A37 Line


C/O Tom and Kaye Assenmacher
Box 32, Kinsale, VA 22488
EMAIL: a37ioa@sylvaninfo.net



December 30, 1994


Mike and Karen Johnston recently wrote that they plan to send an article relating to work recently performed on POSSESSION, by Alex Magnone of Whitby. They also report that CANADA GOOSE (Jack Lackner, Malaga, Spain), is on blocks in Niagara on the Lake. We weren't sure if Jack had Canada Goose with him in Spain.

Welcome aboard to Dwight & Carol Kraai, the proud new owners of (SAUCY #230). They are the third owners and live in Lower Burrell (Pittsburg area) PA, but sail out of the Erie Yacht Club.

Welcome aboard to new members Wendy and Gord Murphy (INTERLUDE #174). They sail out of the Sarnia Yacht Club.

Dick Wilke (IOLANTHE) wrote that it was time to lay up for the winter in late October. Dick has added a shut off valve ahead of the water heater and a drain valve next to the incoming elbow, so that the water system could more easily drain and winterize the water system. He says it works great.

Bryce Inman (TYDINGS) has been extensively cruising Maine, the Bahamas, the Chesapeake, the St. Lawrence, Lake Ontario and Georgian Bay since retirement. Bryce has installed a Raytheon R10 radar which he says certainly makes Maine cruising a bit more pleasant.

Welcome aboard to Wayne and Sherril Bower, of Washington, DC. They are the original owners of the sloop, TEELOK (#178), which is berthed on Rock Creek, off the Patapsco River, near Baltimore, MD. Since retiring last spring, Wayne and Sherril explored the Nova Scotia and southern Newfoundland coasts by sailing TEELOK as far as the French Islands of Miquelon and St. Pierre, returning to the Chesapeake in late September. Now that they are 'foot loose and fancy free', they expect to continue their sailing adventures. How about an article describing your voyage to the Canadian Maritimes and the French Islands? Wayne and Sherril are Ham operators, and their call-signs are KB3RL and N3ITM respectively. (A technical article relating to your radio installation would also be appreciated).

Welcome to new member Tom Amrein, who recently purchased CALLIOPE #97. Tom writes that the vessel had sunk at her pier in March, due to clogged cockpit scuppers (leaves) which

set up a siphon through an open sink drain. The boat was immediately taken to a marina, and thoroughly cleaned and the engine pickled. The starter and alternator subsequently being rebuilt, Tom also plans to completely rewire the boat. He is requesting information from any members who have performed major rewiring tasks, including engine harness, on their boats. (Tom, you should get in touch with Martin Violette who completely rewired SLYBOOTS this year. He attended the rendezvous in September, and I saw his first rate wiring job). Tom looks forward to hearing from other owners and hopes to meet some of us at the next rendezvous.

Lea and Jerry Warwick (AVALON) send Christmas greetings. It seems that Jerry has been off to the Bahamas sailing on a friend's Morgan 35. After a rough crossing from Nassau to the Exumas and back, Jerry has returned to St. Michaels, Md. for the holidays. Lea and Jerry may take Avalon south to Daytona Beach next winter.

Mike and Ann Allen (LINDISFARNE II) write that they have recently moved to Nashua, NH. from Burlington, Ont., and will be launching in the spring at Marion, Ma. They expect to become accustomed to 'real salt water' after being away from New England waters for nearly 20 years. They plan to attend the next rendezvous.

Welcome aboard to new members, Jack Meehan and Janet Finley, who are permanent liveaboards on SERENITY (#196). Serenity was purchased in South Freeport, ME in August, 1992 (ex-FREYA), and immediately sailed from Maine, down the coast to Miami, across to Bimini, and then down the Exuma chain where they spent four months. Serenity suffered some damage due to 60 kt. winds, and they returned to the US to make repairs. John and Janet were at the time of writing, preparing to leave on 15 December for Belize, Costa Rica and Guatemala.

Serenity has been completely retrofitted into a world class ship. Improvements include: Volvo 2003; Garmin 50 GPS; Apelco Loran and Radar; RFD Life Raft; Adler-Barber Refrigeration; Newport Wood Stove; Hood Sea Furl; and Ham Radio. John and Janet are members of the Seven Seas Cruising Association.

"Serenity has done a superb job carrying us through wild storms and horrendous winds and has never let us down for a moment.

We have on several occasions called down the blessings of Carl Alberg and hope he has been able to see from his perch in heaven, what the capabilities of his Alberg 37 truly is when the chips are down", says Jack.

