C/O Tom and Kaye Assenmacher 

Box 32, Kinsale, VA 22488 

(804) 472-3853





Jose (Joe) Fernandes, of Triton Sails, passed away in his home in Oakville, Ontario, on July 11, 2002. A fourth generation sailmaker, Joe made many of the original Alberg 37 sails. This famous and beloved sailmaker will be missed by all who knew and loved him. A small donation on behalf of the A-37 IOA was made to the Canadian Cancer Society in remembrance of Joe.



By Karen Kinnear and Marcel Steinz


The annual Alberg 37 International Owners Association Rendezvous was held in Kinsale, Virginia on the weekend of September 28th. And what a rendezvous it was! Kaye and TJ Assenmacher (SHEARWATER #157) hosted this get together at their beautiful home on the banks of the Yeocomico River off the Chesapeake. Their docks and home became a festive site for guests to enjoy.


Ron and Kaye Surley (MY GIRL #174) came by air from Dallas Texas. Attending from Canada were Bunky and Geoff Cunliffe (THE EVERDEN #200*), Karen Kinnear and Marcel Steinz (SOUTHERN CROSS #180*) and Dave and Patti Kent. Bunky and Geoff arrived by boat after sailing the Chesapeake for the summer, and are on their way south to the Caribbean. Marcel, Karen, Dave and Patti all drove down from Oakville for the weekend. Southern Cross is wintering at the Assenmacher dock this year.

Also arriving by boat were Sherrill and Wayne Bower (TEELOK #178) sailing from the Magothy River, Maryland. Other Alberg 37 owners attending were Jane and Charlie Deakyne (SCRIMSHAW #152), Bruce McFarland (TARDIS #510) from Wilmington, Delaware. Joining the group were Junior and Irvanette Hall from Park Hall, Maryland; Bob and Betty Hayes, Leonardtown, Maryland; and Rob and Sue Sloan on THE BABY (an Alberg 37 wanabee) from St. Inigoes, Maryland. One cannot forget Becky Long (SOLSKIN II, #58) and Jerry Knop from Reisterstown, Maryland.

The Rendezvous got underway with a Friday evening happy hour followed by a BBQ where Marcel cooked up some great burgers. Time passed quickly as everyone became re-acquainted and traded stories of recent adventures. Saturday dawned bright and clear, the beginning of a perfect day of weather for outdoor activities. Everyone enjoyed a buffet breakfast laid on by our hosts and many of the guests present. The four A37’s at the dock proved to be the morning’s main attraction as owners compared vessels and talked over various upgrades, modifications and repairs. Since Ron and Kaye (MY GIRL #174) have yet to actually sail their Alberg, they welcomed the chance go out with Geoff, Dave and Jerry on THE EVERDEN and take the wheel under full sail on the Potomac River. All aboard enjoyed a great sail on this bright and breezy day! Meanwhile, many of those not sailing took the opportunity to explore and do some local shopping in the Kinsale area.

Back at Tom and Kaye’s, dozens of Tom’s homegrown oysters were being steamed over an open fire for a mid-afternoon feast. Very shortly after the oysters were devoured, everyone gathered down on the dock to dive into bushels of blue crabs. Messy to eat but when you can just toss the shells into the river or roll them up in the paper table cloths it is lots of fun. By the time happy hour arrived everyone was already quite happy. And then there was dinner! This was another fine spread served buffet style. Of course the highlight of the meal was Becky’s "Hot Lips" crab soup. No one went to bed hungry this day! After dinner, Tom and Kaye presented some awards and door prizes and the socializing and story telling kept everyone laughing late into the evening.

After breakfast on Sunday, it was time to begin the good-byes. The four Canadians from Oakville left early and others left during the day or the following morning.

This rendezvous turned out to be a great success on all counts and will long be remembered by all those present. Many thanks to Tom and Kaye Assenmacher for opening up their beautiful home to us and for being such thoughtful and gracious hosts.

(Note: Rendezvous photos will be posted on the A-37 web site in the near future.)





Geoff and Bunkey Cunliffe (THE EVERDEN) spent a few days in July at the Assenmacher dock in Kinsale, VA. They returned from cruising the Bahamas and cruised the Chesapeake Bay this summer. Geoff and Bunkey also attended the Fall Rendezvous in Kinsale in late September, and are now on their way south for a possible Caribbean cruise. They recently sent an update of their cruise:

