C/O Tom and Kaye Assenmacher 

Box 32, Kinsale, VA 22488 

(804) 472-3853

VOL XI, NO. 4 (FALL-2001) 6 October, 2001

Dick Wilke recently sent the sad news of the passing of fellow A-37 member, Gord Murphy who died on Friday, 14 September. Dick sent the following letter:

Dear Tom and Kaye,

First, a sad note. I wanted to let you know that Wendy Murphy called to say that Gord died Saturday at 12:30 A.M. at a hospital in Sarnia. He had been through a long illness, since last February, and had been in hospitals and a hospice in Sarnia. She said his wishes were that he be cremated and that a party be held at Sarnia Yacht Club for their friends.

Gord was a great sailor and friend, and we enjoyed many days of sailing on Lake Huron, Georgian Bay, and the North Channel on our boat. I sailed with Gord up Lake Huron on the first leg of his first trip south, by way of the Mississippi. On his second trip we motored down the Intracoastal Waterway from Jacksonville to West Palm Beach, and sailed across to Grand Bahama Island, the Berry Islands, Nassau, and the Exumas. He later invited me to the British Virgin Islands, and on the last trip I flew to Antigua and we sailed to St. Martin, St. Croix, St. John, and over to the British Virgin Islands again.

I have often been invited to Gord and Wendy's for drinks and dinner, and to cook-outs on the north shore near their boat at Sarnia Yacht Club, when Gord usually did the cooking.

When I saw him at the hospital recently we talked about our sailing experiences and I told him how much they had meant to me. He played a new CD of John Phillip Sousa marches for me.

We had a 50th Anniversary party at the club August 30, and Gord was not up to attending, but we had a good visit with Wendy. Gord's daughter Barb recently presented him with a second granddaughter, and came from the Toronto area so Gord could see the baby. So the family has lost one and gained one. Wendy also has a grown daughter, Bridget.

As I recall, you met Gord and Wendy when they were in the Chesapeake, and I'm glad they were able to meet you. Our Sarnia Yacht Club will not be the same without him.

Best Wishes,

Dick Wilke

Gord Murphy (front), Kaye and Tom Assenmacher, aboard
INTERLUDE, Solomons Island, MD, October, 1994

(Editor’s note: Our thanks to Dick for this beautiful letter to share with the A-37 membership. Gord and Wendy stopped for a few days visit with us in Kinsale in October, 1994 while on their way south. They were a great couple who took pride in their sloop, INTERLUDE. Gord will be missed.)


We also learned of the passing of Kathleen Blady, wife of Nick Blady. Nick recently wrote:

"Just a short note to let you know that a membership check is in the mail. My wife, Kathleen, and I found the A37 Association right after we purchased our Alberg 37. We loved the boat and enjoyed the web site. Thanks for keeping us listed even though we were not members. Cancer, not desire, kept us away. Please keep the roster listing as it is for now. Later I will change the name of the boat, Goblin, to N. O. Lady (New Orleans Lady) in her memory. We lived on board for almost three years and Kathleen loved every minute aboard. She was the perfect first mate."



Rob and Julie Lee, along with son Robbie and daughter Anna, stopped by Kinsale in late September aboard the yawl HERON on their way south for the winter after cruising the coast of Maine during July and August.

Jay Zittrer sent a photo of his yawl, SHARED WATCH under full sale – the way a yawl should be sailed!

Mike Phelps (CHRYSALIS) now has a Dutch motor cruiser and have been exploring the canals and rivers of Holland this summer.

David and Delores Cassel are thinking of installing air conditioning on their 1971 yawl INDIGO DUSK. They would like to know if anyone has installed air conditioning on their Alberg 37 Yawl that could provide them with any information? They would love to hear from someone. You can reach them at or 631 261 5414.

Lou and Jean Wayne stopped by for a few days visit with us at Kinsale in July aboard their sloop PIKA on their way back north to Rochester, NY following a 10 month cruise "down south".

