C/O Tom and Kaye Assenmacher Box 32 , Kinsale , VA 22488 (804) 472-3853
(remove “nospamr”)



Click here to download a  more "Printable" version (MS WORD) of this Newsletter

(May take several minutes to download)

VOL. XV, NO.4  (FALL  - 2005)                                                                                                        7 OCTOBER, 2005


                                                                  NEW MEMBERS

David Blaise Beaver arrived at 11:31pm on Wednesday the 20th of July, tipping the scales at 9 lbs 5 oz and measuring in at 21.5 inches standing on his tippy toes.  Mother and son are doing fine. David, of course is the brand new son of the proud parents Bill and Heather Beaver, of Annapolis, MD.  David had already signed on as crew of the 1972 MK-II Yawl, HALCYONE, having sailed to Kinsale, VA from Annapolis and back about 7 weeks before he was born, and has subsequently experienced several other sailing sessions since he arrived!

Welcome aboard to Jon and Helen Kuhl of Camden, ME, who are the owners of the 1968 MK-I Sloop SPIRIT which they recently purchased from Alain Redder.  SPIRIT is berthed in Rockport, ME.

Welcome aboard to Catherine and Robert Bennett of Lancaster, VA who are the owners of the 1982 MK-II Sloop TWO TARS which is berthed at the Melrose Plantation Marina and Yacht Club.  TWO TARS was previously owned by Robert's sister and brother in law (Karl and Joan Doerner) from the Houston Yacht Club in Galveston, TX.


The Adventures of JOINT VENTURE – Chapter I
(1975 Alberg 37 Yawl,
Hull # 147)

Ken and Anita Tillotson (Port Whitby Marina)

July 30, 2005

As a famous writer once started his novel “It was the best of times, it was the worse of times.”  Watching our scarred veteran boat become a gleaming young beauty, we felt a deep sense of satisfaction.  But it has come at a high price in frustration. Anyone who has ever been through this process will understand.  The romantic dream becomes reality very slowly and with many setbacks. 

Here is a run down of why the boat took a month longer to paint than anticipated:  The deck required more attention than originally thought. A bow repair done in the past was done in shoddy fashion with nonstructural material and so this had to be addressed to make the boat seaworthy. This caused a 2-3 week delay in itself.

The primer coat showed small pin holes apparently caused by too hot of a gel coat when the boat was built.  These had to be filled by hand and primed again several times before the paint could be applied.

The bottom was sanded and revealed major fractures in the keel.  This was repaired with fiberglass.

The cradle pads could not be moved to paint underneath as too much of the boat’s full weight was being supported by them.  It was necessary to hire the marina’s travel lift to move her to the yard and put her on jack stands.  For the next weeks, we climbed a long ladder and worked on the installation of the new electric winch, plumbing and electrical projects.

The workers had to come to the yard to finish putting the hatch covers, and other odds and ends, etc.  The wind blew fine dust all over our newly painted boat and small stones made their way to the deck even with everyone taking their shoes off.  The original deck fittings now did not fit and it took weeks of frustration to get some of it fixed. 

The engine needed to have a heat exchanger installed to keep the salt water away from the engine parts.  The marine diesel mechanic started his work in early June.  He would come at 4:00pm, decide he needed a tool or part and leave.  Two or three days later he would do the same thing. 

After over a month of sleeping at my daughter’s home, we moved onto the boat.  The forepeak bunk was the only cleaned area of the boat.  Tools and parts covered every other surface.  We ate fast food, and used the marina washrooms.

On June 29th we were launched and towed to the newly built dock in front of the Marina building.  It appeared to be a big improvement over the ‘gravel pit’ as I had come to think of it even though we were sitting on our bottom in the mud. In fact we were dragged sideways to that dock after the masts were raised.

Work progressed slowly on the engine as we continued to install, organize and store an impossible number of things.  People were surprised to find that we had not left yet.

Compounding our difficulties was the extreme heat wave. The temperature every day was in the thirties (centigrade) and very humid.

The one bright spot was the Alberg Rendezvous.  We thoroughly enjoyed meeting many of the Alberg owners and hearing about their adventures.  As newcomers to this group, we were made to feel welcome.

Eventually the sails were on, a surround by Genco had been installed, a new barbeque mounted, and numerous lights and fans installed to make us much more comfortable.

The engine was started!  It still needed some things installed and adjusted but we were close!