"We've spent a long, enjoyable, but very hot summer in Chesapeake Bay, and are now headed south again. We went up the Potomac to Washington DC, anchoring a few minutes walk from the center of the city, and spent a week seeing the sights and the museums there. Also looked up some old friends in Alexandria VA while we were there. We also went to a hugely popular 2nd annual Cruisers reunion in Baltimore, where we ran into lots of friends we'd met over the past year's cruising. We also found lots more little creeks to anchor in, lots more new little towns, and above all, some more incredibly friendly and helpful people, including one couple who lent us their Land Rover for the day to go into town to do grocery shopping and laundry. We've now spent about 6 months in total cruising the Chesapeake and still only scratched the surface - its an incredible body of water. We consider ourselves very lucky to be able to maintain this lifestyle!! Bunkey took me round to Catamaran dealers in Annapolis and we even thought fairly seriously about a Solaris 39 "fixer-upper", but decided to carry on with our existing plans at least until after we'd been to the Caribbean and back. We went to the Alberg 37 rendezvous in Kinsale (Yeocomico off the Potomac) in Sept, where we had a great weekend, an orgy of food including mountains of local oysters and crab, and a super afternoon's sail with a couple from Texas who had bought an Alberg 37 (Ketch) and spent 18 months fixing it up but had never sailed one until then!! (luckily they thought it was great!!).

Now we're getting back into the routine of traveling; getting up and leaving the anchorage at first light, checking the weather and the various cruisers nets on the radio, looking for the next place to buy groceries, diesel or do laundry, arranging places to pick up mail, and libraries to check internet, etc, etc. Sometimes we stop though. At the free dock at Great Bridge VA, a few days ago, I spent all day fixing the raw water pump on the engine (removed 3 hoses and the alternator to even see it; its the one really bad maintenance access on this engine), but then we caught eight crab and one catfish right off the dock.

Hoping to catch up with more friends from last year in NC, and spend a few days with them. Its a tough life!! Will do another update when we're further south. Bye for now Geoff and Bunkey, on board "THE EVERDEN".



The following was received from Greg Blair in mid October: "G'Day from tropical Australia, Just a quick note, TUULI is on the move. We plan on sailing her from Australia to Auckland, loading her on a float on float off yacht carrier ( for transport to Vancouver. Once in Vancouver, we will either truck her to Toronto, or leave her on the west coast and cruise up to Alaska next summer. The official plan is to truck her to Toronto. After 3 years on hard stand in Cairns, Queensland (16d55'S/145d45'E) we are on the move. We are heading down the east coast of Australia to pick up the roaring 40's for the passage across the Tasman to New Zealand. The Aussies tell us the Tasman is always stormy. Right now there is a 968 mb low kicking up 42 ft waves south of Australia heading into the Tasman. It should be well past us by the time we turn left and run for New Zealand. I hope we don't encounter such a deep low. Our first shake down leg was a 380 NM passage from Cairns to Airlie Beach (20d16'S/148d43'E), in the heart of the Whitsundays. No great surprises. The rudder post stuffing box opened up again. It did that once before, nearly sinking us as we had all 4 bilge pump fail: 2 electrical, 2 manual. The bucket saved us. This time, we had 2 new electric (including wiring) and new rubber in the pair of Whale MK III hand pumps. The electrical pumps handled the inflow of water. Our next shake down leg will be a 850 NM passage from Airlie Beach to Sydney. If all goes well, we will head from Sydney to Lord Howe Island enroute to Auckland."

Jerry Steketee recently sent the following account of the holding tank problem on his son Peter's 1986 yawl, RESOLUTE. "This weekend, while getting ready to pull my son, Peter's, A37 out of the water we experienced problems with the pump out of the holding tank. The pump produced only air and was unsuccessful. The marina owner assured us that his pump was working properly and I am confident that he was right. Peter and I suspect that the "down tube" which extends to the bottom of the holding tank has become disconnected or has sprung a big enough leak to prevent good suction of the contents of the tank. We, or should I say, Peter now faces the unpleasant task of opening the tank to ascertain what is wrong."

(Ed. Note: Years ago we opened up the aluminum holding tank and discovered severe pitting of the interior of the tank, verging on failure. We subsequently replaced the tank with a home-made plywood/epoxy/fiberglass tank of the same dimensions which is now used as a water tank. A holding tank was built underneath the port V-berth in the drawer-locker area.)


Bill Horne and Deb Kinney report that their MK-I sloop, SERENADE, is on the hard in Palmas del Mar, Puerto Rico, where they are sitting out the peak hurricane season and will launch in October. They have really enjoyed Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.


Marc Kip Culver recently returned from a 3 month reconnaissance trip to France and the Balearic Islands in the Mediterranean where they were scouting out places to sail into when they cross the Atlantic next May aboard their 1972 yawl, FOLIE DOUCE. They found a lot of beautiful harbors, anchorage's and moorings.

Marc wishes to pass on to Westerbeke owners to check the exhaust system (from the manifold to the exhaust hose). His engine is 30 years old, runs great, but the exhaust manifold recently burst from internal corrosion. The only clues were hairline rust cracks on the outside. Luckily they were at the dock and shut down at once. Had this happened at sea, the results would be very bad. He replaced the riser which was about to break as well. The manifold cost about $200, and the riser $100. The elbows and nipples were replaced with stainless steel for about $30.