Jack and Janet heard of the Alberg 37 Assoc. from Roland and Danielle Pootmans (LANIKAI) whom they met recently at the Ashley Marina, in Charleston, SC. They also recommend the Mariners Cay Marina over others in Charleston, as it is more friendly, etc.

Jack and Janet are very interested in learning everything possible about the A-37 yawl, and certainly welcome communications from other Alberg-ers. They also will be happy to share their knowledge concerning cruising/live aboard-ing on the A-37.

We will be expecting to hear from Jack and Janet in the future.

Tip and Jean Corey (TYPHOON III) recently provided a bit of their sailing history: Tip joined the Sarnia YC in 1949 when he owned a 20'speedboat which he had built. Two years later he built a 26' cabin cruiser and in 1958 he started sailing in a Danish-built Folkboat.

Tip and Jean joined the Alberg family in 1970 when they bought a used Alberg 30, and in 1976 bought their new Alberg 37. It has survived two sons and a daughter, all of whom enjoy sailing.

They have set up their boat for cruising with furling main and headsails, Autohelm autopilot, loran, refrigeration and many small things which make her comfortable. Last year, they installed a 2000 watt generator which runs off the Volvo MD2 and is used for refrigeration, microwave, hair driers etc. They also built a chart cupboard behind the panel beside the chart table by cutting a 16" access door in the panel.

John Hughes (SARAH) recently wrote having recruited new member WAYNE BOWER. Thanks John.

Karen Kinnear & Marcel Steinz (SOUTHERN CROSS) recently wrote that they have enjoyed the newsletters and are keen to hear how everyone has made modifications and adjustments to the A-37 to improve it. They have had a great summer, and have seen quite a few A-37ers in their area: In Fifty Point, they had an on and off two day visit with John Bax (IMMUNITY). In the Thousand Islands, they had the pleasure of seeing an early model of the A-37 (SUNSTONE) owned by John Birch and Judy Hodeins. In Gananoque, they met up with Roly and Danielle Pootmans (LANIKAI), and Roly gave a demonstration of his new engine.

Steve and Brenda Cooper (SOJOURN) advised of their cruising plans and sent a new address. They are now living aboard and making final preparations for Mexico, South Pacific, New Zealand and New Guinea ........ Must be great work if you can get it! We expect some great cruising articles from your travels!

Neil and June Baylie (RAPCU) stopped by recently on their way to haul their boat for the winter. They still have RAPCU on the market.

Hope we haven't missed any new members! Thanks much for writing, it makes for an interesting newsletter.



Recently we received an interesting catalog from the DF Crane Associates, Inc. (2535 Kettner Blvd., P.O. Box 87531, San Diego, CA 92138-7531 (619)233-0223) relating marine computers and computer software. Software includes Weatherfax, Morse code, Navtex, RTTY and Telex in addition to several Electronic Charting and Navigation (including GPS) applications.

Bryce Inman (TIDINGS) recently wrote relating some of his experiences in finding the "right" boat. Bryce also included some of his solutions to some of problems which he has encountered over the years:

Since Bryce does a considerable amount of single-handed sailing, a yawl was a must. Also Bryce specifically desired a tiller, a rubrail, teak seats and cockpit grate, shower and cabinets where the pilot berth was normally placed. Bryce noted that he has since replaced the pieced stainless rubrail strip with a 3/4" continuous stainless half oval strip.

Bryce also noted that he has had some trouble with aluminum chloride grit from the aluminum water tanks (we have the same problem in Shearwater). He found that by placing a 2" small funnel in the end of the pickup hose, and securing some fine mesh screen and piece of nylon stocking over the top of the funnel, the grit is filtered out. He also solved the tank vent problem by taking the vent hose off the filler hose and fastens it to the underside of the deck in the chain locker.

The engine exhaust vacuum break problem was solved by attaching a small hose from the top of the U fitting in the cooling water line to a nipple fitted into the side of the deck drain. This solves the problem of either a clogged vacuum break, or having salt water spray over the engine.

Bryce also found a solution to "The Mizzen Pelican Hook Problem" (impossible to use). He kept the pelican hooks, but installed a small shroud lever in each back stay. This allows him to take the tension off the stay so the pelican hook can be unhooked. When hooked back up, the shroud lever allows the back stay to be brought back to considerable tension. These shroud levers are used in the fore or back stays of trailerable dinghies to allow the mast to be quickly rigged and unrigged.

Also, Bryce uses a Harken Hexaratchet block on the mizzen sheet.

