wpe1.jpg (9722 bytes)


C/O Tom and Kaye Assenmacher
Box 32, Kinsale, VA 22488
EMAIL: a37ioa@sylvaninfo.net

wpe2.jpg (2686 bytes)


1 July 1997

It is with sadness that we report the death on May 10, of fellow A-37 owner, Richard Miller (SPIRIT) of Saunderstown, RI. Richard drowned during an attempted rescue of himself and two other friends and sailors about 450 miles off the Virginia coast. They were enroute to Bermuda aboard a friend's 34' Moody. Having encountered high winds and seas, which caused one of Richard's friends to become badly injured, they requested emergency assistance. A merchant vessel was directed to their location, and the two friends were successfully rescued when the drowning occurred. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and wife June.





30 August through 1 September 1997

at the


Hampton Hall Branch, Yeocomico River, Kinsale, Va.


It's ALBERG-37 RENDEZVOUS time again! Hope that you have included this event in your late summer cruise plans. This is a "come as you are" event, no planned activities except relaxing and visiting with other A-37 folks. Plan on pot luck get-togethers as this is a most INFORMAL rendezvous. Last year, we had 5 A-37's participate along with several owners who arrived by car. We expect to have a few more folks participate this year. We have slips for 4 A-37s, with room for more rafted alongside. The creek also is quite protected and has plenty of room for anchoring if desired. We have water at the dock, as well as (limited) electricity. Attached are directions both by water or by land. Kinsale is about 35 nm from Solomons, Maryland.

Directions by water: If you have chart #12233, proceed west from Point Lookout (Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay) about 10 miles to the Yeocomico River Light. It's on a concrete base sometimes referred as the 'birthday cake', sort of tilted, and somewhat hard to discern from the shoreline background, however,you will see it in plenty of time. From the Yeocomico light proceed westward to Fl G 6sec "3", then to "2". Note the shoal area to the Southeast of "2". Give "2" a wide berth to the Southeast, and you will have no problem (we've never run aground, but the depthsounder shows a pronounced shoal there. Continue in the West Yeocomico past 2 red (uncharted) daymarkers and past the Port Kinsale Marina to starboard. Continue to where the West Yeocomico stops (at Kinsale) and you must either turn to the port or starboard. Turn to the port (starboard takes you to the grain elevator and a marina) and follow the channel into the Hampton Hall Branch. You will see it open up into a small bay, just continue around the bay until you see a point (WITH FLAGPOLE) on your starboard. Give this point a wide berth, and continue to the second boat dock after passing the point. Hopefully you will see SHEARWATER tied up there anxiously awaiting all her sisters!

Directions if you come by road: Assuming that you can find the state of Virginia in a Road Atlas, and assuming you are driving in from the north (if coming up from the south (i.e Norfolk area, you have to figure it out yourself to get to the 203 turnoff) proceed south on Rt. 3 out of Montross, Va. About 2 miles south of Montross, you will see Rt. 202 (Ford Dealer), make a left on Rt. 202 and proceed on Rt. 202 through Hague, Va. (about 12 miles, don't blink your eyes, you might miss it). About 4 miles from Hague, you will see Rt 203 (at BP gas station and a sign to Kinsale), make a left on 203 for about 1.2 miles and you will be coming into Kinsale. As you approach Kinsale, (again, don't blink) you will be coming down a hill, just at the bottom of the hill you will see a sign saying 'Hampton Hall Estates'. Make a right turn on the paved road at the 'Hampton Hall Estates' sign and continue for 1 mile. There, you will see a red "12" "daymarker" marking our driveway (we have lot #12). Also look for the Alberg "A". Just drive on in and come on down to the water. That's where we will be. Let's face it folks, you have now arrived in the boonies (to our knowledge, there is not one stoplight in Westmoreland County)! Please be advised that our new home will probably not be quite finished by the time of the rendezvous, but do have electricity and water and other basics. If anyone wishes to stay overnight (those who come by boat, we assume you will anchor out or raft alongside overnight), there is a motel in Montross, and several Bed and Breakfast's in the area, (or pitch a tent).