We finally received the hardware to install the cockpit teak table.  This is the culmination of a series of mistakes by the seller….first we realized in the spring that the hardware to attach the table to the binnacle guard was the wrong size.  The seller was informed and we were asked to send back the wrong size and they would send the right one. We were sent brackets but without the proper hinges to mount the table. The seller was informed of this error & a new shipment with the correct brackets & hinges. That done, we waited and waited but the new shipment never arrived.  We traced it and found that they had got the address wrong. They sent it to 254 Epworth instead of 245 Epworth. But by this time, it had been returned to the Nova Scotia distributor.  It was arranged that it would be shipped again and we gave them the Marina’s address.  We should expect it in two days.  A week went by and no shipment.  The seller said it was delivered and the Marina staff said it was not received.  Erin, of the Marina staff, had a hunch and checked with the nearby marine store and there it was, delivered to the wrong address again.  She was pleased to bring it to us.  Excitedly, we opened the package and it was the wrong hardware!!!

After several conversations with the seller, they agreed to send us the right hardware by UPS.  Today it arrived and it is the right item.   Just another ongoing source of frustration finally resolved.

We kept organizing and stowing items.  We kept pushing ourselves to be ready to leave.  Then disaster!  In taking an old fire extinguisher out of the cabin, it fell and discharged its contents all over the cabin!  What a mess.  Ken and I spent most of the day trying to clean this stuff up.  The stress is getting to us.  I could not control my tears at this latest reversal. 

As usual, we finally talked out our feelings and moved on.  At 11:00 pm that night, we went shopping for staples.

The next day, we put everything away, making a master list of where everything was stowed so hopefully when I want a can of tuna, I’ll be able to find it.  Every nook and crevice is full.  A day later we took the boat out to test the engine and the new ‘Campbell Sailor’ prop.  The engine ran smoothly and the prop had us moving at a higher speed than would have been the case with the old prop.  The captain was very pleased.  We seemed to be in good shape, so we planned to leave the next day, Saturday, July 15.

The next morning we were up and ready to go.  I could hardly believe it after all this time. 

I’m on the dock with the bow line in my hand; the engine is running sweetly; and Ken puts the engine in reverse.  At once a terrible grinding erupts.  Ken turns the engine off and we stare at each other stupefied.  What on earth has happened?  After a minute to compose ourselves, Ken gets into his shorty wetsuit, mask and flippers and dives down to look at the prop.  He finds to his amazement that the prop blades have all been bent backwards and the rudder is damaged.  Little did we know how badly this damage would turn out to be! The natural thought is that the shaft has come out and backed into the rudder, particularly since the engine had just finished being worked on.

A “Harbour Day” celebration is underway this weekend so we can’t get the boat hauled until Monday.  Saturday night, while everyone is whooping it up and fire works are going off, it is a very quiet pair on Joint Venture.  My brother tries to convince us to join in and have a beer, etc. but we are just too discouraged and decline.  Monday, the boat is towed to the marina dock and hauled out of the water.  What a sight the prop and the rudder are.  The first thing everyone says is how on earth did this damage occur.  No one had ever seen anything like it.

 The boat is taken to the Whitby Boat Works where Alex tells us he can fix the rudder but it will not be done until Thursday or Friday.  We resign ourselves to living on the hard again.  It turns out that the prop cannot be fixed.  Ken orders a new one to be shipped to an address we will provide later.  The original old prop will have to do in the interim.  The shaft was not the cause of the damage and we guess that something got in between the prop and the rudder.  We will never really know.  Just a case of bad luck is the consensus.       In the meantime…some of the work done by the workers from Custom fiberglass repairs was not adequate, so Lewis offered one of his more skilled workers to fix these deficiencies while we were on dry-dock anyhow. After 5 days in the sling the rudder repair was complete. Although the rudder was badly damaged and split down the back, the lower portion of the rudder had long term water ingress and associated wetness. The lower 2/3 of the material in the rudder had to be replaced due to prior damage in years gone by. The rudder repair was done with a great deal of skill and workmanship and is now stronger than it ever was.

Saturday, July 23

Finally, the work is done, we’re launched and are once again ready to leave.

The engine/prop/rudder have not been tested but we pay our bill and say good bye to fellow Alberg owners, Wayne and Cindy (Leeway II). We put the engine in grinding.  We smoothly make our way out onto the lake and turn our bow towards the east.  As we motor sail along at 6.5 knots Ken decides to shut the engine down for a while. After several hours the wind drops and the engine is restarted but starts to overheat almost immediately.  Ken adds glycol to the cooling system which seems to solve the problem. It is clear now that that there is a leak in the new closed heat exchanger system that was installed by Durham Marine. Ken feared that it was leaking and had indicated so to Winston. Winston had said it was just shrinkage from the engine cooling. The wind is strong from the south west and good size waves push us along.  The boat surges and rolls and I am very seasick.  I sleep off and on all day and by evening I am feeling well enough to stand my 3 hour watches.  The wind has also dropped and the lake is smoother. 

