C/O Tom and Kaye Assenmacher Box 32, Kinsale, VA 22488 (804) 472-3853



VOL XI, NO. 2 (SPRING) 1 April, 2001


Thanks to the efforts of Charles and Jane Deakyne, the Annual Alberg 37 Winter Rendezvous on March 3 was a great success with the largest member participation ever. The evening began with cocktails at the lovely Annapolis Yacht Club in downtown Annapolis followed by a wonderful dinner in the Yacht Club dining room. Members attending were: John and Becky Long (SOLSKIN II); friends Jackie and Teddy Tepper; Wayne and Sherrill Bower (TEELOK); Charles and Jane Deakyne (SCRIMSHAW); Gerry Warwick (ex AVALON) and friend Pat; Bryce and Suzanne Inman (TIDINGS); Michael and Joan Doucette (KINDRED SPIRIT); Tom and Kaye Assenmacher (SHEARWATER); Charles and Helen Bahn (RAVEN); and Alberg 37 "wannabees" Bill Beaver and Heather Bernhards. Lots of good "boat talk" and exchanges of photos took place.


We recently received the following letter from Ashley and Stephanie Walker. If you remember, GOOD NEWS was featured in the October 1997 issue of CRUISING WORLD.

"I hope all is well with you and all of the other proud Alberg 37 owners. After our purchase of GOOD NEWS in 1997 from Dave and Fran Huck in Florida, we’ve enjoyed the last three years sailing her around Galveston Bay in Texas. With her flag blue hull, red bootstripe, white decks and canvas, she’s received many compliments from others as we pass them by. We had the good fortune of placing second in the annual Volvo Leukemia Cup last summer, and then winning first in class and second in fleet in the 2000 Harvest Moon Regatta, racing from Galveston, Texas to Port Aransas, Texas along with over 200 boats. With a steady 17 knot breeze on the aft quarter the whole way, she screamed down the coast with an asymmetrical spinnaker, fully battened main, and mizzen flying. We missed first in fleet by less than 2 minutes over a course of 150 miles.

We’ve recently joined Lakewood Yacht Club in Seabrook, Texas where GOOD NEWS will be inducted into the Lakewood Fleet on April 8 with the annual Blessing of the Fleet. Ceremony. It’s a big event with lots of pomp and ceremony, with music provided by the Texas Aggie Band. With fresh brightwork, a new dodger and some scrubbing, GOOD NEWS should be the queen of the event. As part of the boat’s decoration, I’d like to add an A-37 IOC pennant for which I’m enclosing my payment. Please rush it to me in time for the April 8 event.

In the last three years, I’ve made only slight modifications to GOOD NEWS, which speaks well of the care given by Mr. Huck. I’ve relocated the batteries from the bilge area to under the port salon seats, replacing the two Group 27 batteries with a 4D-LT for the house bank and a new Group 27 for a starting battery. With new sails consisting of a 140 Genoa, fully battened Main, new Mizzen, and the asymmetrical Spinnaker with dousing sock, she moves quite well. Adding Dutchman reefing and a StrongTrack for the main has made raising and dousing the sail almost effortless. Future plans include a reverse cycle air conditioning system, and ultimate replacement of the Volvo MD2B but only if and when she dies. I’d be interested in hearing comments and recommendations about alternative engines.

GOOD NEWS will be joined on Galveston Bay this summer by SHARED WATCH (ex TALISMAN) recently obtained by Jay Zitrer. I know of only one other A37 in the area, being BETTINA owned by Mr. Hal Ponton who has it for sale. We need more of these beauties along the Texas coast so we could have our own class for racing!"

We recently heard from Fred and Phyllis Owen, who sold their sloop PRINCE MADOC in 2000:

"We sold our beloved PRINCE MADOC on January 6, 2000. It was to a chap here in Ontario. He upgraded from an Alberg 30 to our Alberg 37. That has a lot to say for Carl Albert’s designs. Our buyer got to sail from our port of Wiarton to his port in Perry Sound. His report to us was that the eight hour sail was a great one and that the engine and all were A-OK! He also stated that a larger interior along with ample head clearance was surely a pleasure.