The Port Kinsale Marina, that you passed on you way in by water, is a full service facility, and has a fuel dock. Groceries and other supplies are available nearby, and we have plenty of available transportation.

On the same note, John and Becky Long/Gerry and Lea Warwick are interested in coordinating a "feeder cruise" from the upper Chesapeake Bay to Kinsale, VA for the Labor Day Weekend Rendezvous. If anyone (locals, transients, snow birds, etc.) is interested, contact John and Becky at (410) 833-8465 or Gerry and Lea at (410) 820-8268. It would be great to have an A-37 flotilla sail into Kinsale harbor!! Give it some thought!


Tom and Agnes Westran report that the refit/renovation of BRIGHTLINGSEA II is nearing completion. They will soon move aboard, begin sea trials in preparation to their trip south in the fall. They plan to attend the A-37 IOA Rendezvous over the Labor Day weekend.

Wayne and Sherrill Bower (TEELOK) have reported in during their "land cruise". Ever watchful for A-37s, they recently visited Whitby, Ontario, where they checked in with Alex Magnone, of Whitby Custom Boat Works (the old Whitby Boat Works), where they saw two 1973 A-37s that Alex had looking like new.

Julie Baxter Jackson and Adrian Nixon (CAVU) reported in from Aruba, where they will remain until the year's end, then they will be off for a cruise of the Pacific.

Frank Smart, aboard the BRANDELARA II in Marsh Harbour, Abacos, reported in April that in the winter of 95/96 they crossed to Gun Cay from Miami and made their way via Nassau to the Exumas where they spent a magical four months - every thing they hoped paradise would be (OK, there were way too many cold fronts). They returned to Florida by way of Nassau, Berry Islands, Lucaya (Grand Bahama Is.) then crossed to Lake Worth where they picked up the ICW. A few days later they were in Titusville and put BRANDELARA on the hard for the summer while they returned to Toronto.

This winter they returned to the Bahamas by reversing the route: Lake Worth, Lucaya, Berries then Nassau. They stayed there for a while entertaining visitors then visited the northern Exumas for a few weeks, back to Nassau, and at present are making their way slowly back through the Abacos towards Florida.

Some observations on doing this trip in an A-37: The boat is very comfortable for two to live aboard but becomes very small when company arrives. The six feet of draft is not the problem they anticipated it might be in the Bahamas as the water is so clear and sailing by colours (of the water) is easy. They had far more trouble in the murky ICW with draft.

Changes they are glad that they made: Keep in mind their boat is a Mark I #66 (last one made they believe?) and certain changes may not apply to other boats.

- Brought all running rigging back to the cockpit - no more going on deck at night to reef. This includes slab reefing lines for 1st and 2nd reefs.

- Had the #2 gib modified for use with Harken furling system and made a pennant which sets it high enough for them to see below it. Their largest sails are at home and would have been too large for the average conditions down here. 90% of the time they "sail" only on the gib.

- Repowered the boat with a Yanmar 3GM30F (two years now without missing a beat). It's amazing how much motoring they have to do and a reliable engine is a must! The installation also includes a 110 amp alternator, four golf-cart batteries, Link 2000R monitor/control system and a 1000 watt inverter.

- Replaced the original stern pulpit with a larger one which has two bars and extends forward (and replaced) the aft-most stanchion. They then installed this "spare" stanchion in the long gap near the shrouds.

- Installed tower (part of stern pulpit) which supports their wind generator and a crane to lift the dinghy motor (15 hp) onto stern bracket.


- Removed the aft-facing nav-station (no quarter berth) and extended the galley into this area.

- Replaced the pilot berth with cupboards - there's never enough storage space!

- Installed a good stereo and four speakers and brought lots of cassettes (maybe will install a CD this summer). They love music and derive a lot of pleasure from it.

- Brought a laptop computer and printer. Correspondence is so much easier; they have a tide table program, lots of games, weatherfax program, storage inventory, etc.

- Replaced almost every internal light with halogen. As Cliff Claven used to say "It's a little know fact that" - the halogen lights you can buy in the local hardware store for home use are all 12 volt DC! In most stores you can buy just the individual lights to be added to an existing home setup, so don't get stuck buying a 120-to-12 volt transformer each time. So far have had no trouble with these non-marine lights and their output is wonderful for reading and illuminating the galley (use 20 watt as a minimum).