Sunday, July 24

The next morning dawns hot and clear with a nice following sea and we arrive in Kingston in the afternoon. The Kingston Yacht Club is full so we head for Portsmouth Olympic Marina.    We now feel that we are on our way! We share a glass of wine with some folks on a 1971 vintage 48 ft Hughes Yawl and soon after returning to the boat, we are asleep.

Monday, July 25

We sail out of Kingston on a soft following sea headed for Morrisburg where we hope to visit briefly with friends, Ray and Christine.  The engine heat gauge continues to indicate a rise in temperature.  Ken adds glycol & water which brings down the temperature.  It is becoming obvious that the coolant is leaking away.  Ken notes that the oil level is also showing leakage.  This was supposed to be fixed by the mechanic in Whitby!  It is a beautiful day with very little wind so we motor with one eye on the temperature gauge.  Darkness is falling as we find the free dock at Morrisburg.  We immediately take an anxious Chelsey to shore and coming towards us are our friends Ray and Christine with Lucas, their 6 month old baby boy, happy to welcome us.  Just across the street, we visit and enjoy a glass of wine as we catch up on happenings.  We take them on board the boat and Christine brings us fried chicken and salad.  How thoughtful.

Tuesday, July 26

The next morning at 6:30, Christine is there to see us off with Tim Horton’s coffee and muffins. It’s another sunny day with little breeze so we continue to motor, adding coolant as necessary. We come to the first of seven locks that we must pass thru on our way to Montreal. The first one requires no change in water level but still a $20 fee is levied. At Cornwall, there is a series of American locks to pass thru where after the remainder are in Quebec

We come to a bridge which is too low to get under.  It is the type which raises up to let sailboats or freighters through.  We are forced to motor slowly around in circles waiting for the bridge to be raised.  We are concerned about the ongoing overheating of the engine.  The bridge is finally raised and we continue until we come to the next bridge of this type.  We again circle and circle.  After about thirty minutes, and this seems long, finally the bridge is raised. As Ken increases speed to get through the bridge, the engine stops and won’t start again.  We are horrified as we lose way and start to drift.  The boat slowly turns sideways to the opening but thankfully, the current carries us through without hitting anything.  Ken frantically works to get the engine started without any luck.  We raise the jib and begin to tack back and forth in the very light wind coming from the direction we need to go but thankfully we have a 1-1.5 knot current in our favor.  The channel we are in is used by lake freighters so we slowly get out of the buoyed channel as Ken continues his efforts to get the engine to start.  We spend a lot of time drifting sideways.  The engine starts!  We keep our fingers crossed as we carry on up a channel to the first lock which is near Cornwall.    After a while, we are able to enter the lock and Ken keeps the engine running.  Out of the lock, we try to motor up river to Cornwall but the current is so strong that we can’t make headway.  We try to find a marina.  The few that are there are way too shallow for our 6 ft draft. So, we continue to make progress and pass thru our 4th and 5th locks just before dark. We are quite tired.  Ken finds one with deep enough water indicated in the Sailing Directions.  As we approach the entrance, I note mostly small power boats and a couple of small sailboats.  With horror, I realize that the water is not deep enough just as we hit the rocks and stop dead! 

No amount of motor power will move us.  Slowly, the people on the boats come out to see what happened and begin to discuss in French what should be done.  A couple speak some English and we confirm that we are indeed aground.  We are asked to throw them lines and they will try to pull us off.  This is not successful, so then we throw them a halyard and they pull and pull to tip the boat on her side.  We are able to move a bit but are now sideways to the opening.  It seems hopeless but these folks are determined.  After some conversation, they decide to try from the other side of the entrance.  Ken throws lines again but as the distance is greater the line doesn’t quite reach shore.  The fellows scramble down the rocky shore to try to get the lines.  I am sure that there must have been some bruises and scrapes but they are intent on what they are doing.  Darkness has set in and the mosquitoes are out in force.  I spray Ken and myself but can do nothing for our helpers.

The boat is once again pulled over on to her side and with Ken racing the engine and with a few stops and starts we bounce and bump our way out.  There are cheers from the triumphant crew on shore and we on the boat.  Ken and I say merci, merci, thank you, thank you.  What wonderful people.  We motor out a ways and use our new windlass to anchor for the first time. It worked like a dream. Our new anchor snubber was set in place to take the strain off the windlass.  It is now dark and we have definitely had enough for this day. 

Wednesday, July 27

The next morning dawns dark and overcast with a light rain falling off and on.  Ken tries to start the motor and it will not start.  The starter will not even make a sound.  Ken spends the day trying to resolve the problem with no success.  I spend it huddled in my bunk.  We spend another night at anchor.