Charles Bahn recently sent a CD of photos of his late model (1985, Hull # 238) sloop, RAVEN. RAVEN is the only MK-II/IIIs we've seen in the 5 opening port (each side) configuration. Charles also passed along a copy of a letter from Carl Alberg (written in 1982) in which Mr. Alberg discusses a forestaysail arrangement for the Alberg 37, along with an annotated sail plan.


While on our "shakedown" Chesapeake Bay cruise aboard SHEARWATER in early to mid October, we (Tom and Kaye Assenmacher) had an opportunity to visit with Bill Beaver and Heather Bernhards. They have made a lot of progress on refurbishing the 1973 yawl, HALCYONE. They have completely stripped the interior, repainted/revarnished all components, and have most of the boat reassembled. They are looking forward to a good season of sailing in 2003.


David Payne sent us a link to their web page relating their cruise from Maine to Martha's Vineyard aboard Tempus Fugit. A link to this site has also been included on the Alberg 37 web site home page.


David and Joyce Lahmann recently wrote the following:

"Last year 2001 was a very interesting year for the two of us. We did a lot of day sailing out of Manitowoc throughout the summer.

The fun really started in July when some friends joined me for a sail to the north end of Lake Michigan. We started at St. James on Beaver Island, a terrific sail from Manitowoc if you don't count the two squalls that caught us out in the lake. We arrived about midnight. We went next to Charlevoix a little back down the lake. With winds still from the East we headed next to Manistique where we found the yacht harbor had only four feet of water. We tied to a construction wharf and notified the local police who we were and that we would be eating dinner in town and leaving at first light. They OK'd.

We sailed on to Big Bay de Noc and the Ghost Town of Fayette where the was a pig iron works years ago and complete city and surrounding farming community to support the city and the iron works. We continued on the next day to Little Bay de Noc and the city of Escanaba where we found a great Brew Pub Restaurant within a short walking distance to the Marina as well as the problem that the float in our carburetor on the Atomic4 had stuck open and we had gallons of fuel in the bilge. I turned off the automatic bilge pump and turned on the blower. My two friends decided not to take the bus back to their cars but to help me sail back to Manitowoc the next day against head winds, squalls, and fog (all unwelcomed by us). Over two days for to sail 100 miles or so.

In September Joyce and I sailed across to Pentwater, Michigan a course of 110 degree and distance of sixty miles. The first twenty went well and then we were caught in a storm of plus sixty mile per hour winds. The forecast said nothing about this and my wind meter only went to sixty. We arrived early in the morning (a normal twelve hour crossing) in just under nine hours with a reefed genoa. We enjoyed several days in Pentwater and sailed back in thirty mile per hour winds and much smaller seas. Joyce only feared me falling overboard but with all controls in the cockpit we had little to fear. Joyce had every confidence in our sloop.

(Note: David and Joyce have decided to retire and have decided to sell "SHE 'N I" - see "For Sale" section of the Newsletter/Website).


Jack St. John did a short cruise this summer with the Boothbay (ME) Harbor Yacht Club. While in Tenants Harbor, they met David Paine and Erica Andreson aboard the MK-I sloop, TEMPUS FUGIT. Jack mentioned that they are very happy with their newly installed Phasor (Kubota) diesel/prop combination, and get about 7 kts at 2500 RPM. According to Jack, the boat backs quite well with the new engine.

(Ed. Note: We most recently installed the same engine/prop combination aboard our 1975 yawl, SHEARWATER, and are very happy with the installation).


Brian and Kathy Marsh continue to cruise their sloop, TUNDRA in the southern Caribbean during the winters, while spending their summers at home in Sarnia, Ontario. TUNDRA took part in the Bequia 2002 race.


Jay and Leigh Zittrer sent a photo in July of SHARED WATCH flying an appropriately designed "July 4th" spinnaker which has been posted on the web site.

Shad Dusseau and Barbara Cohea of Anchorage, Alaska, are underway on a 5+ year Pacific Ocean cruise aboard their 1980 sloop, TAO.

Ron and Kaye Surley recently wrote the following regarding their 1973 ketch (yes, a ketch) MY GIRL: "We acquired her at the end of December 2000 from James Powell in Rockport, Texas. She started her sailing life as a ketch, one of only six (6) reportedly built. The ketch rig was not installed on her during the survey and we have plans to convert her to a yawl. The previous owner had removed the ketch rig and we have the entire ketch setup in storage (this includes, shorter main sail boom, all standing and running and rigging, and 35 foot tall ketch mast and ketch boom). Any Alberg 37 owner that would want to convert (from sloop or yawl) to a ketch, should contact us We would be very interested in making a trade." (Ed. Note: Do any members know the whereabouts of any of the remaining ketches???)





While on a recent Chesapeake Bay Cruise, Tom and Kaye Assenmacher (SHEARWATER, #157) experienced a failure of their Wilcox-Crittenden Imperial 51 head. The lower threaded part of the piston rod separated at the attachment point of the pump leathers/pump leather retainers due to severe electrolysis. They were able to effect a temporary repair the rod by using a ½" die to cut a few new threads on the piston rod, whereby the pump leathers/pump leather retainers were reattached. The pump had been rebuilt immediately prior to the cruise, with new pump leathers having been installed. Unfortunately, when the pump leather retainers were tightened at the time of rebuild, the rod did not fail, nor show any exterior signs of electrolysis. New piston rods are available from Wilcox-Crittenden (, or could be fabricated from ½" bronze rod.