Ken Kirkpatrick recently sent a photo of the 1968 sloop GANNET II, anchored in 110’ of water in front of Cassel Falls, Redonda Island in Desolation Sound (photo on web site: Ken has owned GANNET II since 1976.


Chesapeake Bay Magazine Alberg 37 Article

A very good Alberg 37 article "AMAZING GRACE" by noted sailing author, Tom Dove,   was published in the August issue of the Chesapeake Bay Magazine.  The author, the Chesapeake Bay Magazine, and the photographer, Michael C. Wootton, granted permission for us to publish the article on the Alberg 37 web site.  To view the article, simply click on the link above.


Painting IOLANTHE’s Topsides

By Dick Wilke

I painted the topsides of our Alberg last Spring, and it proved to be a major project. In preparation I watched the Interlux video on Interthane, read their literature, made an outline of steps, and a list of materials. I also read an article by Ralph Naranjo in Cruising World. I can tell you now that it isn't that easy!

I ordered everything from BOAT US so it would arrive when I returned from Florida in late April. I tried filling the usual dings and scratches with White Marinetex, but found it too soft, and tried Gray Marinetex. It has brass metallic particles, and was hard to sand down. I then used Interlux Epoxy Surfacing and Fairing Compound, which was easy to apply, adhered well, and sanded easily.

I decided to prime the hull, even though the gelcoat was in good condition, without noticeable pores. I probably could have saved many days of work. First you must remove all wax, so I used Interlux 202 Solvent Wash. This didn't do the job, so I used acetone, and finally Pettit Wax Remover, which Abbott Boats in Sarnia uses to clean their- molds. You have to wipe with a wet rag and follow with a dry one to pick up the wax.

The recommended Epoxy Barrier Coat requires sanding with 80 grit paper. A friend, Ken Head, who owns a Hughes 38, kindly offered his Porter Cable 7336 6 Inch Random Orbital Sander with Siafast P80 Disks (made in Switzerland). These attach like Velcro, are easy to change, economical, and long-lasting. What a difference that made! He even offered to help, so I bought a duplicate outfit, and we both joined in. We masked with 3M Blue tape, which can be left on for 7 days.

We rolled on the Epoxy Barrier Coat Primer with 7 inch low nap yellow rollers, and followed up with 3 inch wide foam brushes. This went on rather lumpy, and we spent a couple of days sanding it down with 180 and 150 grit disks, and then did it all over again. The result was as smooth as a baby's bottom, but we were worn out!

Ken had to leave for England, but another friend offered to help with the finish coat. He had to work on the appointed day, and the weather was perfect, so I decided to try it solo. Not a good idea! I mixed two quarts of Interthane Plus Dark Blue, added 25 percent thinner, and started in. The paint went on rather thick, but once you start, it's hard to stop. Even so, a quart might have been enough. I called the Interlux 800 number and didn't get much help. The instructions say to thin 25 to 40 percent. I told them this was a pretty wide range, and no guidance as to when to use more. They said the higher the temperature, the more thinner to use, because it evaporates faster. They also said that it's best to mix only a quart at a time to avoid mutual heating. The article in Cruising World said to keep the paint in a cooler, so next time I put a bag of ice in a pail, and put the paint pail on top. This worked fine.

1 spent over two days sanding the first coat, used 33 to 35 percent thinner, and painted the second coat with help from my friend, Fred Laidig. We used 9 inch rollers this time, and probably could have used even more thinner. This turned out much better, but not as smooth as a sprayed job. However, I will no longer have to do the long hours of buffing and waxing, or wiping with Marine Penetrol, so the upkeep should be worth all the effort.

Our fellow member, Tip Corey, tells me he has been using Interlux Brightside Polyurethane one part finish, and that is very easy to work with. In hindsight, I would probably do that the next time, even though it would not be as long lasting as the two-part Interthane Plus.