We did receive several inquiries from the newsletter for sale section, but it seemed our location was a bit of a handicap. Our buyer saw our ad in the Gam Magazine - a Canadian – For Sale – Boating Magazine.

Yes, we miss sailing and cruising, but we have moved on to other interests now. We were Great Lakes and blue water sailors for 25 years, so you can see owning a sailboat wasn’t just a passing fancy.

We recently heard from Lois Jacob on Interlude (#225):

Ahoy from INTERLUDE - still in Trinidad. We just received the Jan 2001 newsletter and need to CORRECT my original impressions of Pocketmail. Now that I've had more time to learn and use its many features, I am ecstatic about this little gizmo (the Sharp TM-20) as a communications tool for international travelers. l) Its small (2.5" x 6") and light (about 6 oz) - there is no need to lug around a laptop and locate phone plugs. 2) It works from most public phones in the world - if one doesn't work, just try the next one. 3) It has a button to let you preview the estimated transmission time for the unsent email messages. 4) You can send about 12 - 15 emails in approximately 3 - 5 minutes of connect time. 5) Using either local phone cards or the lowest priced ATT calling card plan (Direct Bill), the cost of the international call to transmit the emails is less than the cost of renting time to compose and send a comparable number of emails from a local cyber cafe (cyber cafe rates in Trinidad are quite reasonable @ $3.00 US/hour - elsewhere they can go as high as $20.00 - $60.00/hour). The price also compares favorably with sending the same messages via local 1-page aerograms, and they arrive at their destination almost instantaneously. 6) Faxes which are text only (no graphics) can be sent at a fraction of the price that commercial facilities charge and you receive, via email, confirmation of the date, time, and Fax number to which it was sent. Currently, I am sending all of my original emails via Pocketmail. There is a size limit of 4000 characters or a little less than one page. A friend says she also uses it routinely to receive email; however, because of the size limit, in order for this to work reasonably and effectively, you must train your senders to send ONLY short, original messages - NO forwards, NO long jokes, NO attachments and NO photos. Until you train your friends to follow the above rules, you CAN set a filter to receive ONLY a one line message which includes the sender's name and subject title. Then, another button lets you preview the estimated time to receive the complete messages. A convenient alternative to receiving mail through the Pocketmail gizmo is to POP3 it into another established email account with hotmail or yahoo etc. Then, when you "check other mail" your pocketmail appears in your yahoo/hotmail inbox to be dealt with at the cybercafe, where you have the option of filing and/or printing it. My next challenge is to discover the time management and text editing features on the gizmo. At this point, I am so captivated by the capabilities and ease of use of Pocketmail, that I may delay buying a computer for another year or two - or at least until we have a permanent phone and internet connection!!!! Check or call (888) 213-5919 for more information.

Happy Sails and Emails, Lois Jacob on Interlude (#225) (This message takes about 55 seconds to transmit).

Bram Smith (ALICIA III) recently sent the following:

Hi Folks,

I hope you have survived the winter in good shape. I moved to the island of Newfoundland in January, just in time to experience the most brutal winter in about fifty years. I am doing some upgrades to Alicia III when the weather permits. This summer I plan to sail the south coast of Newfoundland and hopefully make it to Halifax, Nova Scotia in the fall. Finally a couple of questions: Have you had any experience with the Simrad WP-30 autopilot, or heard of anyone with it installed on the A37? And have you known anyone who has attempted to paint the topsides using Interlux Toplac one-part paint. The manufacturers claim that I can achieve a good finish with a roller and tipping with a brush.