We solved the "Pelican Hook Problem" on Shearwater about 8 years ago by installing a 3 part tackle to each of the running backstays. We cut about 3 ft. off the pelican hook end, installed a thimble and a Nicropress fitting, doing away with the hook entirely. The lower part of the tackle uses a snapshackle. It works great, simply take up on the windward backstay and slack off on the leeward one.

Neil Baylie (RAPCU) recently sent information relating to his installation of a Simpson Lawrence 'Anchorman' vertical manual windlass. The windlass extends about 5" above the foredeck, and takes up only about a seven inch diameter of deck space.

Operation is easy, and it uses a standard winch handle. Anyone interested in this installation should contact Neil. I also have a copy of the info which Neil sent to me.

John and Lee Cunningham recently sent an account of recent work performed on QUICKSILVER (#30):

"Our sloop is now 25 years old, and one improvement we have made over the last few years is to replace the veneered eighth-inch plywood ceiling panels alongside the nav station, above the upper berths to port and starboard, and in the foc'sle. Through the years, water and wear had left the dark mahogany veneer tired. We replaced the main cabin veneer one year, the nav station the next and the foc'sle in the third.

Following generally Dan Spurr's advice in "Upgrading the Cruising Sailboat", we cut eight foot cedar boards into pieces about 2" wide, ripped them in half using a thin blade so that each piece was about 3/16" in thickness. Then we sanded the good side to a smooth finish and ran each edge by a small table router with a 3/8" bit to put a slight chamfer on each side, followed by sanding and a coat of Interlux sealer to both sides. Then the tedious part, several coats of varnish.

Several of the ribs had come loose from the adhesive that Whitby used to bond them to the hull. We knocked off the remaining material, rough sanded and re-bonded with West epoxy with a peanut-butter consistency. Light wood battens and duct tape were used to keep the ribs in place until the epoxy set. In some places the original ribs were not long enough to support all the new thin strips, so we filled out with small pieces of pine.

Starting from the bottom and parallel with the top of the bunks,we measured and cut each strip (like everything else on a boat, they were all different}. Brass one inch #6 flat head screws were used to fasten each strip. The holes were pre-drilled and countersunk. A battery powered screw driver that runs at slow speed makes the job much easier. Pieces of thin cardboard were used as spacers between each successive strip to provide air and expansion room. The top strips have to be tapered to fit the deck line.

We did not install insulation between the hull and our new ceiling, but for those in some climates, it might be a good opportunity.

If you later need to run wires or tubing, it is a simple matter to unscrew several strips and have access to the hull. It is also a good idea to save a few finished but uncut strips for replacements.

The bright, light color of the varnished cedar is a nice compliment to the dark mahogany used in most of the cabinetry and helps to give a brighter feel to the interior. We were happy with this results of this simple and low cost project.


by the Editor

For members, I'm asking for $10.00 a year to cover costs of putting out a quarterly newsletter. I might suggest to our Canadian members that they send their dues either in U.S. currency or via a Canadian Postal Money Order payable in U.S. dollars. Unfortunately, in order to cash a check drawn on a Canadian bank (even if in U.S. funds), a $5.00 fee is charged. I've tried several banks, but the story is the same.

The purpose of the newsletter is to provide a vehicle for the exchange of ideas relating to our Alberg 37 experiences (good and bad), maintenance tips, cruising information and to maintain a roster of Alberg 37 owners.

Also, you should be aware of our group's Cooperative Group Accord with BOAT U.S. whereby we get membership for half price ($8.50 vice $17.00). Please mention that you are a member of the Alberg 37 Owners Group and include the Cooperating Group number GA83253S when you join Boat U.S. or send in your annual renewal membership dues. We are required to maintain a certain percentage of our group as BOAT U.S. members to qualify as a Cooperating Group. If anyone wants some Boat U.S. literature, I can send you some. By the way, I received the Boat U.S. Cooperating Group Accord renewal letter a few weeks ago, and was advised that 14 of our members had used the Accord Number when renewing their membership.

I suppose by now that all the US A-37ers have sent in for their 1994 recreation vessel tax sticker. Although the law has been changed to phase out the tax, it still applies to the A-37. The fee is still $50.00, although the requirement expires 1 July 1994.

We had one suggestion regarding an A-37 pennant: a takeoff on the A-30 Association pennant, with a 37 superimposed on the field, and with different colors. Any other ideas??