Jimmy & Jeanne Sadler of Punta Gorda Fl., have been liveaboards on the Alberg 37 Yawl, ISLAND TIME for 7 years. They cruised the Caribbean, and are now back, refitting her again to put her on the market (see the "For Sale" listings).


Ron and Kim Hester, of Hawi, Hawaii, are the owners of a 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl, hull # 167. The boat was formerly named "Grand Adventurer" by the original owner Dick Minor, according to their information.

"Unfortunately, our vessel sank on it's mooring in Hilo Bay a number of years ago while still belonging to it's original owner. It has been through at least a couple of owners since that have all attempted the rebuild but have given up after investing an unknown amount of time and money. Now it's my turn.

The hull has been repaired and appears sound. However, the cabin has been dismantled to facilitate the hull repair. The engine was removed along with all the associated electrics and plumbing. Also, all deck and cabin hardware was removed. Yes, it is a huge project! Included along with the boxes of hardware etc. were a few old Association Newsletters. In Vol. VIII, No. 1 dated 8 January 98 there is mention of a set of A-37 instructions, wiring, rigging and plumbing diagrams supplied to Dick Wilke by Whitby Boat Works. An offer was made to supply these to anyone interested. Are these materials still available? They sound like something that would be invaluable to me at this stage of our project. I have never seen an Alberg 37 other than the one we own and there are none available within thousands of miles that I am aware of. Any and all information that is available from you and/or other owners would be appreciated. I am currently painting the cabin interior and plan to rewire and plumb the engine next. Digital photos of the engine compartment of functioning vessels along with any comments or suggestions which could be e-mailed would be of great help to me."

Perhaps some of the Association members know the vessel and/or her history - if so, they should contact Ron and Kim at P.O. Box 412, Hawi, HI 96719 or





The current Featured Alberg 37 is BRANDELARA II, a 1970 Alberg 37 sloop, Hull # 66, owned Frank and Linda Smart, of Barrie, Ontario (Check out the following link to the website):

Anyone wanting their A-37 "Featured" on the web site, simply send us a half dozen or so color photographs (action/sailing views preferred). If you have a digital camera, so much the better (saves us having to scan the photo)….75 dpi seems to work quite well for viewing photos on a computer monitor while keeping the file size within reason.




(OPD Requirement)


Boaters, especially Canadians heading south, should be aware that portable propane bottles not fitted with the new Overfilling Protection Device (OPD - a float valve attached internally to the bottle valve) will no longer be filled in the US. Only bottles with the OPD will be serviced. More Information regarding OPDs can be found at:





A-37 Coffee Mugs available for $15 U.S. which includes postage. (Those ordering mugs outside the U.S. please add $5.00 for additional postage.) Unfortunately, postage/shipping/insurance costs have become nearly prohibitive – that’s the reason for the increased cost. The mugs have a line drawing of the A-37 (sloop or yawl - please specify your choice) imprinted with "ALBERG 37 INTERNATIONAL OWNERS ASSOCIATION" and a color drawing of the A-37 Pennant printed on the outside of the mug. (We can place your BOAT NAME under the line drawing for no additional cost if you so desire - please specify). Please allow at least 3-4 weeks for delivery, as we have them made up individually.





We have few pennants available for $30.00 U.S. which includes postage. This is a very tastefully rendered and durable pennant.





(Check the Website for further details and photos)


Recent offerings include:


1968 Alberg 37 Yawl, equipped for cruising. On the hard at the Indiantown Marina, Indiantown, FL.


Ron and Cindy Strahm

2820 S. Crenshaw Road

Independence, MO 64057


TEL: 816.228.6325

FAX: 816.229.6100



1967 Alberg 37 Sloop, many updates, slipped in Manitowoc, WI. Asking $37,000 U.S. Call for information.

David and Joyce Lahmann

TEL: 319.882.3023



"Scotty" Lamont is selling his 1975 Alberg 37 Sloop, Hull # 142. The boat is in excellent condition and is being offered for $49,000 US. Contact Niagara on the Lake Yacht Sales at:

1-877-624-6312 (Toll Free)

The boat is lying in St. Catherines, Ontario.



1974 Alberg 37 Yawl, Hull #126, Equipped for cruising, Slipped in Longport, NJ

Asking $35,000. U.S. Call for information.

George Chapman

TEL: 609.625.1110



1973 Alberg 37 Sloop, Hull # 107. Complete recent refit, more than $90K spent in the last 2 years. Excellent buy at $48,500 US. Recent change in plans necessitates sale. Boat lying in Cape Canaveral at Cape Marina.