Fair Winds, Bram Smith

Ron Cole recently sent the following: We have owned ARTEMIS for a year now. Last summer, we didn't get a chance to wander away from the coast of Maine. We got out a couple of times for a week each and then a lot of day sails and overnights. Had some great weather and wonderful sailing. We had the opportunity to sail in a wide range of wind and sea conditions and were never disappointed with the boat. The only other A37 we saw was THISBE which we met in the approach to Boothbay Harbor. Didn't get a chance to talk with the owners except to share a quick "Nice looking boat you have there" as we passed. We also entered several Thursday night races and were quite surprised with the performance. In fact I would really be interested in talking with anyone who is racing an A37 in a more or less serious way. We've ordered a new #1 and radar and plan on reconfiguring some of the running rigging this Spring. As of now, I'm planning to mount the radar scanner on the mast about 5 feet below the spreaders. I would like to hear from anyone who has good or bad experience with various scanner placements. Since I'll be retiring at the end of May, I look forward to spending more time on the boat this Summer and then preparing it to head south year after next. She's really in great shape and we've been able to take care of all the minor problems that we and the surveyor found initially. It's been great to talk on the phone a few times with the previous owner, Eric Dullerud, who obviously took great care of the boat and has been most helpful. Since I'll have more free time next fall, I will try to drive down for the fall rendezvous. (Ron may be reached at 27 Pond Villa Road, Windham, ME 04062; (207) 892-6399;

Bill Kellett recently sent a photo of the 1969 sloop WANESA for posting on the web site.

Deirde and Peter Ireland of Gabriola Island, BC, reported the following:

"We have lived aboard WINDPIPER 5 years now and have redone/replaced most systems while living aboard (a challenge in our cold winters, but we learned a lot). We took 6 months "off" in house this winter.

We had the pleasure of attending a great talk at the Bluewater Cruising Association in Victoria, BC by Mary Williamson of "LUCKY DUCK II, Alberg 37 # 68. Mary and her husband covered 52,000 miles in a 7 year circumnavigation. Mary has written a comprehensive book detaining their adventures (i.e., equipment failures, weather, great places to visit and LUCKY DUCK’S performance). If anyone is interested in the book, it’s titled "Grandma Ran Away to Sea", by Mary J. Williamson. The book’s ISBN is 0-9687814-0-3. Mary now lives in Victoria, BC."

Dick and Joan Wilke have been sailing their 1984 yawl IOLANTHE with friends on Sarasota bay. Dick has recently taken up flying and has recently purchased a 1977 Cessna 150. (Ed. Note: An airplane is simply a sailboat with the "sail" rotated 90 degrees!)

Jay Zittrer recently wrote: I recently purchased #246 TALISMAN and it will probably be getting treated to an awlgrip in a year or two. My question is; Do you know of anyone who has painted one of the later models in a dark color such as blue or green? I have heard that the molds were getting a little tired this late in the production run and am concerned that there may be many minor blemishes that show more with a dark color as opposed to white. For that matter were any of the later models delivered in a dark color? Also, if you have any photos of nice examples of the A37 that are in some sort of format that could be emailed I would appreciate you sending them to me other than the ones already on the website. I am also mildly considering replacing the plastic ports with chrome plated bronze to give her a more yachty appearance.. have you seen any done this way? I think for the 10 port models it would be really nice looking mine is not a 10 port model but I am still considering it. Lastly, TALISMAN is now called SHARED WATCH. Jay can be reached at:, or (713) 528-1785) (Ed. Note: There are some recent Awlgrip jobs out there – how about contacting Jay and tell him of your experiences.)

Cathy and Malcolm Blackburn sadly had a "non starter" sailing season with their 1975 yawl KAILA II. Malcolm says that for this year, sailing is a priority, or else there will be a boat for sale.

Rob and Julie Lee of Steamboat Springs, CO are seriously considering a year of cruising aboard their 1981 yawl, HERON.

Tom and Agnes Westran report that it’s been a long and cold winter in Ottawa, and that spring cannot come soon enough. Tom will soon be starting on a few projects planned for BRIGHTLINGSEA II, and they are looking forward to getting back on her, envying those whose sailing season starts much soon than theirs. They recently attended the Toronto Boat Show. They left the show feeling rather smug, as Alberg 37 owners, they didn’t feed that is was worthwhile to go aboard any of the sailboats on display, as none were in the class of BRIGHTLINGSEA II. It was also the first show that they didn’t see anything that they absolutely HAD to have, which made for a very inexpensive visit.


