a while like we might have to change our destination downwind to Bonaire.  The wind freshened to 16 knots and we were going nearly 6 knots in a SE direction, so we should have no problem clearing Los Roques if this wind would hold. By midnight, the wind had abated and shifted unfavorably. We tacked every hour or 2 or more often if it seemed advantageous.  Sometimes we'd tack and then tack right back.  Very frustrating. We'd have been under power long ago, if we had an engine that didn't spew exhaust and water directly into the bilge.  At least we've cleared Los Roques and the obvious danger, but thoughts of heading downwind still lingered. I was awake all night, and daybreak didn't bring much change. Still we fought on.  Surely more wind would come our way soon. We had to fight for every inch of progress and it was reminiscent of light air racing when thoughts of the race being called came.  But the current hadn't abated, and any progress made good was southerly. I was still more or less without sleep, save the odd catnap.  The painstaking necessity to sail the boat as efficiently as possible kept me attentive to the helm. And then miracles of miracles - a NE wind, only 8 or nine knots but NE. And so we could make some easting. With the Autohelm set, I fell asleep on the cockpit floor waking up a few hours later to find us going over 5 knots in an easterly direction. It was nightfall and things were looking up, but by midnight the wind died and shifted E with little progress net. By morning, the glassiness of the ocean was not awe inspiring. We were only 20 miles from Tortuga and refuge in a possible anchorage...but there is virtually nothing and nobody there.  Charging the batteries up to this point was the job of the trustworthy Honda inverter/generator. It was lashed on the stern atop the lazerette.  Every 4 or 5 hours it had to be started.  The Honda must be level or the low oil alarm shuts it down, So I had to tilt the unit accordingly if we had any heel.  The solar panels don't cut the mustard, the wind generator has a broken blade and the water generator doesn't put out much unless the boat is moving 4 to 5 knots at least.  Gasoline for the Honda was continuing to dwindle, and would even more so if we went to anchor if only for a rest.  So Tortuga as an interim destination was dismissed. And we didn't want to use up all the gas because the dinghy with our 6 HP Yamaha pushing on the stern quarter was our ticket to shore if there was no wind and within 15 or 20 miles of a destination.  Anita would always ask how we were doing, and I'd have to tell her where we were headed at that particular point in time. Over the past days I had given her no less than 5 different answers and it prompted me to say that there should be an annual race from Los Roques, to anywhere upwind and that one is only allowed to change that destination 5 times and that the fifth time was set in stone…. at least I was laughing.  Even increasing speed from 1 knot to 2 was heartening. Late in the afternoon the NE wind returned and before nightfall I decided to head south for the port of Carenero. The night before the NE wind died and it was still over 100 miles to Porlmar and Margarita.  We had 17 to 18 knots, and were on a broad reach headed SSW towards Carenero some 60 miles to go and moving at 6 knots plus.  We still had a full main, and I was in no mood for reefing. By 4 am we were within 20 miles of Carenero when the wind shifted from NE to ESE. We were beating again, and unable to lay the course required but still going 6 knots.  Daybreak brought the welcomed sight of the Venezuelan mainland. We continued on a port tack and ended up about 8 miles west of the rhumb line when we tacked 2 miles from shore. We had 20 knots of wind, and were moving at 7 knots in these sheltered waters. We had to beat, but it was very exhilarating and the best sailing we've ever had in Venezuela. In fact the wind strengthened over the ensuing hours as we beat at or near hull speed with a destination within our grasp.  We sailed into Carenero around noon under full main, anchoring in a sheltered lagoon near the Yacht club.  We were welcomed by many of the locals in their pirogues as we made our way in.  At the time there was only one other boat with people aboard, a French boat.  Oddly, they never acknowledged or exchanged waves. So we ignored them, as they ignored us. They left several days later. The following morning, I took the disassembled and broken exhaust pieces with us to the local Mercury outboard store.  The manager of the store ( Christian Caldera) was an extremely helpful gentleman.  After I explained our plight, he offered and drove us into Higerote, a nearby town where we might find replacement parts. We went to a hardware store, but they didn't have exactly what we were looking for.  Then he took us to a local welding shop.  The proprietor there looked at and assessed what had to be done in a matter of minutes. He told me he could cut off the damaged parts of the exhaust elbow and then weld a stronger piece of heavier gauge tubing.  He said it would take about an hour, and that it would be 150 bolivars. I told him if they did a good job I would give him 200 bolivars. That’s $24.  Muchas gracias.  I then gave the same... 200 bolivars to Christian with which he was pleased.

I reassembled the exhaust.  It works, doesn’t leak, and is still. A few days later we motor sailed the 88 miles ESE back to Puerto la Cruz. It's another 70 miles ENE to Porlamar, but time to take a rest. 

(Ed. Note: The following excerpts were sent via email by Ken and Anita in August, 2011 – their adventures continue!)