Contact Rick Jeffs




Alberg 37 Yawl, Hull # 84.

"We have been liveaboards for 7 yrs, on a custom designed interior Alberg 37. When completed, we cruised the Caribbean, and are now back, refitting her again to put her on the market."

Jimmy & Jeanne Sadler








Wanted: Mizzen rig for Mark II yawl. Any information, design details, photos and parts welcomed. Has anyone got an old rig removed in a conversion to sloop? Please contact Bob Prescott, North Marshfield, MA (617) 921-0235

I would like to purchase a mizzen staysail if anyone has one they are willing to part with.

Jay Zittrer





(Continued from the Summer Newsletter)
By Wayne Bower


Leaving Blue Hill, we headed north of Long Island and under Newbury Neck destined for Bartlett Narrows. There is a cove in the Narrows called Great Cove that I’ve used before. It’s open to the south- east and yet with the winds out of the west, it was a perfect spot for the night. I also wanted to flip the inflatable to clean the bottom and Great Cove was a good spot for that also.

The following morning I pulled anchor and continued through the Narrows heading for Southwest Harbor. Southwest is located on the south side of Mt. Dessert Island and is the home of Hinckley Yachts. The harbor is loaded with moored boats; however, there always seems to be room for one more of us transients. The harbor holds a high percentage of Hinckleys, which is not surprising, but it also has a fair number of work boats which tends to give the place a little character. Ashore you can find most of what you’d need for the boat and crew. Hinckleys is always worth a visit and I’ve always found the personal here friendly and eager to please. A stop at Beal’s Lobsters is a must. Beals also has the cheapest diesel in town although there is no indication that they even sell fuel to the general public. There is a town dock where you can land the dink which gives you easy access to down town Southwest. I used to like to stop into Morris Yachts, but this trip I found they had moved to Bass Harbor. Oh yes, there is also a West Marine in Southwest.

The following day, I pulled anchor and headed south to one of the nicest of the offshore Islands - Long Island. There is a picturesque village on the Island called Frenchboro and there is a snack bar at the village and at this snack bar one can get the greatest fish chowder anywhere. All that is the good part. The bad part is it wasn’t open - disappointment! Apparently it won’t be open till at least the 4th of July - another five days. It’s only a couple miles to Swan Island so on we went to Burnt Coat Harbor via the back door. This rear entrance is an especially interesting passage in a dense fog, but today was, for the most part, fog free. There isn’t a lot to do here, but it is a nice spot to spend a couple days. I guess I should mention the weather. It has been basically fog free with day time temperatures in the 70’s and night time temperatures in the 50/60’s (i.e., quite pleasant).

The day before we left Burnt Coat we were socked in with fog most of the day; however, for this trip, fog has been the exception rather than the rule. On 7/2 the TEELOK was underway again and heading for Vinal Haven. I hadn’t checked the forecast that morning, but things looked good for an easy passage although in limited visibility. About an hour later the sky darkened, the winds blew, the temperature dropped, the rain fell (in buckets), lightning strikes everywhere and visibility went almost to zero. This wouldn’t be that bad if it wasn’t for all the rock around. It took what seemed like forever, but eventually I managed to locate a reference point and held position. When things finally quieted down, a heavy fog set in.

The next anchorage was to be Perry Creek on Vinal Haven. Perry Creek is a good protected anchorage (except from the east) located within a couple miles of the village of North Haven. Another plus for the creek is the mussel beds located here. Nothing like a good feast of fresh steamed mussels dipped in butter. They were gooooood. I should also note the change in temperature while we were here. The highest temperature we had seen to date was a very pleasant mid 70’s. While here in the creek, it went up into the mid 90’s. I came topside of the first morning here and was hit with a blast of 90+. What a shocker. The water temperature is still in the 50’s. It was just too hot to stay out. As nice as Perry Creek is, I was running low on some supplies so off we went to Rockland.

Rockland is on the western side of Penobscot Bay and a short eight miles from the creek. It’s a good spot to restock, take showers, wash clothes etc. While here, I found a restaurant(what else), that gave you twice as much(seafood no less) as you could eat. I had scallops cooked in butter and garlic and could only finish half of it. Definitely, my type of place!

From Rockland it was a short ten mile run up to Islesboro - one of the islands in the center of Penobscot Bay. The timing was right so I went the ten or so miles north to see if I could find the cruisers rendezvous that I’d heard about earlier. I waited around for a day, but never did find anything that looked like a rendezvous so I headed south for Muscle Ridge Channel which leads to Tenants Harbor.

After leaving Tenants, we headed for Christmas Cove located on the Damariscotta River. It’s a small inlet that’s just about filled with moorings. There might have been one spot to drop the hook, but I managed to spot a private mooring without an occupant. After a little "mooring analysis", I figured it was a keeper so I grabbed it for the night.