Thursday, July 28 

The next morning dawns bright and sunny.  Ken puts our brand new 6 hp 4 stroke Yamaha outboard motor on the dinghy and goes back to the shore to try and find a mechanic and some gas for the dinghy. He comes back saying that we have been offered free dockage at a dock along the front of the marina where the water is deep enough for us.  How to get there?   Ken decides to push Joint Venture with our 11 ft Achilles dinghy, Clipper. Ken just clips the dinghy on the starboard quarter with a couple of lines and away we go. With a nervous me at the wheel and Ken in the dinghy we slowly set out.  The sailboat moves along smoothly and as we approach the dock, Ken leaps out of the dinghy, takes the helm and brings us along side and I jump on the dock and tie up the bow.  Easy as pie! The small hamlet is Melocheville. We are unsuccessful finding any mechanical help there, but we have learned how to move the boat using the dinghy.  We are sure to find mechanical help in Longueuil (opposite Montreal) where we are going anyway to have our new Cape Horn self steering installed.  I have spoken to our good friend Ginette who manages the marina there and she asks us to go to the gas dock and she will find a place for us for as long as we want to stay at no cost.  What a nice person she is!

We set off in our new mode headed for Longueuil. The new outboard motor has to be broken in so for the first hour Ken runs the engine at about half throttle which gives us a speed of about 3 knots. Later we find that we can attain a speed of 4 knots at ľ throttle but someone must be in the bow of the dinghy to keep it from rising up; particularly when power boat wake threatens. In this fashion we travel to the next lock.  Will they accept us in this configuration I wonder?  When we enter the lock, we get looked at but no one says a word and we lock through with the dinghy on the wall side…no problem. Ken sat in the dinghy with a boathook to fend off the wall while holding the provided rope as the boat was lowered in the lock. We continued in this fashion through the next lock and up the narrow channels which we share with a lake freighter at one point.

At one of the last of the locks, we have to tie up to wait for the lock to open for us.  The “pleasure craft” dock is empty and as we head towards it, I am forward waiting for the boat’s bow to curve around to bring us along side.  As we steam straight ahead, I am frantically yelling at Ken to “bring her around” with no success.  It appears we are about to ram straight onto the dock, and I am paralyzed with fright as I suddenly hear Ken shout “Watch out!” as he comes running past me and vaults over the bow onto the dock grabbing the bow pulpit as he goes managing to maneuver the boat inches away from hitting.   The problem was a strong current which sped the boat along and created the inability of the helm to turn the boat fast enough.  We experienced the same difficulty as we were leaving.  Ken was at the helm as I powered the outboard motor.  We were heading straight for a wall where big signs indicated Danger.  Ken shouts “faster“.  I see us speeding towards the wall and let off on the gas, whereupon, Ken shouts urgently, No…more power.  I turn it up and slowly see the bow turning away from the danger.  The helm needed all the power in the outboard to turn it.  But it was nerve wracking to say the least.  As we dinghy motor towards the last lock, we realize that the gasoline powering the outboard is down to a quarter tank.  We will be lucky if we have enough to get us to Longueuil.  We are getting a lot of wake from two boatloads of young people water skiing.  I spend the afternoon in the dinghy being bounced around.  Through the last of the locks and heading out to follow the markers in to Longueuil, the level in the gas tank says empty.  We resist taking a short cut and hold our breath as we motor the last few minutes.  We tie up to the gas dock and when Ken gets the gas tank filled it takes 12.3 litres  in the 12 litre tank so it must have been fumes we came in on. The last five minutes had been through a marked channel with a cross current of 3.5 knots The boat and dinghy had to be steered at about 45 degrees to our heading…not a good place to run out of gas.

Ginette and her husband came to welcome us.  She provides us with the pass cards necessary to use the showers and laundry facilities.  She will arrange for a mechanic to come to us as soon as possible.  How wonderful it is to have friends like her.  We are safely at dock with the prospect of getting our engine problem looked after and we have arranged to get our self steering installed tomorrow.

Friday, July 29

A beautiful sunny day.  My first order of business is to go and have a shower.  I take Chelsey with me hoping that I can shower her as well.  Not possible as there are lots of people around and a big sign on the shower room door saying No Dogs.  So I walk her back and go and enjoy my first shower in a week.  Back at the boat, the fellow who will install our Cape Horn self steering is getting started.  I gather up our laundry and spend the next couple of hours washing & drying.  Back at the boat, Eric is busy with the installation of the self steering and a mechanic has been at the boat, diagnosed the problems and has left; hopefully to return with the needed parts. The new Volvo mechanic Giete, had quickly assessed the situation. The glycol solution had been leaking right on to the starter and shorted it out. That simple. A pipe in the system was not tightened and Prestone was everywhere. A simple pressure test that should have been performed by Durham Marine would have disclosed this.