Angelo and Kathleen Arecchi of Hebron, NH, recently purchased the 1973 yawl, WIND SONG, which was David and Mary Roost’s SUNDAY’S CHILD, which was located in Midland, Ontario. They had it carried from there to it’s berth in Portland, Maine by truck. As an aside, Angelo said is was an interesting challenge to convince the US Customs folks that the boat was built in Canada and, therefore, qualified for a NAFTA exemption from import duty. They are geared to deal with newly manufactured products and generally require affidavits from the producer, obviously difficult to obtain from a company that has been out of business for a while. But, after several letters and e-mails, they prevailed. They are new to sailing a yawl, having owned only sloop rigs previously (Greenwich 24 and Bristol 30 most recently). They request recommendations from members who sail yawls for good reading material on using the mizzen advantageously?

Adam Wanczura and Edie Dittman of Saanichton, BC are the owners of the 1973 sloop, PENNY WHEEP which is berthed at Sidney, BC.

Pierre Mignot and Genevieve Langlois of Montreal, QUEBEC are the owners of the 1974 yawl, FOLCHON 1 which is berthed in Gaspe, QUEBEC. They bought the boat in Toronto 5 years ago and sailed her to Montreal and spent the first year working on her and sailing in the local area. They subsequently sailed down the St. Lawrence river to Gaspe, and since then in the gulf and the "Des Chaleurs" bay.

Wayne and Cindy Milroy of Cobourg, ONT are the owners of the 1984 sloop, LEEWAY II, which is berthed in Cobourg.



Rick, Paula, Trevor and Graham

February 20, 2001

Happy New Year! We hope that all of you are well. We have had an eventful two months since our last contact and during that time we have been home two times and sailed for four and a half weeks. Our trip has taken us approximately 1850 nautical miles from Toronto so far and we have traveled over 900 statute miles since our last letter. I apologize for the time delay and the old news as this update deals with our trip during last November and December.

We entered North Carolina via the Dismal Swamp, a twenty mile, barely 100 foot wide canal with a welcome centre half way through and a free (the operative word) dock. There were nine sailboats rafted there. The water in the canal is the colour of coke because of the tanic acid produced from the trees of the swamp. At both ends of the canal there are locks that raise the level of the canal to 8 feet. Locking through was a very slow process. If we had taken that much time in each of the Erie Canal locks, we would have taken two months to get through. Upon leaving the south lock, we wound through what seemed like an endless cypress forest. Cypress trees are the first to wimp out and lose their leaves in the fall and the gray colour of their trunks remind me of the general gray of winter at home. Move south! Move south! At the end of this meandering river is Elizabeth City where the famed "Rose Buddies" live. Thirty years ago, a group of citizens started visiting the transient boats and inviting them to a free wine and cheese party. They presented roses to all the women on board the boats. These citizens realized that the transient boaters bring business to their town and created a free dock area which still is free today. One of the original Rose Buddies is still around and visiting the boats daily. Other Elizabeth City people have taken up the tradition. The wine and cheese party was an opportunity to meet new transient sailors and some of the indigenous types as well.

We sailed across Albemarle Sound, down the Alligator River and through the Alligator-Pungo Canal to Belhaven where we stayed at a very accommodating Dowry Creek Marina. They were extraordinarily welcoming and had a courtesy car as well. Downtown Belhaven is a happening place with about 10 stores, including a hardware store with a Radio Shack, a restaurant, a beauty salon and 7 closed-down businesses. We spent minutes there. Like so many towns down the coast the downtown areas are run down and new businesses have sprung up in the suburbs(?). Back at the marina, the owner showed us a photo album about their area during a recent 1998 hurricane. This area looked like a very protected creek, but we were to find out through these pictures that this was not the case. During the hurricane a 10 foot storm surge came up the Pungo river. This surge overwhelmed and wrecked their docks, filled their swimming pool, swept away the pool deck and threatened their house. There were four foot waves on top of the surge. The power portrayed by these pictures only touched the actual threat of this hurricane I'm sure. Boating types, in an effort to save their boats would anchor them at the head of any creek and hope for the best while they themselves are evacuated. Some boats are still stuck in the salt marshes unable to get out.