Future changes (it never ends).

- Will remove the Hydrovane self-steering (for sale) and replace with an Autohelm this summer. Frank would like some advice on what to buy.

- Will remove the microwave from the galley. It takes too much out of the batteries and requires the motor to be started.

We recently heard from the "BOAT PEOPLE", Dwight and Carol Kraii (ex-owners of SAUCY). They have sold SAUCY, and have sold their home also, so really are BOAT PEOPLE. They plan to stay in Florida as their permanent residence, but they don't know when they will buy a house/condo/townhouse. If anyone wants their opinion, Minnessote Yacht Sales did a good job of working the sale of their A-37. They miss their A-37 (but life goes on, I guess).

Des McCrindell still enjoys sailing ROB ROY around lake Ontario. Last year they were always having to pump out the bilge, and finally found this was caused by a leak from the rudder stern gland - tightening the packing nut fixed the problem.

Welcome aboard to new members David and Joyce Lahmann who own the sloop SHE 'N I (ex-SPELLBOUND, hull #8) which was previously owned by former member Marty Kwitek. David and Joyce live in Tripoli, Iowa, but keep their A-37 on Lake Michigan. They had been looking for just the right boat for a long time, and were very excited when they heard of the A-37 becoming available. From the paper work, they have accumulated so far, they are the fourth owners, but it appears the boat has been well maintained. Their only concern is the mention of leaky decks. No signs of leaks were found by them or the surveyor, and wonder if there is someplace special they should keep their eye on. (Ed. note: Check the bedding of all chainplates, stanchions, anything through bolted through the deck - use backing plates wherever possible, and re-enforce the bolt holes with epoxy slurry as most through-bolted areas have only the balsa core, which gets compressed and can get wet). Joyce and David have only one year of sailing on Lake Michigan, but have already fallen in love with sailing in clear waters. In Iowa all the waters are brown or green with algae and the difference makes the six hour trip from their home to the boat worthwhile. It reminds them of their trips to the Pacific and the Gulf. The clear water is so much more fun to sail in and they look forward to the time when they can leave the lakes and start exploring the US coast and bays. They have friends in Cambridge MD and have sailed the Chesapeake in past years.

Gord Murphy has returned to Sarnia, Ontario until after the hurricane season, after leaving INTERLUDE in Indiantown, FL. Gord recently returned from cruising the coast of South America, and plans to spend the winter aboard INTERLUDE cruising Florida and the Bahamas. Dick Wilkie (IOLANTHE) helped Gord make the voyage to Florida. Gord mentioned that he had his dinghy stolen in Venezuela.

In response to the question from Mark Lay (ELIXIR) in the April 1997 newsletter regarding the size of the Alberg 37 galley sink, Rear Admiral Gene Farrell (SALLY ANNE) reports that he has had no problem with the sink's capacity because he habitually limits the size of his offshore cruising complement to no more than three people, including the skipper. A small crew of two or three eases the strain on logistics, housekeeping and dish-washing.

He does offer some advice on plumbing the sink for salt water for any purpose: If your galley configuration has the sink above the engine, as with most Albergs, DON'T DO IT. Some years ago when he outfitted the SALLY ANNE for a voyage from Annapolis to San Diego, he thought it would be neat to add a salt water faucet to the galley sink for washing or rinsing dishes. To his regret, he underestimated the quantity of sea water that would splash from the sink in rough weather and seep through the crack between the reefer top and the engine cover, which houses the sink and faucet/s. Directly below the crack are some very sensitive components such as the alternator, starting solenoid, voltage regulator and starting motor whose tolerance for salt water, even a few drops, is very very low.