After making lunch for us all, Chelsey and I go for a long walk.  It is very beautiful here right beside the water with Montreal’s skyline across the way.  There are benches, picnic tables and bicycle trails. Whenever I return to the boat Eric is hard at work with Ken’s assistance.  Eric Sicotte is the nephew of Yves Gelinas, the creator of the self steering which he used to circumnavigate.  Eric does most of the fabrication & installation of the Cape Horn units. Cape Horn Marine Products is located in OKA, Quebec

Eric works until 7:30 pm and will finish the job tomorrow.  We enjoy a roast beef dinner and look back at our adventures over glasses of wine.  What a trip it has been so far.  We wanted adventure didn’t we?

Stay tuned as we continue to make our way towards the ocean.

Ken, Anita & Chelsey  (Ed. Note:  To view the full text along with photos, go to the Alberg 37 Web Site – Main Page – Chapter II will appear in the next Newsletter.)



Sonny and Petra Power, of Mulgrave, NS, are in the process of selling their 1976 MK-II Cutter Rigged A-37 KANDACE ROSE.


Marcel Steinz (SOUTHERN CROSS), Geoff Cunliffe (THE EVERDEN), Lou and Jean Wayne (PIKA), Heather and Bill Beaver, along with their new son David Blaise Beaver (HALCYONE)  and Tom and Kaye Assenmacher (SHEARWATER), along with other friends held an impromptu “Mini-Rendezvous” at the Assenmachers in Kinsale, VA the weekend of September 24-25.  Marcel was down from Oakville, ON to winterize SOUTHERN CROSS which will winter-over at the Coan River Marina near Kinsale.  Geoff was getting his new boat FAR NIENTE ready for extended cruising, while Lou and Jean are making PIKA ready for the trip south to the Bahamas.  Heather, Bill and David drove down from Annapolis for the weekend.  A bushel of steamed Chesapeake Bay blue crabs was consumed amid much discussion of the finer qualities of the Alberg 37.


Nick Blady reports from Slidell, LA that although he and his family is well, they had to evacuate the New Orleans Area during the Hurricane Katrina tragedy.  Nick indicated that his 1971 MK-II Yawl NEW ORLEANS LADY survived the hurricane in fine shape.


Jack St. John of West Boothbay Harbor, ME is in the process of selling his 1973 MK-I Yawl FIGMENT.


Alan Peckenpaugh recently sent a link to his website relating the refurbishing of the 1967 MK-I Sloop (Hull # 4) GYPSY LADY.  To refresh our collective memories, Al purchased the "derelict" GYPSY LADY for $4000 in 1998, and has been slowly bringing her back to life over the past few years and is now nearing completion of the project.  To check out his project, go to the following website: .

Lynne Purvis has placed her 1975 Alberg 37 sloop (hull # 153) TRONDELAG, which is located in the Brisbane, AU area, on the market “Sad to give up TRONDELAG as she is such a great boat but not using her enough in the last couple of years to warrant keeping her. She’s ready to go for anyone wanting to sail the Pacific.”

Ashley Walker (GOOD NEWS) and Jay Zittrer (SHARED WATCH) (boats being located in the same marina near Kemah, TX), both survived the ravages of Hurricane RITA in September. Ashley writes: “We evacuated on Thursday after stripping GOOD NEWS of all canvas, boom, etc. and tying it down with double lines.  Got back Sunday morning while wind was still gusting around 30 knots and found both GOOD NEWS and SHARED WATCH unscathed but both sitting on their keels in about four or five feet of water.  The storm's circulation was such that when it passed east of us by about 50 miles, the north wind blew all the water out of Galveston Bay.  I actually had about 100 yards of beach in front of my house where it’s usually 3-4 feet deep.  Since then, the water has rushed back in exceeding normal tides by about 2 feet but is now settling back down.  Local reports are we experienced 70 knot winds in Clear Lake being west of the eye. Both Jay and I were out of town on respective business trips when Rita first showed up.  I couldn't return until Wednesday morning to begin gathering kids, belongings and preparing.  Jay never made it back but his family had already gone to Fort Worth and another friend had tied his boat up.  So, family and property are fine as well as the two Albergs.  We didn't just dodge a bullet, but a bomb.  Not an experience I'd recommend to anyone.  Hope to be out on the water in the annual Harvest Moon Regatta in late October with GOOD NEWS and SHARED WATCH beating up on each other well ahead of all the other boats.”


John Langley of Baddeck, NS is looking for the following items for his 1980 MK-II Yawl TALISKER: 1) Advice on where to order a good quality dodger/sail cover and awning for an A-37 yawl - looking for a manufacturer who knows the boat, has various dodger configurations and can custom make to order via phone/email.  2) Full boat cover for TALISKER - A-37 yawl, for use with masts in or out and 3) Conversion kit or replacement stove for Shipmate (kerosene) to propane.