There wasn’t anything in Christmas Cove that was holding me back so the following morning it was off to Boothbay. Here the cleanup process was to start. After all, the 1st Mate was due in and the ship needed to be put in shape for her arrival. Oh yes, I can’t remember if I mentioned seeing the square rigger BOUNTY. She was on the hard at Boothbay when we arrived about a month ago and today she was back in the water. I talked with the 3rd Mate for a bit and learned a little about the boat. Evidentially, she was trying to sink when they brought her in. They now have that under control, but she needs a ton of work. They appear to be operating on a shoestring budget with the crew doing most, if not all, of the work.

After checking out the BOUNTY, it was off to Townsend Gut to set the hook for the night. I could have spent the night in Boothbay, but the Gut has a lot nicer scenery and the anchoring a little easier. Leaving the Gut, it was a relatively short run over to "The Basin". The Basin is a hurricane hole located on the eastern side of Casco Bay and a short distance from Sebasco Lodge. We had the land transport so restocking for the following week was made that much easier. Sunday is the day that Sebasco has a brunch beside the pool. It is quite good and I always make sure I time my arrival to partake of same. As I say, I travel on my stomach. There is usually a group playing chamber music while you eat(a little bit of class), but for some reason they weren’t in attendance this morning. Never the less, it was goooooood.

The following morning we were off again. This time we were heading for another spot that neither of us had ever been to, Jewel Island - located relatively close to Portland. Leaving Jewel, Sherrill & I needed to head back to Sebasco Lodge so that she could pick up the van to start the trip south. There is a floating dock at the lodge so we just needed to come along side for a few minutes so she could jump ship and get the land transport heading for Scituate(MA). We would meet up again at Scituate. The TEELOK in the mean time was heading for the Portland area to anchor for the night behind Peaks Island. There is a ferry that runs from the Island to Portland, about once an hour so it makes a convenient spot to anchor. There aren’t a lot of places to anchor in this area, but this is one of them. I don’t like to tow a dink at sea so here is where the dink got cleaned up for storage. I cleaned the bottom of the dink once during the trip and was hoping it wouldn’t be that bad. I should have cleaned it more than once(HA).

There was a norther predicted for the next couple days - one for my side. The morning of 7/19 we got underway about 0500 and put the pointy end heading for Cape Ann. It turned out to be an eleven and a half hour trip which put us into the harbor at Gloucester about 1630 - an easy trip. On the following morning, I again pulled anchor at O-Dark-Thirty and headed the relatively short distance to Scituate arriving in the harbor before noon. While here we also met up with a fellow A37 owner, Bob Prescott. I’d been in contact with him via Email while on the Maine Coast and he wanted to get together when I arrived in Scituate. On Sunday evening, we met up on TEELOK and had a couple hour chat talking about the A37’s. What better way to spend an evening!

The winds were predicted to be out of the SW and in the 15 - 25K range for the following afternoon and I needed to get through the Cape Cod Canal during the ebb tide which started about 0900. This combination said get up and get underway early. I had a good sail, but the winds were piping by the time I got to the canal. The problem with strong SW winds on an ebb tide is that the waves square up on the Buzzards Bay end of the canal. As it turned out, they weren’t all that bad. The strong SW’ers were predicted to stay around for a couple more days so rather than fight the head winds on Buzzards Bay, I put into Onset to wait it out. As it turned out, I had only a one day wait before the winds shifted to the northeast.

On Wednesday morning, I managed to be out into the channel by 0600. When I pulled anchor, the winds were barely up, but by the time I motored the short distance to the channel, they were in to the 20-25k range and building. It was an exhilarating day on the water. We were fighting the currents in Buzzards Bay to start out, but the farther we got from the canal, the less it was a factor. About noon, the sun came out and the winds dropped down in the 15k range. We were heading west with a northeast wind, doesn’t get much better than this. That afternoon, we put into Stonington, Ct.

Stonington is a small protected harbor located behind Fishers Island. With the winds out of the northeast, it was perfect spot to spend the night. As it turned out, that evening’s entertainment was watching the small boat harbor races. We were some what up close and personal with the course. Some looked like they had plans of taking a shortcut through the TEELOK.

On the following morning at O-dark-thirty we entered Long Island Sound heading for Port Jefferson (LI) and we still had the trailing wind. If your lucky, you can time this passage on a favorable flood tide. We were lucky and managed to use just about the full tidal change. With a favorable wind and tide, it was almost like we could do no wrong. Port Jefferson is a large harbor with an easy entry and plenty of room to anchor. The ferry from Bridgeport (CT) stops here and there is plenty of restaurants etc. ashore. They also have a shuttle service so getting ashore is not a problem. Leaving Port Jeff, we headed for Manhasset Bay/Port Washington. It’s a short leg, about 30 miles, but I find it a good jumping off point for transiting NYC. Would you believe, the easterlies held again and the tide was favorable. I’ve got to be doing something right. Once in the Bay, I stopped to top the tanks for the run down the NJ Coast.