In 1997, Gene sailed SALLY ANNE from Mission Bay, near San Diego, to Honolulu and back without incident. But like the Purvises (TRONDELAG) he and his crew...two outbound, one inbound...never encountered those idyllic 15-knot trades anywhere in the Eastern Pacific. Twenty to thirty knots was the norm and no sunshine until transiting the Molokai channel westbound or Point Conception eastbound. It's an ill wind that blows no good. Both transits were fast, bettering by days the average time of boats of comparable size. by coincidence, Gene came across an old chart of the track of the Stevens brothers' (Olin and Rod) DORADE when she swept to victory over 20 contenders in the 1936 TranPac. A comparison of the two tracks is interesting: Both SALLY ANNE and DORADE were obliged to beat north from Oahu on the starboard tack considerably more than 1,000 n.m. before topping the Eastern Pacific high and its northwesterly winds for the sleigh ride to California. Far from being a high performance racing machine like DORADE, LOA 51', SALLY ANNE made the eastbound transit in a respectable elapsed time. DORADE took 20 days, 16 1/2 hours to sail the 2544 n.m. to San Francisco. SALLY ANNE sailed nearly 200 miles farther (2636 n.m.) to Mission Bay in 22 days, 21 hours.

Gene added that his Monitor performed flawlessly, steering the boat 95 percent of the time and on all points of sail. His boat is yawl rigged, but he never flew the mizzen at anytime because of its interference with the monitor's wind vane. He contemplated fabricating a shorter and wider vane that would clear the mizzen boom and sheet, but Hans Barnwell, Scanmar Marine's respected engineer, talked him out of it, saying that the Monitor would not perform well with such a modification.

Gene also mentioned the satisfaction that a SSB transceiver gave him and his lone shipmate, Paul Whelan, on the Honolulu to Mission Bay leg. Paul has an amateur license enabling him to check into the Pacific Maritime Net (14.313 Mhz) daily at the 0400Z roll call (1800, 1900, 2000, or 2100 local, depending on their time zone). The net controller in Medford, OR, paged each boat in turn, recording its position, course, speed, weather and any problems being encountered. He also obligingly passed E-Mail messages to friends and families ashore, and on one occasion managed a phone patch between the SALLY ANNE and Gene's anxious wife in Denver.

When they topped Lat. 37-00N, the weather turned cold and blustery, much to the dismay of Paul, who lives in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. As he flew to Honolulu to join Gene for the home voyage, his fallacious planning for clothing went something like this: "I'm leaving warm FL for warmer HI, returning to SOCAL. All I need is shorts, T-shirts and foul weather gear". On day 13 out of Honolulu, the temperature dropped to 40 degrees F, the sun disappeared and the NW wind piped up to 35 knots. Gene's one London Fog parka saw double duty until we sighted Catalina, some eight days later.


by John & Becky Long

John and Becky Long report that this is the first year in five years that they have hauled SOLSKIN II, and the first time she has been out of the water for an extended period. According to John, her hull looked pretty sad, in the past, having hired a diver to clean the hull before a voyage, which he feels is cost effective. (Ed. Note: We normally haul every 3 years, using a diver the second and third years - seems to work OK). John's narrative continues:

"...the prop was in poor shape. I had never removed it. Stamped into the hub was 13 x 7 LH....now keep in mind that she was rerigged in Germany a number of years ago, and I don't know what was actually done. Sent the prop out for reconditioning, but the electrolysis was too advanced, and the prop needed to be replaced. By the way, the prop had a 1" bore, and with a 7/8" shaft, had a nylon sleeve fitted. I measured the diameter and it appeared to be 12', this created some doubt in my mind about the diameter and pitch. I then sent the prop back for reverification for my own satisfaction, and it was confirmed. I then called Michigan Wheel about their recommendation, (Westerbeke 4-107, 1-1 transmission, weight, etc.) and the recommended a 11 x 7 LH 3 blade MP. Well, we originally started with a 13 x 7, were recommended a 11 x 7, and to make a long story short, settled for a 12 x 8, (7/8" bore). The jury is still out on this decision.

Now for the boat name graphics - the letters were in poor shape, so we contacted a sign painter, who quoted $185; Boat US graphics were about $80 (vinyl), and a local sign company came up with a cost of $36 (vinyl) which looks great. It pays to shop! These letters were computer generated, you select the font, size etc.

We were introduced to a product by other boaters, called On & Off. I am not one for using chemicals, but this stuff takes off the brown hull stain, cleans bronze, stainless, etc. It cost about $10 a quart - wear good gloves when using it. Took about 4 oz. to clean the waterline.