Good sailing,

Dick Wilke

Brightlingsea II’s Farewell Cruise

Tom & Agnes Westran

It is with some degree of sadness that we must report to our friends in the Great Lakes Alberg Association and the Alberg 37 International Owners Association that, after 17 years, 10 with AL30 "Ino" and 7 with AL37 "Brightlingsea II" we are Albergless. We have entrusted the care of our beloved Brightlingsea II to Susan Payette and Dan Oswald. We are sure that they love her as much as we did (and still do) and will give her the care that she has come to expect. Susan and Dan will be a very positive addition to the Alberg family.

As one of the conditions of the sale we agreed to deliver her to Toronto. We planned to make the delivery trip our "Farewell Cruise", a pleasant holiday trip to cap our great years with "Brightlingsea II". She had other ideas and didn’t want to let her chief mechanic to leave without something special to remember her by.

As usual with our cruise preparations took longer than planned, we wanted everything to be perfect for the new owners. We left Iroquois July 18th, when the original plan had us in Toronto the weekend 21st. The first part of the trip was as we expected, a long slog under motor up the St Laurent. The winds were light from the East so the diesel smells were blamed on the following wind blowing the exhaust into the cockpit. Day one saw us hooked in Quinn’s Bay off Howe Island. Our "end-of-the-day" routine includes a check of all the systems, including the fuel level. The consumption seemed a bit high. The reason for the diesel smell and the high fuel consumption became apparent when I checked the engine. The drip pan was FULL of fuel! The empty waste oil container and our large store of oil absorbing "diapers" came in very handy.

The source of the leak was traced to the vicinity of the injector pump and since the Westerbeke was still hot and the sun was well set I wasn’t about to start the diagnosis and repair immediately. For obvious reasons our stay in an otherwise very pleasant anchorage does not bring back great memories. On the short trip into Kingston the fuel leak was monitored and there was a small but steady drip from under the injector pump. By the time we docked in Confederation Basin the drip pan had another store of fuel in the pan and the Westerbeke was good and hot, too hot to handle so we took the rest of the day off to recharge and prepare for the task ahead.

The one bit of preparation included a trip to Canadian Tire and the purchase of a set of their Stubby Combination wrenches. I wasn’t exactly sure of the source of the leak but I did know that with the engine installed there would be very limited wrench clearance on any of the injector pipe nuts. I was right and the $ 40 cost of the set was worth it for the one wrench essential for the job.

The source of the leak was traced to the #2 injector pipe at the pump end, the pipe that’s at the very bottom of the pump and difficult to get at when the engine’s on the bench and impossible when installed. Once the exhaust manifold, oil filter and a few more bits were removed from the port side of the engine I was ready to try to get at the source of the problem. The purchase of the stubby wrenches paid off and I was able to get the 5/8th on the pipe nut and get about a ¼ of a turn on the nut. I trusted that this would fix the problem and reassembled the engine. Fortunately the on-board stores included a complete gasket set along with assorted gasket sealers etc. It was at this point that I made a major error. The gasket on a spin-on oil filter is a single use item. I replaced the old oil filter, started the engine and by the time I checked about a litre of dirty diesel lube oil was in the bilge! This mistake was all the more unforgivable because the stores also included a new oil filter. The filter was replaced, leaks checked and success declared. All that was left was the clean up. Many hours and dollars worth of oil absorbers later "Brightlingsea II" was ready to go again.

After topping-up with fuel we got away from Kingston and made the decision to take the "inside route" and had a very good sail up the North Channel and Adolphustown Reach on the 21st. This is what we are supposed to be doing on this cruise. The fluky winds around Glenora got us back on the motor and we made it an early day and hooked behind Witlow Point in Hay Bay, a great anchorage. When the engine was checked after a couple of hours of running the only signs of leakage was the normal Westerbeke incontinence.

The trip across the Bay of Quinte was a straight motor sail slog into 20 knots right on the nose that made reaching the Murray Canal a relief. During the trip across the bay the bilge alarm decided to give us a bit of a scare by sounding, the bilge was dry, just one more repair to do. We stopped at the Carrying Place Bridge to check the alarm and to do another leak check (there were none) and decided to hang on the canal wall for the day rather than press on, we needed a bit of R&R.