It was at the Dowry Creek Marina that I learned that my father was not doing very well. Knowing what I do now, I would have returned home at this point. We left Belhaven and traveled down Pamlico Sound toward Oriental with the knowledge that we may have to return home soon. We arrived in Beaufort, North Carolina and upon learning that my father was in grave condition, I arranged for the four of us to fly home. We transferred the boat to a more secluded marina in Morehead City. Now Beaufort and Morehead City, North Carolina are not very near anything except the ocean and we tried everything short of dog sledding to get home in time. After a one hour long taxi ride to New Bern airport, a one hour flight by Dash 8 propeller plane to Charlotte, and a flight to Toronto, we arrived in Toronto to the news that dad had passed away while we were en route. We were home from November 14 until November 22 and of course touched base with many of you during that time.

Upon returning to the boat we knew that we had to make some serious ground before our pre-arranged flight home for Christmas on December 15. From Morehead City, North Carolina to Florida was more than 850 miles of Intra-coastal Waterway and we had three weeks! We left Morehead City on November 23 and started down the "ditch". This was Thanksgiving Day in the United States and nobody was out and about. We traveled over the next few days down this fairly non-descript portion of the Intra-Coastal Waterway and it was uneventful until we got to Southport, NC. We had always had great luck getting into marinas without a reservation. It had been cold and our boat only had a heater when it was attached to shore power. This meant that we had to go into a marina most nights. At Southport we had to cross the Cape Fear River. It was an overcast day with a bit of fog and we knew that there was a possibility of a storm later in the day. We wanted to be snug for the night here. The only problem was that the Southport Marina was full, another marina was too shallow and another still was back on the other side of the river and downstream a bit (toward what looked like a good blow coming). We were resigned to continuing on just as a huge storm hit us. Luckily we were in a smaller part of the ICW and waves would not be a problem, just wind and rain. Our book told us that there were no marinas for another 12 miles. That's two and a half hours for us. We felt a bit disheartened at this point because we were tired. We pushed on. Then, just like a mirage, we found a full marina with great docks that was under construction. There was nobody around, neither on the docks nor ashore, so we squatted for the night (is that a verb?). Anyway, we didn't care and if anyone wanted to come out to the end of these very long docks just to throw us off in this weather, they would need their heads read. Forty knots of wind and heavy rain stayed with us for much of the night, but we were snug and well rested by morning. We took off before anyone knew that we were there.

As we travel south, we are starting to see some signs that it IS happening. We see our first pelicans, lots of dolphins, the tide is getting to be around five to six feet, and the boats are definitely starting to make our boat seem smaller. The pelicans are the most amazing birds. They look pretty goofy sitting on top of dock poles, but when you see them fly, they are masters at it. They glide probably an inch or so from the water (without touching the water ever) and they rise only a few more inches to take the next wing flap. When they see fish in the water, they will crash into the water as if they have broken every bone in their wings. We are also surrounded by dolphins much of the time but mostly we see them where there is little tidal current. We took some great footage of about eight dolphins with our video camera. They would tear by the boat within a couple of feet and jump out of the water at our bow. It was an exciting sight which lasted about five or six minutes. Taking note of the tide is really becoming a big part of each day as a rising tide means that as we go past an ocean entrance, the tidal current will help us up the ICW. It will add about two or three knots to our speed over the ground until we are half way to the next entrance. At that point, we could be facing either a deficit of two or three knots because it is now against us, or if we are lucky, the tide is now ebbing so that it too can add to our speed. With our motor, which is underpowered at best for a boat the size of CARELLEN, the later situation is a bonus. I mentioned that our boat is seeming small as compared to the other boats down the eastern seaboard. We are seeing some gorgeous, large boats. One large sailboat went by us, as most do, at about eight knots under motor alone. It was about fifty feet long with beautiful, traditional lines that went forward into a long bow-sprit. This boat however, would make our heart stop as later in the day we would see her hard aground at a corner of the ICW and completely out of the water laying on her side. It was heart-wrenching and a sight that did not warrant a picture. It was too sad. In this case, they would have had to wait for five more hours for the tide to right the boat making sure that all portholes and any other places that water could enter were plugged. After this sight, we felt more of an affinity to travelling at low tide. We can see where the banks are and we knew that the tide was only going to rise if we went aground. The couple did arrive at the same marina as us that night and went straight to the bar for a stiff drink. Welcome to South Carolina.