After much sanding, compounding and waxing, the old gal looked pretty good from the rail down. For the launch, having told the marina to not launch without my presence, they went ahead and launched anyway without me being there. Having previously done some work on the refrigeration in the starboard cockpit locker, I must have inadvertently sheared the through hull pipe to the gate valve. The travel lift operator heard water running (boat was sinking) and fortunately shut off the valve. This 2" pipe tee appeared to have the pipe threads welded or silver soldered to the tee - I had never seen this before. My neighbor, a machinist agreed that it could be re-welded/silversoldered. We are about half way through this project, and SOLSKIN is still afloat.

Another problem that we recently discovered was that we were running out of fresh water far too frequently when using the main water tank. The fresh water pump would run freely, sucking air, as if the tank were empty. When filling the tank it only took a few minutes to top it off.

It didn't take too long to figure this out. After removing the pickup tube from the main tank, we fount that it was perforated in several places. The first place was about 4" down from the top. The next fault was about 12" down from the top. The next was almost at the bottom. Additionally, the bottom of the tube was clogged at the bottom. Wonder how long this tube was clogged? Looking at the corrosion and other evidence, I doubt that we have used less than one half of the capacity of this tank for years. The damage seemed to be caused by electrolysis.

This tube was 3/8" copper about 24" long and cost $1.19. When installing the new tube, be sure it doesn't reach the bottom of the tank. Debris could again clog the tube.

Another small problem which I had never seen before is that during a rather heavy rain, a small amount of water was leaking straight through the coach roof, a few drops only. Looking outside, there was a defect at a corresponding location. What is the best fix - drill and plug?

Had a fantastic sail (singlehanded) from the Middle River to the Magothy River."



by the Editor

The purpose of the newsletter is to provide a vehicle for the exchange of ideas relating to our Alberg 37 experiences (good and bad), maintenance tips, cruising information and to maintain a roster of Alberg 37 owners.

We suggest $10.00 a year to cover costs of publishing the quarterly newsletter. We also might suggest to our Canadian members that they send either U.S. currency or a Canadian Postal Money Order payable in U.S. dollars. Unfortunately, in order to cash a check drawn on a Canadian bank (even if in U.S. funds), a $5.00 fee is charged.

Also, you should be aware of our group's agreement with BOAT U.S. whereby we get membership for half price ($8.50 vice $17.00) as members of a cooperating group. Please mention that you are a member of the Alberg 37 Owners Group and include the Cooperating Group number GA 83253 S when you join Boat U.S. or send in your annual renewal of membership dues. Boat U.S. membership is no longer required to make purchases from their stores or catalog, however, membership is still required for the purchase of boaters insurance.

We are happy to report that the problem concerning Canadian membership in the cooperative agreement with Boat U.S. has been resolved in our favor. Boat U.S. will no longer make a distinction between A-37 IOA members.

A-37 pennants are still available for $26.00 U.S. (cost plus postage).


This is a very tastefully rendered and durable pennant. Currently, we are out of pennants, but if there is enough interest, we will place an order (minimum of 10) - it only takes a few weeks to receive them after we place the order - unless it's during the boat show season. Remember, the cost is $26.00 (US).

We are nearing completion of a waterfront home on the Hampton Hall Branch of the Yeocomico River, near Kinsale, VA (God's Country) - unfortunately, we won't be moved in by the Labor Day Rendezvous. Since both Kaye and I still work in St. Mary's County, MD, we spend the weekdays in a 40' houseboat just off the Patuxent River, near Solomons, Maryland, which is a major stopover on the Annapolis - Norfolk run. We will be disappointed if you don't at least give us a call as you pass through the area.

We have a couple of requests: When you write to us with a long cruising account/maintenance tips etc. (and you have a computer), could you send a diskette of the letter? That would save us a lot of re-keying. We can probably read about any word processing file (MS WORD, WordPerfect, ASCII, etc.). The second request is if you no longer own your A-37, or for some reason no longer desire to receive the newsletter, please let us know, and we will take you off the mailing list. The postage and printing is quite expensive. We also request that you take a look at the roster and help us fill in the blank spaces (several boat names, hull #s etc. are missing).