When we left the Murray Canal on the 24th we were looking forward to a pleasant sail on Lake Ontario. Of the seven hours it took us to get to Cobourg four were on the engine and the balance drifting at two to three knots in very light winds and very high temperatures, accompanied by biting flies. These little beasts are a summer feature on Lake Ontario and can make hot, light air days very unpleasant. The day was not without it’s good points. We had a mini Alberg rendezvous with "7 of Hearts" an Alberg 30 and "Tumbleweed" a Cape Dory 36. We were very happy to see that Cobourg’s City Marina has maintained their very high standards that we enjoyed on previous visits, it’s one of the best run marinas on the lake.

Our plan for the 25th was to go directly to Toronto in one jump; Lake Ontario had other ideas. The winds were only in the 15-knot range, right on the nose of course but the lake was very rough. There had been heavy weather at the western end of the lake and the left over swells were making conditions most unpleasant. By the time Newcastle was abeam four hours later we had had enough; it’s suppose to be fun. After a late breakfast/early lunch we used the rest of the day on chores. The bilge alarm float switch was replaced and she got a proper cleaning.

Our last day cruising with "Brightlingsea II" was an uneventful motor sail to Toronto and our last night aboard was spent on the wall at Hanlan’s Point on the Toronto islands. It’s easy to forget that you are in the Canada’s largest city when you are berthed in the Toronto Islands; it is just so tranquil. When you get tired of the quiet a 20-minute ferry ride gets you to the city’s action.

The 26th was hand-over day. After we filled her with fuel, pumped her holding tank, removed our "stuff" and did a review of her systems with Susan and Dan we left "Brightlingsea II" on her new mooring at the Aquatic Park Sailing Club in Toronto’s Outer Harbour. If we did not know that she had new owners who cared for her so much the parting would have been more difficult. We were sad to see her go but very happy to see that Susan and Dan got the boat they wanted and that she would be very well cared for.

Our "Farewell Cruise" didn’t go as planned (what cruise ever does) but we left "Brightlingsea II" with nothing but good memories. She was a very demanding mistress but at no time did we ever think of giving up on her. The time was right to turn her over to new owners who we are sure will enjoy and care for her as much as we did. Just because we are no longer active Alberg owners does not mean that we want to cut all ties with the many friends we have met in the Alberg family. Please keep in touch. It is doubtful that "Brightlingsea II" will be our last boat, in fact there is still one vessel in the family. We still have "Patience", the beautiful little tender that accompanied "Ino" on her many adventures, plus there is a store of "boat stuff" waiting for our next move.

As a footnote to this tale we would dispute the conventional wisdom that states "The happiest days of a sailors life is the day that he buys a boat and the day that he sells one". On the 27th of July we discovered one day that tops those two, "The day the cheque clears the bank!"


By Tom Assenmacher

We've got the new engine in and rough aligned, the new exhaust system installed (Vetus) all new fuel lines, and battery cables, etc. Actually started the new engine up last weekend, and it is QUIET AND SMOOTH compared to the old VOLVO MD-2B! . We won’t be going back in the water until next spring, as we plan to remove all the old bottom paint, and put a barrier coat on the hull, so want her to dry out all winter. Also, plan to do some major rewiring too. Seems like a good time to do all this work, since the boat is stripped inside (more or less), although we hate to miss the fall sailing on the Chesapeake.

We’ve only been working on the boat on (every) weekends, and spent a lot of time "contemplating" the engine bed rework. We ordered the new engine (Phasor, Model P4-37-05 – based on a Kubota 4 Cyl. 37.5 Hp. engine) with a Hurth 8 deg. down angle transmission, which required the front beds to be lowered about 2" and the aft beds lowered only slightly. Also had to extend the beds a couple of inches closer to the centerline, as the mounts on the old Volvo were several inches wider. We used a wooden template to determine engine bed modifications.