Contact: John G. Langley

P O Box 427

Baddeck, Nova Scotia

Canada. BOE 1BO

Email: (please remove "nospam" before sending email)

Fax: 902 295-1785

Telephone: 902-295-1147


Dave and Tanya Ord of Brampton, ON, are in the process of selling their 1980 MK-II Sloop TIME PASSAGE.


Geoff and Bunkey Cunliffe of Mississauga, ON recently sold their 1979 Sloop THE EVERDEN to Steve and Audrey Behal.  Geoff and Bunkey have moved up to a Lagoon 410 catamaran in which they plan to do some extended cruising.


Mark and Debbie Crowe of Toronto are on their way “South” aboard their 1973 A-37 Yawl SEA CYCLE.  They have been sending periodic updates of their progress, and last report had them in Annapolis, MD attending the Annapolis Sailboat Show.  They plan on stopping in Kinsale for a short visit with the Assenmachers prior to leaving the Chesapeake.


Lou and Jean Wayne of Rochester, NY, have been spending the past couple of weeks preparing their 1967 MK-I Sloop PIKA for their third trip “South” to the Bahamas.  PIKA has spent the summer at the Assenmachers’ dock in Kinsale, VA.  Looks like we’ll have a couple of A-37s heading south this fall.


The following was received from Lois Jacobs and Merle Galbraith who are currently cruising in Trinidad aboard INTERLUDE, their 1981 MK-II yawl: “Ahoy.  Cleaning piles of notes here and wanted to share with your readers sources of plastic drawer parts which have a tendency to crack over the years.  Neighbor Camille Servais on FOXFIRE II (A Whitby 42) brought us these parts from Toronto area do-it-yourself house repair shops.

DRAWER CENTER GLIDES - White Plastic (screw onto the back lower edge of each drawer)

Item # 773199830641

$1.86 Canadian each in April, 2004

From:  Home Depot Store #7109

256-260 Kingston Rd

Ajax, Ontario

Phone (904) 428-7939

PLASTIC CORNERS (white plastic L-shaped things which fit in the lower right and left corners of the cabinet cutout into which the drawer slides)

Item # 773199830108

Corners for #6722

$1.43 Canadian each

From:  Rona Home and Garden

768 Warden Ave

Scarborough, Ontario  MIL 269

Phone (416) 751-5527

We hope this helps any readers who are trying to repair cracked plastic drawer parts with items identical to the original ones.

We're LOOKING FOR the round, brown plastic, cylindrical inserts which fit the finger pulls in some of the cabinet doors.  Any help out there?  Thanks!

Regards, Lois Jacob & Merle Galbraith, INTERLUDE Hull #225



(Disclaimer – A-37IOA has no financial interest in any products listed.)

The following web sites provide a lot of good cruising/communications information especially Marine Single Sideband Radio.


(Please check the Alberg 37 web site (A37's For Sale/Wanted) for the latest postings.)

Recent offerings include:

TRONDELAG 1975 Alberg 37 sloop (hull # 153).
Currently lying in the Brisbane Australia area.  Fully equipped for offshore sailing. Asking 78,900.00 Australian. Contact Pennie Stephenson  
Scarborough Boating Services.

Phone  61 7 3880 4066  fax 61 7 3880 4166 

TIME PASSAGE 1980 Alberg 37 Sloop (hull #210)
Fully equipped fresh water cruising boat located in Toronto, ON
Includes #1 and #2 furling head sails, #2 and #3 with hanks, spinnaker pole,
and mainsail. Very clean boat with many extras.
Upgrades/updates: 1999/2000 - Awlgrip hull and deck, electric windlass, SS 3 blade prop
2002 - engine rebuild, new head, new cradle
2004 - screens added to full enclosure, new starting and house batteries, all lines, exterior teak painted
2005 - new sheaves and halyards, rebuilt alternator, new exhaust
Current owner regrets leaving sailing and plans to switch to power.
Asking $79,000 CDN
Contact Dave Ord by email at  Boat in water until October 29, 2005


GONZO - Hull #110. Immaculate 1973 Alberg 37 sloop lying in Port Colburn, Ontario, Canada (Lake Erie).  Spent the last 18 months in the Caribbean Sea and the previous 30 years in the Great Lakes.  Lovingly upgraded for a planned circumnavigation - our plans changed, so we returned to Canada, but you can take advantage of all the improvements for your own sailing dreams.   Email Mitch at  (or call: 519.859.6129) for a detailed inventory list or answers to any questions. 
(Click here for Inventory) (Click here for Photos)

Yours for only CDN$72,000


FIGMENT 1973 MK-II Yawl, Hull # 111. Excellent condition, fully cruise equipped. Lying in Boothbay Harbor, ME.  $51,900 USD

(Click Here for Photos and Inventory)