Finally, to all A-37ers transiting the Chesapeake, Kaye and I extend the offer to stop by our homesite near Kinsale, VA, about 10 Nm from the mouth of the Potomac River, on the Hampton Hall Branch of the Yeocomico River, and is an easy sail from Solomons Island, MD. We are there every weekend, and sometimes during the week. We have several slips, water and electricity, deep water, great scenery in a very rural setting, good protection, and best of all, it's free .

The Refit/Renovation



by Tom & Agnes Westran

It is time that I gave my fellow Albergers a progress report on the refit/renovation to BRIGHTLINGSEA II. She is not finished, but by the time this is published we will be out of our condo and living aboard. Our place has been leased for July 1st, the packers and movers are here on the 24th-25th, after that we are "boat people"

The refit/renovation has taken much longer than anticipated for one main reason, I succumbed to the "might-just-as wells". I can now appreciate how someone can spend years building or refitting a yacht. As one job is underway, another is identified that "might-just-as well" be done before the first is completed, and so it goes. BRIGHTLINGSEA II has not finished this process, but the end is insight. Having the condo leased two months earlier than expected certainly adds a sense of urgency.

I could make this note much briefer if I described what has not been done to our boat. The hull-to-deck joint has not been broken. I think those are the only two parts of the boat that have not been separated from each other! I'll start the description of the work at the bottom and work up.

Twenty six years in the water resulted in some blistering of the hull that I was aware of before buying her. The gel coat and damaged laminates were removed and the bottom refinished using MAS (Matrix Adhesive Systems) materials. The MAS epoxies are very low viscosity to penetrate and wet the original fibers. After the blister cavities were filled with mat and MAS epoxy and the hull faired, an additional layer of mat was added to the bottom and 12 coats of MAS epoxy applied as a barrier coat. Petit ACP 50 should keep the barnacles at bay.

A gel coat wizard patched up the few battle scars on BRIGHTLINGSEA II'S topsides and buffed the original gel coat to a like-new finish. The repaired areas can only be detected if you know where to look and the light is right. The colour match is near perfect. All the deck hardware was removed and rebedded,with much of it replaced because of the "might-just-as-well's", not because replacement was essential. The original aluminum ports were replaced with stainless steel and an 11th port added to the aft of the coach roof to permit viewing of the radar display from the helm, and provide additional light and ventilation.

She has been completely re-wired and re-plumbed. None of the original wiring remains and only bits of the original plumbing I kept were the water tank vent hoses. The wiring was done using the ABYC standards and when in doubt going up a size in wire. There are 26 DC and 5 AC circuits on the new panel and I might just end up with one, two at the most spare DC breakers, with all of the AC spots filled. DC power is provided by six golf cart batteries (660 Amp-hr) charged by a 125 Amp alternator while on the motor and by the 50 Amp charger in the Freedom 10 Inverter when hooked to shore power. A solar and/or wind generator will be added at a later date. The DC electrical system is controlled and monitored via a Link 2000R system.

All the thru hull valves were replaced as were all the hoses for both sea and fresh water. I would advise checking the thru hull valves based on my experience. I was not going to replace the 2 inch valves on the cockpit/deck drain lines because of the cost and difficult access. When I was in the starboard cockpit locker working on the back side of the engine panel, I accidentally kicked the valve and it BROKE OFF with very little force! The bronze valve had a brass bushing retaining the ball and seat, and the brass had "de-zincified" leaving only spongy copper holding the whole thing together. The valve on the Port side was in the same state. This is a boat sinking situation. Getting plumbing parts that you can be sure are all bronze is not easy. The source of and Quality Assurance on these items is suspect. I have been ordering from a Nova Scotia based marine supply house since in our fresh water location, the suppliers seem to think that brass and bronze are the same thing.

We gave BIGHTLINGSEA II a complete Autohelm /Raytheon electronics suite, ST 50+ LCD Radar, 6000 autopilot, ST 50+ instruments (Tri-data and Wind at the helm and a Multi at the nav station), NAV 398 GPS and the Alpelco (another Raytheon product) Loran that came with the boat is also interfaced with the system. The antennas for the radar, etc. will be mounted on a mast on the lazaret deck.