We are going to try a using a 15RH11 prop, as this will require minimal opening of the prop aperture. We have a local prop shop which can repitch the prop should the pitch not be quite correct.

We also found some rudder damage - a 6" crack just above the bottom of the rudder which will need to be repaired.

(To be continued).


(Ed. Note: We’ve received a great number of new members for this issue of the newsletter. It’s amazing that we are still discovering "lost" A-37s).

Mickey and Heidi Cribb of Columbia, SC, purchased the 1981 sloop NORTH STAR, #220 from Glenn Arthur in July, 2001. NORTH STAR is home ported at Ashley Marina, Charleston, SC.

Bob and Marj Prescott recently purchased the 1980 sloop THULE. She was purchased from a family in Sept Iles, Quebec. Bob intends to bring THULE from Quebec to Pocasset, MA in the spring. The couple who sold me Thule are both doctors in Sept-Iles, QC. They are the 4th owners. Originally the boat was in Montreal but it went to Sept-Iles about 13 years ago, where it was owned by doctors who sold it to one another for three separate owners Martine and Michel owned Thule for the past 9 years. There is a small fleet, maybe 20 assorted sailboats, in Sept-Iles, which you can see from the map is very remote. They enjoyed cruising down to Nova Scotia, Bras d'Or, and Northumberland Strait. Thule won a couple of races over to the Gaspe, about 24 hours, but only when the weather was so heavy that the others took their sails down and motored home. You can see Thule at which is Michel's website.

Helen and Marshall Pollock, of Toronto, Ontario, own the 1970 yawl, WIND MISTRESS.

Mike Carlson of Olympia, WA, is the owner of the 1967 sloop, TIMESPINNER, #16. (Ed. Note: Is this perhaps Mario Brunetta’s former boat "LOTUS" #16??)

Peter and Nancy Steketee, of Indianapolis, IN, purchased the 1986 yawl RESOLUTE in June 2001 from Clayton and Gudie Cole. RESOLUTE is berthed in Saugatuck, MI. They are interested in converting RESOLUTE to a cutter rig – and would appreciate hearing from those members who have so converted their A-37s. They can be reached at or (317) 257-1388.

Susan Payette and Dan Oswald, of Toronto, Ontario, recently bought the 1968 sloop, MARIGOT (ex-BRIGHTLINGSEA II) from Tom and Agnes Westran. "We are absolutely delighted with our purchase of Brightlingsea II (soon to be rechristened "Marigot" - a reminder of our sailing holiday in Marigot Bay, St. Lucia). She is a 1968 sloop, hull number 26. Tom and Agnes delivered her to us here in Toronto at the end of July and we have been busy sailing her in Lake Ontario ever since. She is in immaculate condition and Tom and Agnes left her completed stocked with everything anyone could ever need. We cannot tell you how helpful they have been. We have stayed in touch with them over the past month and hope to see them in September or October."

Lorne and Annette Derraugh, of Tottenham, Ontario, purchased the 1978 sloop, RABASKA from Hank Boorsboom in June.

"Our family, my wife Annette and sons Sean (14) and Geordie (12) recently acquired "Rabaska" from Hank Boorsboom in June of this year. We sailed it from Toronto to Victoria Harbour near Midland Ontario on Georgian Bay. The very last leg was a 48 hour run from Bayfield,on Lake Huron to our marina called Queen's Cove. I can attest to the sea-kindly nature of the vessel as we were hit by a storm as we crossed Georgian Bay. Very exciting indeed! We will be sailing the Thirty Thousand Islands and North Channel areas over the next few years. Extended dreams include Chicago and Lake Superior and then...!!! We look forward to participating in club activities."

John and Judy Langley of Baddeck, Nova Scotia, bought the 1980 yawl, TALISKER (ex-LANIKAI) from Roly Pootmans 2 years ago. John and Judy own and operate the Duffus House, a waterfront Inn located in Baddeck. They have a dock and mooring in Baddeck harbour which they would be happy to share with members for an overnight while cruising the Bras d’Or Lakes.