Part Seven to come.

Rick, Paula, Trevor and Graham

Check out their website:



By Bill Kellett

I'm working on WANESA, my 1969 sloop, getting ready for spring, and have a technical question.

I have a leak at the drive shaft stuffing box area. I undid the stuff box, slid it up the shaft and revealed the metal (brass) tube used as the shaft log. It doesn't appear that the stuffing box is the cause of the leak (but that's not certain) because the trail of gray dust (from silt in the river water leaking into the boat) begins aft of the stuffing box. The brass tube shaft log is not glassed firmly into the hull (There is play in the tube.) but seems to be caulked into position with some kind of flexible caulk. At first I thought it was grease impregnated cloth fibers but it seems more likely some kind of semi-rigid caulk. My question is, what is supposed to hold and seal the shaft log into position? What did the builders do in 1969? My old boat (a Cal 29) had the shaft log glassed into the hull. It was a larger diameter tube, giving more clearance to the shaft and it was a fiberglass tube. Is glassing a brass tube into a fiberglass hull a reasonable solution? Have you ever noticed an excessive leak in this area? My bilge pump ran every hour last summer.

(Ed. Response) We had a problem on our 1975 yawl SHEARWATER many years ago with a leaking shaft log. Our problem occurred right after we bought our boat in '82, and the boat had never before been in salt water, and had no zinc installed. It turned out that electrolysis had eaten through the bronze tube from the inside out just at the position of the rubber hose clamp that held the stuffing box to the shaft log. We hauled the boat and removed the prop and shaft. In order to remove the shaft log, remove the two bolts holding the cutless bearing housing and you should be able to remove the entire shaft log from the rear of the boat(need to remove the stuffing box and hose/clamps first). The bronze tubing (1-1/4" bronze pipe) is threaded into the cutless bearing housing (pipe threads), and was bedded with some semi-flexible caulking compound. It was quite a chore to remove it, but by twisting and turning, was able to remove the entire assembly. We were able to get a piece of 1-1/4" bronze tubing made up, threaded and reinstalled the assembly, using some good caulking (don't use 3-M 5200 or you'll never be able to ever get it out again). Upon removal, the bronze tube was still firmly threaded into the cutless bearing housing. It sounds like your bronze tube has come loose from the cutless bearing housing - perhaps by electrolysis. You should not be able to move the shaft log itself if everything is OK. I suggest that you pull the prop and shaft , remove the cutless bearing housing, and see if the shaft log is still attached. I suspect that it's not. The only way to properly fix this problem is to do what we did in the paragraph above. You might figure out some way to install a fiberglass tube instead of a bronze tube. As far as I know, all A-37s have this arrangement.


By Rose Hansmeyer and Tom McMaster


Being sailors like you, we are always looking for new adventures and places to sail. Our 37’ Alberg SOJOURN is located on Lake Superior and therefore we have all winter to dream of sunny days and gentle breezes. After looking at several charter companies in various locations, we quickly realized that it was far too expensive to own and maintain our boat and pay to charter another.

We searched for other options through various magazines and web sites and came across a site called The beauty of sailboat exchange is that it allows you to avoid the high cost of chartering simply by exchanging or sharing the use of your own boat.

We contacted the owner of the site and found that they were looking for someone that would take it over. Thanks to encouragement from sailor friends, we decided to do just that. We felt it would benefit not only ourselves, but also owners like you who have a similar desire to explore the world. Check it out!