A-37 Rosters Available

If any member wants an 'UP TO DATE" roster of A-37 IOA boats/owners, just let us know via email ( - remove the "-at-" with "@" ) and we'll send you a copy via email attachment.  The roster will be in "HTML" format, and you will be able to display the roster via your web browser.  The reason we don't publish the complete roster on the A-37 website is to maintain member's privacy as the roster contains phone #s and email addresses.

A-37s For Sale

(Please check the Alberg 37 web site (A37's For Sale/Wanted) for the latest postings.) (Ed. Note: Several Alberg 37s have recently changed hands – so there are people out there looking for these great boats.)

Current offerings include:


FOR SALE - SOLSKIN - 1970 MK-I Yawl, Hull # 58 (Click here for further details and link to photo). Call John Long (410) 871-9660


FOR SALE - MARYNYA - 1973 MK-II Yawl, Hull # 123 - $35,000 USD.  Contact Michael Hughes at (replace AT with @ before sending email).  Click here for further details and link to photos.


FOR SALE - TAMAR - 1969 Alberg 37 MK-I Sloop, Hull ID Number 376954 (Hull #54)- All replaced electrical with marine wiring throughout, Ample Power smart charging and house/starter battery crossover, Blue Seas Systems panels fuses and breakers, 380 amp gel cell house batteries, all ten stainless opening ports, all replaced bronze thru-hulls and valves, Beta Marine 28hp diesel with only 12 hours running time, bronze shaft log with dripless seal, 4 bladed 14" VariProp, new propane locker and new Force 10 stove, LOTS of custom interior work. Click Here for more photos. Excellent survey from last summer, Boat is located in Bellingham, WA. $44,500.00 USD

Contact-Email (remove AT before sending) for pictures and info.


FOR SALE  - PIKA - 1967 MK I Hull #20. Currently lying Green Turtle Cay, Abacos. Cruise equipped!! See Featured A37's for extensive description and photos. $49,000 USD.

Contact Lou Wayne - email: (remove AT before sending).


SALE - 1975 Alberg 37 Mark II Sloop SCRIMSHAW, Hull #152. Cruiser/racer well equipped for both missions. One owner. Excellent racing record. Superbly maintained. Many extras including cookware, dishes, silverware, cockpit cushions, dingy, Winslow 4 man liferaft, tools, 3 size genoas, 2 spinnakers, 2 mainsails, Raytheon depth/speed/wind instruments, loran, GPS, Tiller master, 3 anchors, 150' chain/nylon anchor rode plus additional 100' nylon anchor rode, cockpit canopy.  Boat located in Annapolis, MD.




(Click On Thumbnails For Larger Photo)


2010-Gov-Cup-A-1195-w.jpg (84690 bytes)  2010-Gov-Cup-C-1675-w.jpg (57465 bytes)


Scrimshaw_Deakyne(C)-2-5x7-75.jpg (48267 bytes)Scrimshaw_Deakyne(C)-3-5x7-100.jpg (50633 bytes)Scrimshaw_Deakyne-4-5x7-100.jpg (57086 bytes)Scrimshaw_Deakyne-6-5x7-100.jpg (58266 bytes)Scrimshaw_Deakyne-8-5x7-100.jpg (31933 bytes)Scrimshaw_Deakyne-7-5x7-100.jpg (65330 bytes)

Asking $50,000 US.

Contact: Charles Deakyne. 410-647-6674,Email

For Sale - 1980 Alberg 37 MK-II Sloop Located in Port Townsend. Washington Great offshore boat. Excellent condition well maintained. Lots of sails, Profurl roller furling, Volvo diesel, Windless, Monitor and Autohelm self steering, GPS, VHF and single sideband radios, Bruce anchor with 200' chain and 150' rode, recent survey. Depth and knot meters. 

Contact James at (360) 765-3222 


FOR SALE - SOLA GRATIA, Alberg 37 Mk II Sloop #107

Clean and well kept A37. Ready for cruising! Solar panel, manual windlass, Aries windvane self-steering, 250' chain anchor rode, furling genoa, main with 3 reef points, lazy jacks, upgraded self-tailing winches, 1000 watt inverter, propane stove and BBQ, new anti-fouling, and more.  Deck recently professionally repaired and refinished.

On the hard in Toronto. Asking $51,500 Cdn.

FOR SALE: 1972 Alberg 37 MK-II sloop; recent Westerbeke/roller furling/radar etc., etc. / ready to sail! Too many toys and no time. $44,000.00 - On the hard at West Newbury, MA 

Contact Dan Lord at: 978 462 1112  


FOR SALE: GENESIS - 1967 Alberg 37 MK-I Sloop (Hull # 23) offered at $49,000 USD (Recently purchased Zodiac Cadet Series dinghy with recent 6 HP Tohatsu outboard can be negotiated). Genesis has been completely modernized, while retaining her classic lineage. She has been professionally painted, rigged, wired, and fitted with new electronics in 2007. I have owned Genesis since 1995. Over time, we completed a fairly extensive refit which is now 5-10 years old.