The interior was completely redecorated. This project was the first major might-just-as-well. When the bottom did not dry as completely as anticipated the first winter out of the water, we figured we might-just-as well use the time to re-do the interior. Most of the dark teak has been finished in off white polyurethane, with the trim in bright varnish, custom cabinets replace the Starboard pilot berth, galley and head counter tops have been replaced, the engine/refrigeration compartment hatches replaced for better access, new DC lighting installed, galley lockers modified and new dark blue upholstery added. The services of a cabinet maker and friend was invaluable in this stage of the process. Bert Hayward's work certainly has enhanced the appearance and utility of our boat.

The engine has been rebuilt. It was pulled to cure several oil leaks and the rings and bearings were replaced and the head and injector system rebuilt before reinstalling. The engine wiring and plumbing is getting major attention to suit the new charging system and to tidy up the engine room.

While we were at it, the rig also received major attention. The standing rigging has been replaced with all Sta-Loc fittings used. The "J" measurement is increased by 18 inches with the addition of a custom bow sprit/anchor platform (similar in design to the Niagara 35), and an inner forestay added to the rig. The Hood Sea Furl system is replaced by a Shaeffer 2100. Joe Hernandez, the original sail maker for the Whitby Albergs is making a new radial cut genoa, recutting the working jib to a Stailsail, and doing the minor repairs necessary to the other sails. I had the sails cleaned through the local Ottawa sail maker. They came back clean but with some abrasion damage to the stitching and despite claims to the contrary, some of the resins were washed out. Joe is sending the main to Sail Care to try their resin replacement process. I'll let you know how it works.

Since most of the time cruising is spent at anchor, the ground tackle system also received attention. The anchors include a 20 kilogram Bruce, a Delta of the same weight and the original 22 pound Danforths. The primary anchor, likely the Delta for its self launching character will be on 150 feet of 3/8" chain with a back-up of another couple of hundred feed of 5/8" nylon. Retrieving the anchors is being left to a Lewmar electric windlass and the cleaning of the system to an electric wash-down pump.

There are details I have left out and there are more things I would like to do, but we have to get on with it. It has been a long and often frustrating process, but the end product looks like it will be worth the effort.

If the current plan is followed, BRIGHTLINGSEA II will be sea trialed in July/August, and likely trucked to the Chesapeake to start the journey south. If possible we hope to make the Great Lakes Alberg Rendezvous at Kerr Bay in August and the A-37 IOA Rendezvous in the Chesapeake on Labour Day Weekend. We hope to see you all very soon.



Frank Smart (BRANDELARA II) has a Hydrovane self steering for sale. Frank hasn't listed a price, but you can contact him by writing to him at:

Frank and Linda Smart

c/o 63 Stanley Street

Ayr, Ontario Canada N0B 1E0

Looks like it's time to get this edition in the mail, so we can get to work on SHEARWATER. We probably won't get much sailing done this summer, as we are hoping to finish our new home before fall, but we do hope to get out and about on some weekends.

We have been "BOAT PEOPLE" for over a year now, as we live on SHEARWATER on the weekends (3 nights or 4 nights, depending whether it's a compressed work schedule week or not), and on DAS HAUSBOAT during the week. We actually didn't have too bad a winter on either vessel. Remarkable what electric heaters can do. It' actually pretty neat to wake up on a quiet morning to the sound of geese flying overhead, or seeing a large group of otters playing on a semi-submerged tree trunk. We may write an article about wintering over on the water.

We are soliciting any members having E-mail addresses and are willing to have them published in the newsletter/roster, to please send them to us. So far, we have several addresses.

Again, for all those heading south this fall, or who normally cruise the Chesapeake in the fall, be sure to mark your calendars for the ANNUAL A-37 RENDEZVOUS in Kinsale over the Labor Day Weekend, August 30 through September 1, 1997. We hope to have the largest turnout ever, so plan now to join in the fun!!!!

We look forward to getting those cruising stories, maintenance and re-rigging tips, For Sale items etc. We had quite a few owners write during this quarter. Keep it up.

Till the Rendezvous or October, have fun and WRITE (or call).


Tom and Kaye Assenmacher