Miguel Diaz Clement and Carlos Diaz Clement, are the co-owners of MIGUELETE, a 1971 sloop. Miguelette has the probably honor of being the southernmost Alberg 37 in this association’s roster, being home ported in City Castro, Isla de Chiloe, Chile. They have offered MIGUELETE as an alternative mode of travel in the archipelago and zones of ecological reservation. Check out the website for phenomenal scenery.



They have a line drawing of the A-37 (sloop or yawl) on one side and a color drawing of the A-37 pennant on the other. We can also place the boat name under the pennant if so desired. The mugs are available for $13 U.S. (our cost) which includes postage. (Those ordering mugs outside the U.S. please add $2.00 for additional postage.)



We have a new shipment of A-37 IOC pennants available for $30.00 U.S. which includes postage. We realize this sounds high to our Canadian friends (approx. $45C) but that is our cost plus postage. This is a very tastefully rendered and durable pennant.



Recent offerings include:




hull #14, 1967 sloop located at Berthier-sur-Mer (near Quebec City). Well maintained, recently refurbished, in good condition. Complete description and photos available by contacting Guy Leroux at
Tel: 819.389.5351



Mike Phelps is continuing to offer his 1968 sloop #42 for sale: Located St. Croix US Virgin Islands. Completed 7 year circumnavigation. Complete cruising package: Aries windvane, Westerbeke 4-107, 7 sails, 4 man liferaft, awnings, windscoop, cockpit cushions, sleeps 4, kero stove, VHF radio, stereo, knotmeter, 2 deep cycle batteries, 3 CQR anchors w/ rode, fenders w/ docklines, 11ft Avon w/ 10 hp Johnson. Sandscrew mooring available in front of St. Croix Yacht Club. Price: Reduced to $27,500US

Mike can be contacted at:



Tom Lee is offering his 1972 sloop for sale. A very clean and nicely equipped Alberg 37. Westerbeke 4-108, Furuno 1720 Radar, Loran, compass, Icom 55 VHF, Knotmeter/Log, Depth Sounder, Windex, Autopilot, Heart Interface 10 Inverter / Charger, Link 2000 Control regulator, Balmar 75-105 High Output Alternator and more. Price: US$ 52,000. Located in Bellingham, WA.

For further information contact:

 San Juan Sailing
#1 Squalicum Harbor Esplanade

Bellingham, WA 98225, USA

Tel: 1-800-677-7245

Fax: 360-671-4301






Amy Frasher may be interested in selling her 1973 yawl,. If anyone knows of someone interested, they should contact Amy at 804.798.2648 or DOLPHIN lies in Ashley’s Cove, just off Dymer Creek near Windmill Point, VA.




1972 Mark 2, hull # 97, Westerbeke 4-107, dual refrigeration, propane 3 burner stove with oven, wheel steering, cockpit cushions, hot and cold pressure water with stainless hot water heater.

Asking $34,500 US

Contact Tom Amrein at 410-676-7375




Link and Patsy Wright of Wellfleet, MA are offering the 1969 sloop TARDIS for sale. Asking price is $33,000 U.S. For further information and photos of TARDIS, please visit the A-37 website:

Or contact Link and Patsy at:

P.O. Box 3037

Wellfleet, MA 02667






1976 (Commissioned 1977) Sloop, Hull # 174. Owner recently passed away. Interior partially disassembled, undergoing rework. Boat is sound but needs to be put back together. Good project boat for the right person. For further information please contact:

Tip Corey (Friend of family)

324 London Road

Sarnia, Ontario N7T 4W1

Phone: (519) 336-3302




Genco Alberg 37 Spinnaker - Excellent condition, hardly ever used. Orange and white vertical stripes, orange yellow orange horizontal stripes w/bag. $500 + shipping (NY).