The time of slack water at Hells Gate, going to ebb no less, was early afternoon which meant we’d be into Atlantic Highlands(NJ) well before dark. Leaving just short of 1100, put us at Hells Gate at the desired 1300 hours. After that we got an added push from the outgoing tide. I was a little concerned as to what I’d find as far as added security in the harbor; however, with the exception of a couple small police boats, that I don’t remember seeing before, no added security was noted. There was a little breeze, but by the time we got to the breakwater at Atlantic Highlands, it was flat calm. Here’s hoping this holds well into tomorrow as it is suppose to come up out of the south. When I got up at 0445, the weather conditions were a repeat of the previous evening - hot and still. I managed to get underway a little after 0500. The trip around Sandy Hook and down the coast was most uneventful. To me, the New Jersey coast is boring and this time was no exception. I was thinking of putting into Barnegat, about the half way point, but progress was good so I continued on. When we got just short of Little Egg Inlet, the wind came up creating short steep seas over the shallows and progress came to screeching halt. It was to be a late arrival at Atlantic City. As usual, I set the hook in the river just off of Harrah’s Casino. There were three other boats already in for the night. It was a long day, about 14 hours, and I was tired; however, it felt good to have most of the NJ Coast behind. I almost forgot, spotted a pelican off AC. I’d seen them in the southern Chesapeake, but never this far north.

The following morning, again about 0500, I set the pointy end again heading south. This time the destination was Cape May (NJ). It is not a long leg, being about 30 miles. It was an easy stretch and we managed to get in a little before noon. After topping the tanks and adding a little ice, I went back to the edge of the Coast Guard station to anchor for the evening, get cleaned up and relax. I should add, where it was warm in AC, here in Cape May, it was just plain ugly. Oh yes, just short of getting in, I sited a large three masted square rigger, under sail, heading north. It might have been the Coast Guard’s EAGLE.

The winds were predicted to turn from the west to the northwest during the "night" so the following morning up the Delaware we went. I figuring we’d be at the Canal before the shift. The trip up the Delaware was relatively uneventful. When we got north to Cross Ledge the wind started to build and effect our forward progress, but by this time we were almost to the point where the flood currents started to kick in to counter the wind. When the C & D Canal breakwaters came into view, I felt like I was almost in the barn. We made a fairly quick passage through the canal and anchored behind the Corp. of Engineers for the night. On the following morning we were underway fairly early to make sure we weren’t going to run aground leaving the anchorage - it was a falling tide and things have gotten a little thin along the bulkhead. The trip down the Bay was uneventful. After a short trip up the Magothy, the TEELOK was back at the pier. It was a good trip; however, it was also good to be back. We had little fog on this one. When you head north you never know what your going to find, fog wise. There was only a few times when we had the RADAR turned on. Temperatures were generally in the seventies during the day and sixties during the evening(i.e., quite pleasant). Met a lot of nice people and managed to find a few places where we hadn’t been before which is always fun. With all this said, I think the biggest draw to me and the reason I keep going back is the beauty of the place. I find the Maine Coast one of the prettiest places anywhere. (Note: The entire account of Wayne's "Down East" Cruise may be viewed on the following web site:






Ocean Navigator - A great site for serious cruisers - includes discussion groups and much more.


TIDES END LTD. Bellingham Chart Printers Division - Nautical Chart reproductions at discount prices.





By Tom and Kaye Assenmacher


Our major refurbishment of our 1975 yawl, SHEARWATER is now complete. In fact, we just returned from a 3+ week "shakedown" cruise on the Chesapeake, with "all systems operating normally". This project consisted of replacing the original MD-2B Volvo with a 37 HP Kubota-based engine/Hurth 150A reduction gear (Phasor P4-37-05), and new exhaust system (2" VETUS). Removal of all bottom paint from the hull was followed by an InterProtect barrier coat on the hull. All electrical systems were rebuilt/rewired including the installation of new AC and DC panels, installation of a "smart" battery charger, and a Balmar 70 amp alternator with "smart" regulator.

All internal plumbing systems were rebuilt or refurbished (new plumbing hoses, all tanks cleaned, head rebuilt, shower sump rebuilt). Magnesium anode rods were fitted to the interior of the aluminum water tanks to prevent pitting of the tank interior surfaces (some pitting was noted).

Since the rudder had a small crack near the bottom, the rudder was removed and repaired, along with rebuilding the lower pintle which was worn (lower rudder stock drilled and tapped for a 5/8" bronze bolt).

We replaced the stern tube with a 316 SS tube, and the cutless bearing and prop and prop shaft as part of the engine replacement. The old 13"x14" LH prop was replaced with a 14"x 11 RH prop.

All propane gas lines were replaced and all gas appliances were checked for proper operation (Shipmate galley stove and Paloma "instant" hot water heater).

The second stage of the project included completely stripping of the interior (basically removing anything that was screwed onto the boat) and repainting/re-varnishing the removed components, and repainting the interior. The interior and removed components were first washed down with Trisodium Phosphate (TSP) (actually TSP substitute) to remove any embedded dirt and grime. All "Robertson" square head screws and finish washers were replaced with new SS fasteners (bought by the box – there are a lot of fasteners!).