Contact: Jack St. John  - Tel: (207) 633-5529


KANDACE ROSE 1976 MK-II Custom Cutter, Hull No. 168, Volvo Penta 28hp, Very well maintained. Recently Surveyed, Toronto Registry. Lots of upgrades. SS fuel & water tanks, winter cover, new Harken Furling, new main, new dodger and bimini, new refrigeration and much more. Nova Scotia    CDN $74,000

(Click Here for Photo)



ELUSIVE 1968 Alberg 37 MK-I Sloop (Hull #40)

Sleeps 6+, 3 jibs, mainsail, pole, new rigging 2002, new bottom paint 2002, Ampair wind generator, Raymarine Autohelm, VHF radio, digital depth sounder, refrigeration, marine 12000 BTU air conditioning, CD/am/fm Aiwa stereo with Bose speakers, 2 anchors w/chain, pressurized electrical freshwater system w/60gals water, electrical marine head, inboard Westerbeke 4-107 37hp, new dinghy may 2004, 2.5 w/outboard, bimini, dodger, BBQ. ELUSIVE is a documented vessel 527394, located in Puerto Rico

Asking $33K U.S.

Contact Captain Papo at (939)645-0282, (939)940-9756 or  See photos at



1981 Alberg 37 Sloop. Hull # 217

Lightly used Great Lakes only, single owner. Lying at Whitby. US$52,500.00.  (Click here for photo)

Contact Frank @ 647-223-3536




1970 Alberg 37 Yawl, equipped for cruising.  On the hard at the Indiantown Marina, Indiantown, FL.

Owner Narrative: "This is a good yawl, w/ roller furling new headsail and good main & mizzen and 2 extra sails, cabin air conditioning, 3 burner gimbaled propane stove/oven, 12V refrig/ice box, twin stainless steel sink, Autohelm 4000, Volvo Penta diesel, updated helm wheel, pedestal w/ nice chrome 6" Ritchie compass, new fuel tank, 2 anchors, chain rodes, and lots of rope rodes., mast steps, 8' hardshell dinghy, etc., etc."

 US $34K


Ron and Cindy Strahm

2820 S. Crenshaw Road

Independence, MO 64057


TEL: 816.228.6325

FAX: 816.229.6100



1974 Alberg yawl. Hull #129. Lying in Squamish, British Columbia. USA documented vessel. Well equipped for cruising w/wind generator, solar panels, watermaker, windvane (Cape Horn), wheel pilot (Simrad), radar, anchor windlass. Engine and standing rigging replaced ca. 1998. Additional upgrades and many spares. Includes inflatable dingy (West Marine) and outboard (2000 Mercury 5 hp 4-stroke).

[See photos]

US $45,000

Contact:  Ralph Turner at or (604) 815-8219


Notes of an Occasional Sailor: Cell Phone (and Outboard Motor and Sailor) Overboard

By Charles F. Bahn

Fortunately I can swim - a skill I haven't appreciated until recently, when our outboard motor tried to kill me. It's a British Seagull, a long shaft beauty that despite its age "takes a licking and keeps on ticking." I had just finished winterizing RAVEN, our 1985 MK-II Yawl. My last chore was to remove the outboard from the stern and load it into the car for safe keeping at home (would anyone really try to steal it?). As I stepped from the boat to the dock (actually a short "hop" and yes, the boat should have been a little closer to the dock - but I have done it a thousand times before) the prop caught the lifeline and we both tumbled into the drink. I had two reactions. First- let go of the motor so it doesn't drag me down, and Boy, it’s cold - I'd better get out of the water before hypothermia sets in. Fortunately our marina has ladders every several slips and I was able to swim to one and climb out. I found I was missing my new lineless polarizing bifocals (a.k.a. expensive) and my right wrist really hurt. Looking at my wrist, even with blurred vision, I could tell from the deformity that it was broken (a.k.a. VERY expensive). Salty water was dripping out of my cell phone.

Friends assembled around me with offers to help. One fellow suggested that at least my phone might be saved after a rinse in fresh water. That brought a chorus of chuckles. Despite my insistence that I could drive myself to the hospital, I was transported to the closest emergency room. As I was dragged away, I called out to Charlie that my precious outboard was in the drink and maybe he could retrieve it for me.

At the hospital, a broken wrist was confirmed by X-Ray and a kind orthopedist reduced the fracture and put me in a cast. As I was leaving the hospital the nurse told me that Charlie had called to say that the other "patient " (retrieved with a grappling hook) was alive and well, and purring happily on the back of his dingy. He knew I was concerned.

When I got home I examined my cell phone.  When I tipped it up, water still ran out. My first inclination was to throw it away. But I vaguely remembered that rinsing it might help, and decided to try and resuscitate it. I removed the battery and flushed the phone with tap water. The Mate almost fell over backwards laughing when she saw me dunking the phone in a bucket of fresh water. But then she felt sorry for me when she realized I was using my left hand since my right arm was in a cast. I placed the phone on a warm radiator to dry it out (our house is old). She laughed again.