Rose Hansmeyer and Tom McMaster

Minneapolis, MN


By John Volk

Alberg Rendezvous

June 24th & 25th , 2001

Port Browning Marina

Port Browning, North Pender Island, BC


Lat : 048° 46’ 39.0" Long : 123° 16’ 22.5"

Please consider this YOUR invitation!

This is the Sixth anniversary for the West Coast and we are looking forward to seeing all of our old friends and making many new ones!

Contact: John Volc

1237 Adderley Street

North Vancouver, BC CANADA V7L 1T6

Tel:(604) 983-3036 Cel: (604) 970-4759



Recent offerings include:

RED FOX, hull #14, 1967 sloop located at Berthier-sur-Mer (near Quebec City). Well maintained, recently refurbished, in good condition. Complete description and photos available by contacting Guy Leroux at ;Tel: 819.389.5351.

Clayton Cole is still offering the 1986 yawl RESOLUTE for sale. Clayton can be reached at (616) 345-3222. RESOLUTE is located in Michigan.

Mike Phelps is continuing to offer for sale: "CHRYSALIS hull #42 1968 Sloop Located St. Croix US Virgin Islands is still for sale. Completed 7 year circumnavigation. Complete cruising package: Aries windvane, Westerbeke 4-107, 7 sails, 4 man liferaft, awnings, windscoop, cockpit cushions, sleeps 4, kero stove, VHF radio, stereo, knotmeter, 2 deep cycle batteries, 3 CQR anchors w/ rode, fenders w/ docklines, 11ft Avon w/ 10 hp Johnson. Sandscrew mooring available in front of St. Croix Yacht Club. Price: $34,000 USD"

Mike can be contacted at:

Amy Frasher may be interested in selling her 1973 yawl, DOLPHIN. If anyone knows of someone interested, they should contact Amy at 804.798.2648 or DOLPHIN lies in Ashley’s Cove, just off Dymer Creek near Windmill Point, VA.

Jeremy Selwyn is offering for sale the 1972 Alberg 37 Yawl Hull # 102 SEA CYCLE. She is a very well-equipped yawl with extensive inventory. Contact Jeremy at P.O. Box 587, Parkhill, Ontario, Canada. N0M 2K0. Tel: 519-294-8894. E-mail: Delivery or delivery assistance (both by water) should be considered negotiable. Asking $55,000 (U.S.).




Provided by Fred and Phyllis Owen

Prince Madoc And The Welsh Indians

In the year 1170 AD, a medieval Welsh prince by the name of Madoc ab Owain Gwynedd, became tired of the constant warfare and petty quarreling then current in his homeland and decided to sail with a body of followers out into the Atlantic Ocean in his ship the Gwennan Gorn to find a more satisfactory environment.

Prince Madoc according to the legend, discovered a new land across the seas to the west which he found very satisfactory for settlement. He returned to Wales to spread the good news of his discovery and induced more Welshmen to accompany him on his return to the new land. Nothing more was ever heard of the Prince or his followers.

Humphrey Lloyd, one of the leading geographers of Elizabethan times identifies the land which Madoc had supposedly discovered on his first trip, as Florida.

On his second voyage to America, Prince Madoc is believed to have landed in Mobile Bay, Alabama more than three centuries before Christopher Columbus arrived in the New World. There are several reasons for believing this, but the most compelling evidence lies in the frequent reports of English and French explorers of the late seventeenth, eighteenth, and early nineteenth centuries, saying that they met with Indians who were light-skinned, had beards, and spoke the Welsh language-descendants of Prince Madoc and his followers. Hearing these accounts, one Welshman John Thomas Evans, came to America, from North Wales, in 1792, just to search for his kinsmen, the Welsh Indians. He said he did not find them, but he may have lied - for Spanish gold. One of America's great but neglected artists, George Callin, not looking for Welsh Indians, said he found them, and left us pictorial - and other - testimony of the Mandan tribe.