We used "Ace Hardware" polyurethane gloss floor and deck enamel for the interior paint (linen – an off-white). All varnished surfaces were sanded with 150 grit paper and finished with at least 2 coats of Parks gloss polyurethane floor finish (purchased at a local surplus store for $9.00/gal!!!).

Electronics upgrades included the addition of a Garmin GPS unit and a JRC 2000 radar unit (radar antenna mounted on the mizzen mast just above the spreaders with a Lilly 4000 radar mount). The radar was installed in anticipation of a planned "Down East" cruise to Maine.






Bob and Linda Grindahl have tentatively offered to help coordinate a "North Great Lakes Alberg Rendezvous" in 2004, provided there is enough interest in such an event. Bob notes that place good place for the rendezvous would be the North Channel of Lake Huron, where on occasion there have been 4 Albergs at anchor in Browning Cove of Haywood Island. Members interested and/or wishing to volunteer to help coordinate such an event are invited to contact Bob and Linda at:

5661 Noel Court

Saginaw, MI 48603-3673

Tel: 989.791.4268







Due to the proliferation of SPAM on the Internet, we no longer publish Email addresses on the A-37 web site (or in the quarterly newsletter) unless you request otherwise). Please visit and participate in the USERS FORUM periodically as there may be a topic for which you are an "expert"! We also invite you to send maintenance, project, cruising, etc. articles to us for inclusion in the newsletter (and for posting on the web site). We prefer you send the text material in WORD format via email attachment (text in the body of an Email is OK, but takes a bit of "massaging" to get it into the proper format).

We also welcome photos of your boats for inclusion in the "Photo Gallery" – we like the photos to be in JPG format if at all possible but can handle most other formats (we can also scan your photos if you want to send a hardcopy). Keep the file size fairly small (50-60 Kb works well). We recently passed the 23000 hit mark for the website.

Additionally, we’d like you to periodically check your "vital statistics" on the Member List and let us know what changes need to be made by use of "Member Input Form" on the "Join Us" page on the web site. We attempt to keep the Member List up to date.

We still need your Email address updates for the A-37 Roster, which is not publicly posted. If you want a copy of the roster let us know and we'll either Email a copy to you or send a hardcopy if desired.



2003 Alberg 37 Summer Rendezvous


Tentative plans are to hold the 2003 Summer Rendezvous at the Oakville Yacht Squadron (OYS), Oakville, Ontario in the early summer of 2003 (probably late June, 2003). Like the 2001 Alberg Rendezvous which was held at the OYS, fellow members, Karen Kinnear and Marcel Steinz, ( sloop/cutter SOUTHERN CROSS), has again graciously offered to host the event. We will publish the exact dates as soon as the OYS 2003 calendar becomes firm. This location will allow more Canadian members to participate in the annual Rendezvous. Start making plans now to attend this fun event!





by the Editor


The purpose of the newsletter is to provide a vehicle for the exchange of ideas relating to our Alberg 37 experiences (good and bad), maintenance tips, cruising information and to maintain a roster of Alberg 37 owners. We suggest a donation of $10.00 U.S. a year to cover costs of publishing the quarterly newsletter, postage, Xerox services, and of course, maintaining the web site. We also suggest to our Non-U.S. members that they send an International Money Order payable in U.S. dollars (a Canadian Postal Money Order works for Canadian members).

You will notice a date on the label of the newsletter mailing. This is a reminder of your responsibility to help maintain the newsletter / association. For those receiving the newsletter notice via Email, we ask that you honor your commitment to the Association. The Association appreciates your help!

Also, note our group's agreement with BOAT U.S. whereby we get membership for half price ($9.50 vice $19.00) as members of a cooperating group. Please mention that you are a member of the Alberg 37 Owners Group and include the Cooperating Group number GA 83253 S when you join Boat U.S. or send in your annual renewal of membership. Boat U.S. membership is no longer required to make purchases from their stores or catalog, however, membership is still required for the purchase of boaters insurance.

If you are transiting the Chesapeake Bay, please plan to stop by Kinsale for a few days (or longer). It's only about 10 miles off the Bay (up the Potomac to the Yeocomico River), and our area is very secluded, protected (good hurricane hole) and quiet, and a very good cruising area, especially in the fall. We always have a couple of open slips. Each fall/spring we have several ‘snowbirds’ stop on their way south/north.

Please note our Kinsale VA phone number: (804) 472-3853 - leave a message if we aren’t at home.

If we inadvertently missed any of your correspondence, just hit us again – we’ve been getting a lot of mail, especially email. REMEMBER, THIS IS YOUR NEWSLETTER!

Have a great Alberg Winter and upcoming Spring. – Keep the letters and emails coming and get those boats ready for sailing ……AND THINK SPRING!!!!



Tom and Kaye Assenmacher