I returned to the scene of the accident several days later to thank my friends, and to show off my new cast. Charlie was in his wet suit changing zincs, and suggested that we might get lucky and find my sunglasses. He did. My good luck ended however on my return visit to the Orthopod. The angles of the wrist bones were not lining up right, and surgery was recommended.

Six months later, I am healed, and discharged from physical therapy. My wrist is a little stiff in the morning but seems to function fine otherwise. When I tell the story of my tragedy, my audience is always interested to hear that we were able to recover the engine in working order, and my sunglasses. But what really amazes them (and me too), is that when I put the battery in the cell phone and turned it on - it worked. Even the numbers stored in memory were still intact. "Hee-hee."

He who laughs last...


We are always looking for articles (cruising, racing, maintenance, etc.) and photos of your boat for inclusion on the website and newsletter.  Send the articles via email attachment in MS WORD and the photos in .JPG format if possible.



Ashley Walker (GOOD NEWS) and Jay Zittrer (SHARED WATCH) plan to participate in the Harvest Moon Regatta October 13 – 16, sponsored by the Lakewood Yacht Club, Seabrook, Texas.  We also heard through the “grapevine” that Charley Deakyne “cleaned up” the CBYRA sponsored Cedar Point Race aboard his 1975 Sloop SCRIMSHAW.



Thanks to the COMBINED efforts of Roy Carter, Bruce McFarland and Wayne Bower, both the Alberg 37 Sloop and Yawl Sailplans are now available on CD-ROM for the nominal cost of $5 USD to cover postage the cost of the CD.  The sailplans graphics are very high quality, and if printed on high quality photo paper, are suitable for framing.    The CD contains both the sloop and yawl configurations. Check the  Alberg 37 Website for details and ordering information, or send your request to:

A-37 IOA

C/O Tom and Kaye Assenmacher

P.O. Box 32

Kinsale, VA 22488 



We highly encourage you to periodically check the DISCUSSION FORUM on the website and actively participate in the discussions.  Unfortunately, participation has lagged during recent months. Active participation is vital to members who require information or have information to share with others.  Remember, you are all “experts” in the Alberg 37, and collectively we’ve all “been there and done that”!  Also, if you receive the newsletter by mail, you should check the ON-LINE version of the newsletter (provided you have Internet Access) since the on-line version may have links to photographs, etc., which by necessity (postage limitations), may not be in the hardcopy newsletter.


By the Editor

The purpose of the newsletter is to provide a vehicle for the exchange of ideas relating to our Alberg 37 experiences (good and bad), maintenance tips, and cruising/racing information and to maintain a roster of Alberg 37 owners.

We suggest a donation of $10.00 U.S. a year to cover costs of publishing the quarterly newsletter, postage, Xerox services, and of course, maintaining the web site.

We suggest to our Non-U.S. members that they send an International Money Order payable in U.S. dollars.  A Canadian Postal Money Order works best for Canadian members.

You will notice a date on the label of the newsletter mailing, reminding you to help maintain the newsletter / association. For those receiving the newsletter notice via Email, we ask that you honor your commitment to the Association. The Association appreciates your help!

The A-37 IOA participates as a cooperating group with BOAT U.S., and members receive BOAT U.S. membership for half price ($9.50 vice $19.00). Just mention you are a member of the Alberg 37 Owners Group and include the Cooperating Group number GA 83253 S when you join Boat U.S. or send in your annual renewal of membership


If you are transiting the Chesapeake Bay, please plan to stop by Kinsale for a few days (or longer). It's only about 12 miles off the Bay (up the Potomac to the Yeocomico River), and our area is very secluded, protected (good hurricane hole) and quiet, and a very good cruising area, especially in the fall. We “normally” have a couple of open slips.

Each fall/spring we have several ‘snowbirds’ stop on their way south/north.  Please note our Kinsale VA phone number: (804) 472-3853 - leave a message if we aren’t at home.


(Ed. Note:  This summer and early fall we’ve had a lot of sailing visitors, and several other non-A-37s who know A-37 members.  Guess the word is getting out!  Part of the fun of the A-37 IOA is meeting the people who traverse the waterways!)


If we inadvertently missed any of your correspondence, just hit us again – we like to receive correspondence, especially email, as it’s the grist that makes the Newsletter interesting. REMEMBER, THIS IS YOUR NEWSLETTER!


Due to some unresolved medical concerns, Kaye and I won’t be making the trip “South” this fall – we do however, plan to do a bit of late fall cruising in the Chesapeake – so keep the emails/letters and articles for the newsletters coming and have a great Alberg fall!



Tom and Kaye Assenmacher