Main features: Awlgrip deck, mast & topsides; complete re-wire & re-plumb; recently replaced electronics, including Raymarine chartplotter, wind/speed/depth, radar, & under-deck Raymarine auto pilot. Inverter and microwave. Integrated Ipod stereo, refrigerator and hot water heater. Engine re-power with Westerbeke 44B in 2003. Rope halyards that lead to cockpit; modern ports; sails & canvas in great shape; rigged for spinnaker. 12” Flat screen installed in v-berth; custom Fairclough winter cover; and many, many other smaller items.

The work was completed over 5-7 years, and was done professionally. Extensive records and documentation kept. Boat is located in Myrtle Beach, SC. Will consider a 50% share under the right circumstances.

Click Here for Photos Contact Reid Tomlin Phone - Cell: 973-332-5701

Email: (replace AT with @)





I am looking for an A37 project boat. The motor and cosmetics are not critical but it must be structurally sound (bulkheads, hull, deck). Located on the east cost near NC is a plus. I can be reached through email at Curtis Vance(at)


Gear For Sale
(Check out the Gear For Sale/Wanted section of the website for latest listings)


Complete Alberg 37 Main Mast, Sails and Rigging For Sale Or Trade From 1973 MK-II Yawl (hull no. 111). No reasonable offers refused. Will sell whole or in parts including:

  • main sail
  • Harken furling jib
  • trysail
  • spare jib
  • 2 speed halyard winch
  • 1 speed halyard winch
  • 2 rope/wire halyards
  • spit back stay with (3) Sta-Loc terminals
  • fore stay with complete Harken furling gear
  • 2 shrouds with Sta-Loc terminals
  • 4 inner shrouds with swaged terminals

All in good working condition (apart from 1 wonky halyard sheave (fore port) that should be replaced sooner or later).


Reason for sale: converting to experimental rig using free-standing masts.

Currently in Charlottetown, PEI, CANADA

Shipping to be arranged. Grab yourself a bargain! :-)

Contact: Simon Foster

email: (replace AT with @before sending email) Tel: (Charlottetown) 902 566 1842



Alberg 37 Custom Cover for sale . The cover was made by Fairclough Sailmakers, and is listed at $1,500USD. It has been used 4 seasons and recently has been serviced for extra reinforcement and stitching (cover is currently at Fairclough's facility in New Haven, CT) .Cover retails new for $4-5,000. I have recently moved to FL and have no further need for a winter cover. Contact Reid Tomlin at: (239) 263-6877 .  Check the Gear For Sale page on the A-37 Website for a photo of the cover.

For sale - Zodiac, 4 man offshore valise liferaft. Never deployed, purchased new in 2000. Always stored inside and is in great condition. Buyer responsible for shipping and repackaging, however if it cannot be repackaged for any reason send back and we will refund the purchase price (shipping not included). Asking $800 USD.  Contact Bill and Debbie Horne:  (replace AT with @).



Gear Wanted

Al Peckenpaugh is looking for a 13" x 14" LH  (Left Hand) prop (7/8" shaft) for his 1967 MK-I Sloop GYPSY LADY. He has the Volvo MD-2 engine in his boat.  If anyone has this prop, please contact Al.  (replace AT with @ before sending)

I am looking for a spray dodger for "KUMA" my 1971 MK-II A37 Yawl, any colour will do, or even just the frame. ALSO, I am looking for an Alberg 37 Tiller with fittings to use as an emergency tiller.

Peter D McIntosh
RYA/DOT Yachtmaster (Ocean)  (remove AT and substitute @ before emailing)

Wanted as spare - Datamarine S-200 DL LCD Digital Depth Sounder Instrument.

Tom McMaster

S/V Sojourn

Web Sites of Interest

CaptainRated ( is the boating review site providing real reviews by real boaters brought to you by ActiveCaptain (


By the Editor

We are always looking for articles (cruising, racing, maintenance, etc.) and photos of your boat for inclusion on the website and newsletter.  Send the articles via email attachment in MS WORD and the photos in .JPG format if possible.  Please don’t send large files, especially high resolution photos.  Photos should be 100 kilobytes or smaller if at all possible.  We’ve had some emails with attachments which take HOURS to download. 

Hopefully, we've included most or all of the pertinent correspondence that we've received over the past few months.  Our apologies to those items which we may have missed.

We need a good candidate for "Featured A-37"  It's been several years since we had a new addition to the Featured A-37 list.  If you would like to do a write-up and submit photos of your boat, we'd like to hear from you!  Take a look at the articles on the website (click on the link above) as examples.

The A-37 IOA participates as a cooperating group with BOAT U.S., and members receive BOAT U.S. membership for half price. Just mention you are a member of the Alberg 37 Owners Group and include the Cooperating Group number GA 83253 S when you join Boat U.S. or send in your annual renewal of membership.

Have a great Alberg 37 FALL – We’ll try to publish a WINTER Newsletter while in the Bahamas, but no Guarantee! 


Tom and Kaye Assenmacher in Kinsale, VA