It's time to begin thinking about the SECOND ANNUAL ALBERG 37 RENDEZVOUS. Labor Day Weekend (3,4,& 5 September, 1994) looks like a good time. Let's plan again for this weekend at our place in Kinsale, VA, on the Yeocomico River, just off the Potomac River, and only about 10 miles from the Chesapeake. Some of you planning trips south should include the rendezvous in your planning. We had a great time last Labor Day Weekend. More about the rendezvous in the nest newsletters.



Carey English is looking for a late model Yawl. If anyone knows of one for sale, or if any owner is thinking about selling, please give Carey a call. Carey can be reached at 9221 Forest Haven Dr., Alexandria, Va. 22309 (703) 780-9459(H) or (202) 955-2318 (W).

Bryce Inman wishes to hear from anyone who has any experience with a feathering prop on the A-37. Bryce can be reached at 110 North Lakeside Dr. East, Medford, NJ 08055




We recently received for Christmas, a new, 1 liter, stainless Thermos, which has an easy pour spout, and which also comes with a plastic coffee filter housing (like a Melita) which firmly attaches to the mouth of the Thermos. Looks like it will be just the thing to use to make the daily boat pot of coffee, without using the pot! Cost was about $30, and should be available at most discount houses. It is made by a company called Nissan Thermos.



We recently sent off for, and received information regarding the Ninth Biennial Annapolis to St. George's Bermuda Ocean Race, which begins 10 June 1994. The race has been organized to provide a combination of inshore and offshore racing, and includes the major objective to enhance the art and use of navigation by more sailors. The entry fee is $200. Further information is available from the Bermuda Ocean Race Association, C/O Eastport Yacht Club, P.O. Box 3205, Annapolis, MD. 21403.

Roly Pootmans (LANIKAI) wrote from Charleston, back in November, that they are finally on their way south. A last minute decision (2 weeks), they left Gananoque on 22 September, crossed Lake Ontario to Oswego, and dismasted for the Oswego/Erie Canal systems. Masts were re-stepped in Catskill NY, and then headed down the Hudson. They stopped at Newport Marina in NY harbor on the New Jersey side (very nice). Then on to Sandy Hook, and a super sail to Atlantic City and Cape May. up the Delaware and into the Chesapeake. Unfortunately, the cold pressed them southward more rapidly than they had planned. They did manage to spend some time in the Chesapeake (Sassafras River, St. Michaels, Oxford, Annapolis, Solomons, Mill Creek, Indian Creek at Fleets Bay, East River off Mobjack Bay), then on to Norfolk, where they were impressed with the USN fleet.

They spent 6 days at the Atlantic Yacht Basin at Great Bridge, where they had a Balmar 100 amp alternator installed, and had the boat hauled to change the flexible coupling. (Roly says he tried to save money by using the old coupling when he re-engined Lanikai).

From there they proceeded on south, having almost frozen from Beaufort, NC to Charleston. They however, reported temperatures in the 80's near Charleston in mid November.

They commented that all the areas visited have been lovely and interesting, and have run into CANADA GOOSE (Jack Lackner), (ed. note: Canada Goose reportedly on blocks at Niagara Lake, and Jack Lackner living in Malaga Spain?????????), SLYBOOTS (Martin Violette), and have talked to SERENITY (Jack Meehan).

Roly reports they have 'bumped' the bottom several times, including 4 times in the Alligator/Pongo Canal when the wind blew 2 feet of water away. Also, the new Volvo 2003 is a big improvement over the MD-11 when powering into wind and wave.

Refrigeration was installed 2 days prior to departure. A Canadian unit, E-Z Kold, uses a holding plate with a compressor driven by DC power, and is either air or air & water cooled. They have a freezer compartment approx. 12" x 16" just aft of the hatches. The unit uses about 5 amp./hr and runs about 2-3 hr cycles a day and keeps the freezer at -8 to -2 degrees C. Roly plans to add a solar charger instead of a wind generator, to diminish engine running time.

Roly sends best wishes to all for the Holiday Season.

Dick Wilke (IOLANTHE) sends the following account of a summer cruise in Georgian Bay and environs:

"A friend from Sarnia and I spent 22 days sailing up the Bruce Peninsula and into Georgian Bay, Lake Huron. We sailed around Georgian Bay counter-clockwise, anchoring out much of the time. Towns visited included Lions Head where some friends from our club invited us to their home overlooking the Niagara Escarpment; Wiarton, where we stayed in the berth of friends who have sailed their Nautilus 40 around the world; and Owen Sound, where we visited the Tom Thomson Art Museum, and the County of Grey and Owen Sound museum, with it's pioneer cabins, blacksmith shop, 1920's auto garage with Model A pickup, and a 1930's farmhouse.