Over the years many books have been written and setting forth the evidence, pro and con, for Madoc's voyage and the existence of the Welsh Indians, was it all just myth or legend? Prince Madoc did exist; a voyage was possible. But did it really take place? It was President Thomas Jefferson, who on the night of January 13, 1804 dispatched a letter to another Welsh American, Meriwether Lewis containing a map of the upper Missouri river valley. The map had been prepared by a third Welsh-American, one John Thomas Evans, an immigrant from Wales, who had explored the upper reaches of the Missouri River Valley some nine years previous in search of the Welsh Indians. The map proved to be accurate and was unquestionably of aid to the Lewis and Clark expedition.

(Fred and Phyllis added that the couple who had previously owned PRINCE MADOC were of Welsh descent, thus the name, and since Fred’s ancestors were also Welsh, they were more than happy to retain the original name.)


Provided by Wayne Bower

The origin of the name TEELOK is Thai. It is used by the Thai's to refer to a girl friend or mistress. I spent some time in Thailand and the name just seemed to fit perfectly to a well loved vessel. Next time you go into a Thai restaurant, ask the waitress for the meaning of TEELOK, you'll probably get a big broad grin as your reply.



Rose Hansmeyer and Tom McMaster (SOJOURN) operate the

Sailboat Exchange which provides a database of sailboat owners who are willing to exchange the use of their boat for the use of another boat in a different part of the country. Check it out!

If any members find interesting/applicable websites, please pass them on to us.


We’ve been ‘webmasters’ for several months now, and have survived moving the web site to an new (and affordable) server. We haven’t changed the design of the website due to time and experience considerations, and we think the design is too good to change. We periodically check to see if the links to other sites are still operative, but sometimes we miss one. If you find links that don’t work, just send us an email and we’ll eventually look at it and remove/revise as required. Please be advised that we aren’t professional webmasters.



We’ve put together a few items that you might want to check prior to spring launching and getting underway for the 2001 sailing season:



by the Editor

The purpose of the newsletter is to provide a vehicle for the exchange of ideas relating to our Alberg 37 experiences (good and bad), maintenance tips, cruising information and to maintain a roster of Alberg 37 owners. We suggest a donation of $10.00 a year to cover costs of publishing the quarterly newsletter, postage, Xerox services, and of course, maintaining the web site. We also suggest to our Non-U.S. members that they send an International Money Order payable in U.S. dollars (a Canadian Postal Money Order works for Canadian members).

You will notice a date on the label of the newsletter mailing. This is a reminder of your responsibility to help maintain the newsletter / association. For those receiving the newsletter via Email, we ask that you honor your commitment to the Association. The Association needs your help!

Also, you should be aware of our group's agreement with BOAT U.S. whereby we get membership for half price ($8.50 vice $17.00) as members of a cooperating group. Please mention that you are a member of the Alberg 37 Owners Group and include the Cooperating Group number GA 83253 S when you join Boat U.S. or send in your annual renewal of membership. Boat U.S. membership is no longer required to make purchases from their stores or catalog, however, membership is still required for the purchase of boaters insurance.

We have a few A-37 IOC pennants are still available for $30.00 U.S. which includes postage . The price will increase slightly with the next order. The cost will probably go up with the next order. This is a very tastefully rendered and durable pennant.

If you have email, please use it to communicate with us, as it will make assembling the newsletter much easier.

We continually need maintenance articles, cruising tales, etc. for inclusion in the newsletter. Send us what you have and if you can send it to us in digital format (via email or on a diskette) so much the better.

For those members transiting the Chesapeake Bay, please plan to stop by Kinsale for a few days (or longer). It's only about 10 miles off the Bay (up the Potomac to the Yeocomico River), and our area is very secluded, protected (good hurricane hole) and quiet, and a very good cruising area, especially in the fall. We'd love to have you stop for a few days. Each fall we have several ‘snowbirds’ stop on their way south. (Yes, we even have a hot tub!)

Please note our Kinsale VA phone number - (804) 472-3853 - leave a message if we aren’t at home.

If we inadvertently missed any of your correspondence, just hit us again – we’ve been getting a lot of mail, especially email. REMEMBER, THIS IS YOUR NEWSLETTER!

Keep the letters and emails coming and get those boats ready for spring launching / sailing!


Tom and Kaye Assenmacher