Ted Richman 716 787-0775 (evenings)



MD-2B Volvo for parts only. (had hydraulic lock in #2 Cylinder causing blown cylinder wall). All parts in excellent condition except cylinders and exhaust manifold. Good MS transmission with 1.91-1 reduction gear. Prices negotiable. Please contact:

Tom Assenmacher

P.O. Box 32

Kinsale, VA 22488

(804) 472-3853


Waytek Inc. has a full line of electrical connectors, switches, etc.  But best of all they carry "marine" grade cable (the tinned stuff) at very low prices - probably about 1/3 that of ANCOR wire products.  Unfortunately, their minimum order on marine cable is 250'.  We ordered cable for our rewire of SHEARWATER, and were happy with their service.  Also, they only carry 2 and 3 strand cable, and no single conductor, but for the prices, you can strip individual wires from the cable.  They have an on-line catalog/ordering which makes working with them very easy.

McMaster-Carr Inc. is an industrial supply house that has an on-line catalog of over 37000 items.  They sell to the public, and have been also very easy to work with.  They stock a lot of bronze and stainless steel (yes 316 stainless, the good stuff) fastenings, tubing, etc.  Take a look at their on-line catalog for those hard to find items.  It's not a marine hardware place, but has a lot of stuff that can be used on boats but not at the "marine" price.

PROGRESSIVE EPOXY POLYMERS, Inc has all the information (somewhat opinionated) you ever wanted regarding the use of epoxy.  Overall, it has some good information.

If members find interesting / applicable websites, please pass them on to us.


We’ve recently re-instated the "USERS FORUM" on the website, which is a vehicle for you to interact with other A-37 owners who need information or have information to pass along. Please visit the FORUM periodically as there may be a topic for which you are an "expert"!


Additionally, we’d like you to periodically check your "vital statistics" on the Member List and let us know what changes need to be made by use of "Member Input Form" on the Join Us page on the web site. We attempt to keep the Member List up to date, but we miss some new data.



by the Editor

The purpose of the newsletter is to provide a vehicle for the exchange of ideas relating to our Alberg 37 experiences (good and bad), maintenance tips, cruising information and to maintain a roster of Alberg 37 owners. We suggest a donation of $10.00 U.S. a year to cover costs of publishing the quarterly newsletter, postage, Xerox services, and of course, maintaining the web site. We also suggest to our Non-U.S. members that they send an International Money Order payable in U.S. dollars (a Canadian Postal Money Order works for Canadian members).

You will notice a date on the label of the newsletter mailing. This is a reminder of your responsibility to help maintain the newsletter / association. For those receiving the newsletter via Email, we ask that you honor your commitment to the Association. The Association needs your help!

Also, you should be aware of our group's agreement with BOAT U.S. whereby we get membership for half price ($8.50 vice $17.00) as members of a cooperating group. Please mention that you are a member of the Alberg 37 Owners Group and include the Cooperating Group number GA 83253 S when you join Boat U.S. or send in your annual renewal of membership. Boat U.S. membership is no longer required to make purchases from their stores or catalog, however, membership is still required for the purchase of boaters insurance.

If you have email, please use it to communicate with us, as it will make assembling the newsletter much easier.

We continually need maintenance articles, cruising tales, etc. for inclusion in the newsletter. Send us what you have and if you can send it to us in digital format (via email or on a diskette) so much the better.

For those members transiting the Chesapeake Bay, please plan to stop by Kinsale for a few days (or longer). It's only about 10 miles off the Bay (up the Potomac to the Yeocomico River), and our area is very secluded, protected (good hurricane hole) and quiet, and a very good cruising area, especially in the fall. We'd love to have you stop for a few days. Each fall we have several ‘snowbirds’ stop on their way south.

Please note our Kinsale VA phone number: (804) 472-3853 - leave a message if we aren’t at home.

If we inadvertently missed any of your correspondence, just hit us again – we’ve been getting a lot of mail, especially email. REMEMBER, THIS IS YOUR NEWSLETTER!

Tom and Kaye Assenmacher