In the museum, they have a beautiful 26 ft birchbark Canoe du Nord constructed by the founder of the museum, who is part Indian.

At Penetanguishene, we toured the restored Naval and Military Establishment, which was built as a more secure base after the War of 1812. Three ships and a number of small boats are on the waterfront, and a number of buildings have been reconstructed, including the homes of the Captain, Surgeon, and Lt. Bayfield, who charted Lake Huron and Georgian Bay working from May to November in two open 31 foot boats. Some of his charts are still in use!

We followed the buoyed small craft chart up the east side to Parry Sound, where we met several SYC boats, including Brian and Cathy Marsh's "TUNDRA". While there we watched the annual Tug Boat Races. These are work boats which have been converted to pleasure craft, or built for that purpose. At Snug Harbor, we were invited aboard a converted tug, the "MINK ISLES", owned by a Canadian Coastguardsman who has truly made a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

From Pointe Au Baril, we sailed southwest across Georgian Bay to Wingfield Basin. Leaving the next day, we were more than half way to Tobery when we were driven back by building 8 - 12 foot seas and 40 knot winds on the nose. Next day, the weather had moderated, and we again sailed west, meeting my wife and a friend and wife from East Lansing. He sailed back to Sarnia Yacht Club with us."



(Continued from last issue)

The following is the remainder of Hank Boorsboom's account of his recent voyage to Bermuda and return.

JUNE 18, 1993

"After fueling and clearing customs, we left Bermuda at 13:00. The wind is light and from the S/E. At 15:00 we clear the last reef and the sail goes up, our speed is around 4 to 5 knots. At 22:00 the wind died completely. At 04:00 the next morning, the ocean was like glass. We are not in a hurry, but do have a timetable somewhat, so the motor goes on and for the rest of the day, we motor. We approach what looked like two logs in the water, but on closer inspection, turn out to be two sharks. They disappear faster than I can get my camera. Later on, a seaturtle makes its appearance. At 18:00, the wind picks up and the D.R.S. (drifter-reacher-spinnaker) goes up.

JUNE 20, 1993

At 07:00 hours we sight a freighter and request a weather forecast. Predictions are for a S/W wind 10 to 15 knots, just what we need.

JUNE 21, 1993

At 04:00 the wind is from the west at 20 knots, the seas are rough but we are making good speed.

JUNE 22, 1993

Winds are still strong but have shifted to the N/W, seas are very rough, barometer is on the blink, as it shows the same pressure. Not that we could have done anything anyway, but it is comforting to know if you are heading for trouble.

JUNE 23, 1993

Wind is still very strong and veering to the north, we are unable to maintain course and are 15 miles off the Rhumb line. At 09:30 the wind has picked up to over 40 knots and the seas are 25 to 30 feet high. We decide to pack it in and take all sails down and lock the wheel. The boat drifts at about two knots but the motion is very smooth and for the first time we have no waves breaking over her bow. We overhear two freighters on the V.H.F. and find out that we are in the center of the storm in 1000 millibars. At least we know it can not get worse. After six hours of well deserved sleep and taking it easy the next morning looks better.

At 16:00 hours the winds subside somehow and we set out again with only a small foresail. We overhear a few freighters on the V.H.F. that are converging to a spot and an hour later a tanker passes a few miles over our bow. When we hail the tanker we are told they are participating in a distress operation. It is interesting to follow and when the Coast Guard comes on the air, it appears that a sailboat is in trouble. They mention the name and description. We are a little surprised because the conditions weren't that rough. A little while later we overhear the pilot of a C-130 rescue plane that is just approaching the area. Just about when he is ready to drop some rescue gear, it appears that it is all a mistake and the yacht in question had accidentally triggered the E.P.I.R.B.. Everybody involved is thanked and goes on their way, but the Coast Guard requested the captain of the sailboat his proper name and address. Somebody is going to get a nice invoice!

At 18:00 hours we start the motor to charge up the batteries and the refrigerator and find out that the exhaust pipe has split just where the cooling water enters the exhaust system.

JUNE 24, 1993

Winds have subsided completely and seas are normal again. Emergency repairs are made to the exhaust system. At 18:00 hours the wind dies and we try the motor. So far so good, and we proceed on motor. A half hour later the temporary repairs are indeed temporary and cooling water streams in the bilge. The fumes, at least, stay in the exhaust system. We hotwire the electric bilge pump and continue.

At 20:30 the motor quits and we find out that water has found its way into the fuel tank. At the same time, the wind picks up from the S/W so the sails go up.

JUNE 25, 1993

Winds stay fair from the S/W and we cover a good distance. Later in the evening the winds abate a bit so the D.R.S. is set. We fly the D.R.S. all night and with increasing winds, fly towards New York. Since we have no engine, we drop our plans to enter New York via the Hudson and aim for the Sandy Hook Channel again to get the necessary repairs done before we proceed up the Hudson.

JUNE 26, 1993

At 05:00 hours the wind picks up to 18 knots and we decide to take in the D.R.S.. The halyard is caught behind one of the steps in the mast and we have a rare old fight to get her down. We pull the halyard out. We still do 7 knots with the genoa, but the boat is easier to handle. At 09:00 we enter the Sandy Hook Channel at the same spot we left it three weeks earlier and as soon as we are between the two buoys, the wind dies completely. Normally there is not too much traffic in that channel, but now on our heels is a big tanker, the "Olaf Maersen" . The pilot orders me out of the way to which I have to reply in the negative. The action that follows is fast and furious, within seconds the Coast Guard is on the air followed by a pilot boat. Ten minutes later we are secured to "Ocean Tow" and 45 minutes and $250.00 later are tied up to a ramshackle of a wharf for engine repairs. The place is packed with people fishing and through the efforts and charm of Peter, soon end up with three big flounders. They make a delicious supper. Four hours and $400.00 later the boat is ready again.

JUNE 27, 1993

Towards slack tide, approximately 08:00, we leave the little wharf and proceed to the Hudson River. The weather is great and we share the channel with hundreds of little boats all heading out to their favorite fishing grounds. At 14:00 hours we reach Tarrytown Marina using the genoa and the motor and the task of taking down the mast begins. By the end of the day, the mast is secured in a horizontal position and Peter starts to make his plans for a departure back to Toronto the next morning.

JUNE 28, 1993

My wife, Olva, has joined me the night before and by 06:00 we move slowly out of the Tarrytown Marina and head north up the Hudson River. The scenery is spectacular. Even though the river is quite wide here, it is full of shallows and good navigation is called for. The first day we cover 74 miles and anchor away from the main channel near Barrytown.

JUNE 29, 1993

We are on our way again. As you head north the river gets narrower. We pass various marinas and finally at Albany Boat Club are able to get the holding tank pumped out for $5.00 - quite a bargain! It certainly seems that all that legislation that is passed for non-pollution has not filtered down to the marinas, because pump-out facilities are few and far between. By 18:00 hours we pass through the first lock at Troy, New York. We had left the tricolor light on the mast and upon entering that touches the wall. As soon as we are out, we head to the wall at Watertown and spent the night there. I also removed every item of the mast that might not survive the locks.

JUNE 30, 1993

We are up and heading for the first lock in a series of five at Watertown. Fortunately we hang back a little for when the lockmaster starts to dump the water, a torrent reminiscent of Niagara Falls comes at us. The locking goes on the whole day. When we reach lock number 10, the steering wheel gives up and the rest of the trip is done the old fashioned way, by tiller. (Appeared that one of the cables had broken). Murphy's Law sure is in evidence on this trip.

We carry on and spent the night on lock number 14, it looked like a beautiful place except that 50 feet on one side is a main freight line of the Con Railways and on the other side of the water is the "New York Thru Way". Every 15 minutes a freight train rumbles by. To my surprise we sleep the whole night without waking up.

The following morning starts with fog but that soon lifts and we are off again. The Mohawk River is winding but the Erie Canal is straight and boring. A row of trees on each side and straight as a ruler. Finally we reach Lake Oneida and are close to Oswego. We arrive there at 7: 00 p. m..

Next morning arrangements are made to step the mast and by noon we head out back in our home waters of Lake Ontario. The wind is slight and from the N/W straight on our nose. With 75 miles to go to Cobourg, we put the engine on. We arrive in Cobourg at 2:30 the next morning. In the dark we see one spot open on the wall and squeeze the boat in. A perfect manoeuvre of course, nobody saw this and we soon find out why this spot is open - A flat concrete wall and no cleats at all. So we head out and drop the hook in the harbour.

After a short night we carry on our last leg to Bluffers Park. Wind is totally absent so the Volvo is running again. We arrive in Bluffers Park at 16:00. Final Log 8248".

Best wishes for a belated Happy Holiday Season. Let's think spring, and get those projects started!!! Hope to hear from you soon.